when i first began, i heard from somewhere that a vibrato was a shake of the wrist causing the finger to wobble a bit in the fret and creating a vibrato. but 10 mins a go i watch an amazing video of some guy giving a lesson on vibrato. he was bending the strings a little with a circular motion of his wrist. it looked and sounded awesome, but when i tried to do it, i couldn't. instead of moving my wrist, just my finger was wiggling up and down bending the string. so the way i taught myself originally is the only way for me to do it, since i have practised it so long. is this an incorrect technique, or just a variation?
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
when you bend a string, do you move your wrist at all. I do. It's an extension of that. You have to practice a bit to get it down. If you practice bends that way, it kinds works the same thing at the same time.
leave me alone, please.
It just a variation. Vibrato is just raising and lowering the pitch with little fast bends. You can actually bend the string quickly, or you can wiggle your finger/whole hand. Or you can use wide vibrato with slightly slower "bends", but they're more extreme. (higher)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
^^yeah, i shake my wrist pretty fast from side to side. actually, i think i will use my technique, except for when i have to perform a vibrato on a bent note, but that seems more natural for me
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Quote by cobaindrix
^^yeah, i shake my wrist pretty fast from side to side. actually, i think i will use my technique, except for when i have to perform a vibrato on a bent note, but that seems more natural for me

Ya thats what I do. And it works totally fine, so dont worry about these other techniques.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
When you shake your wrist do you do it left and right or back and forth? I know stupid question, but i need help.
George Lynch uses an even more different form of vibrato, sometimes called the "whack off" vibrato. He actually slides up and down the string at a VERY fast rate, not venturing far from the note he wants to accent. This is a cool sound vibrato if mastered...it almost sounds like you're wiggling the whammy bar, but different.