Hi guys,
I'm planning to get my first guitar / amp.
I play the acoustic guitar but I'm totally new to Electric guitars.

I need a general recommendation on which kinds of guitar to look for when I visit a local music store.

Some of the styles/artists I'm inspired by and interested in learning to play

Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Led Zepplin
John Petrucci

Basically, I would like to have a guitar that could sound decent with all variety of music genre.

My budget is not much considering this is my first guitar.
I'm planning to spend around 300-400 on guitar and 200-300 on the amp.

I'm looking into Ibanez RG series and Fender Strat, but I'm not sure if either of those is good for my music taste.

Since local store doesn't carry every single model, if you could point out some series and brands I should look for, I would appreciate it alot!

Thanks !
ibanez rg321 for the guitar and a roland cube would be a nice combo. a hughes and kettner ss combo amp could be nice too.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Thanks for the recommendation kanamvar.

Here is a newbie question.

I know that Line6 Spider series comes with different tune settings, I'm totally new with this so bare with me, Can Roland Cube or any amp be adjusted so that I can get different tunes (To make it sound Satrianish sometime, Vai'ish sometime, and Johnsonish sometime?)

And also, I've heard that Ibanez RG sounds pretty heavy, do you think that would be ok for variety of genre?

Thanks man
You should find a friend to go shopping with you. Get a versatile guitar. Something with humbucking AND single coil pickups. Be sure to play lots of guitars and see which one feels best. Don't go out and buy a Gibson, but don't come back with a used Squier either. You need a fine touch, like a lockpicker. Some good brands for your situation are Ibanez, Jackson (dinky series), and Fender. Maybe Epiphone, if you're into Les Pauls and SGs. look for a $300-$400 guitar.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
the line6 does have presets but i dont think any will get you the exact tones you want. the best thing to do is get a good amp and dial in the tone you want by turning knobs and whatnot. you can write down the settings you like and keep experimenting.

most ppl use the rg for metal and the like because the mahogany body, thin neck, and humbuckers are good for that style of music. However, you can play a variety of music with the guitar. the amp settings are going to be the most important part of the style you want to play, not the guitar. you can play blues with that guitar, just have your amp set to the proper settings.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
the line6 just cant do any of the tones of the artists you listed because it isnt a tube amp

for that price range for a Fender Mexican Fat Strat and Vox AD30VT
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
I agree the Ibanez RG series would be nice for what you want to do. For an amp in that price range you can't really go wrong with a Spider or a Cube. While they may not be perfect you will be able to play with the settings they offer and find something you like. Pretty versatile amps and really good for a beginner that wants a few more options in their amp.
Don't get a spider.
Over-priced digital lump of sound.
2 of my band mates have one and they sound crap. There's no feeling or depth to them. Stick any guitar in them an it just sucks out all of your tone.

TBH as you seem to be into quite a broad range of music a HSS strat would work nice.
A Vox AD30VT or roland cube 30 would be a great match.