On Nikki Sixx's very sexy "Blackbird" signature bass (which isn't in production anymore), it's supposed to have an "Opti-Grab" neck or something.

Can someone tell me what exactly this "Opti-Grab" thing is? I read this:

NS: All of my basses have to have the Opti Grab, which is where I keep my finger to move my basses when I'm playing since the T-bird is a neck-heavy instrument. A lot of guys that have picked up my bass have said "man, why didn't anyone else think of that?"

I don't understand. Has anyone played one/knows what he's talking about?
that sounds interesting..
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
actually Epiphone has just released the blackbird, check it out yourself but I have no idea what this Opti-grab thing is
I'll take an educated guess at it.

From what it looks like, it seems to be merely a finger rest located just behind the bridge. I'm guesstimating that he hooks his pinky finger there and plays, which probably gives him good control over the bass body, as Thunderbirds have heavier necks due to their composition and shape. I'm not too sure of the neccesity of it, but it just might be used because he prefers playing closer to the bridge, where the strings have less give than near the neck.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
the opti-grab is a little handle you put on your glasses to keep them from falling off your nose
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by MaidenRules666
the opti-grab is a little handle you put on your glasses to keep them from falling off your nose

^^thats what i was gonna say! its from The Jerk watch it
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
My problem is the lube,it's not easing the pain,it just makes it less gripy

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait a minute! Do they send the boxes in boxes!?

EASY MONEY!!!!
Like everyone else said, he rests his little finger on it to help position the bass and it also keeps his hand in position for picking right by the bridge. Here is a pic of him using it
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It's a novel solution, but the neck dive on Thunderbirds is easily solved by moving the strap button from the shoulder of the bass to the back of the neck, where it meets the body. Granted it's a bit more difficult on the Gibsons due to the neck-through design (as opposed to the Epi version with a bolt-on neck), but it's still an easy fix.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by MaidenRules666

The Opti-Grab has been discontinued for some time, however. It was notorious for making people go crosseyed.
Quote by canadianpunk071
It's a novel solution, but the neck dive on Thunderbirds is easily solved by moving the strap button from the shoulder of the bass to the back of the neck, where it meets the body. Granted it's a bit more difficult on the Gibsons due to the neck-through design (as opposed to the Epi version with a bolt-on neck), but it's still an easy fix.

Don't you mean from the back of the neck to the shoulder like Tony Iommi did? I have an sg guitar and the button is right behind the neck and if I'm not holding on or have a high friction strap on then it just sinks.

Also the opti grab looks pretty uncomfortable in my opinion.
It looks like it would be really uncomfortable. Maybe you get used to it after a while but I don't think I could keep my pinky like that for an entire show, let alone many years worth.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
It looks like it would be really uncomfortable. Maybe you get used to it after a while but I don't think I could keep my pinky like that for an entire show, let alone many years worth.

It does look really uncomfortable but if he finds it helpful then good for him. I couldn't play a whole gig with my pinky hooked in there though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by musiclover2399
Don't you mean from the back of the neck to the shoulder like Tony Iommi did? I have an sg guitar and the button is right behind the neck and if I'm not holding on or have a high friction strap on then it just sinks.

Also the opti grab looks pretty uncomfortable in my opinion.

No, I mean what I said. The SG is not a Thunderbird.

EDIT: Alright I've had my morning coffee. The SG is neck-heavy with the strap button on the back of the neck (or neck joint, rather) because the body is quite short, so the strap button is far removed from the guitar's centre of gravity. On a Thunderbird, the body is proportionally longer, and the shoulder is actually further away from the centre of gravity than the neck joint. So, moving the strap button from the shoulder to the back of the neck puts the strap button roughly at the centre of gravity, alleviating any neck dive.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 18, 2007,
I see what you're saying but I wouldn't consider it more difficult to do on gibbys since the strap button IS on the neck joint on the gibby versions. Like go on musiciansfriend and take a look at a gibby thunderbird and there's no strap button on the shoulder.

Also it would be difficult to move the button from the shoulder to the neck joint on an epi considering there's a metal plate there (assuming they're like fender and other brand bolt ons)

Judging from that picture up above it seems Nikki felt the need to move the button to the shoulder, like on an SG. It's not just about the body, the headstocks on T/F birds are just plain heavier than most as well.
Quote by musiclover2399
I see what you're saying but I wouldn't consider it more difficult to do on gibbys since the strap button IS on the neck joint on the gibby versions. Like go on musiciansfriend and take a look at a gibby thunderbird and there's no strap button on the shoulder.

Also it would be difficult to move the button from the shoulder to the neck joint on an epi considering there's a metal plate there (assuming they're like fender and other brand bolt ons)

Judging from that picture up above it seems Nikki felt the need to move the button to the shoulder, like on an SG. It's not just about the body, the headstocks on T/F birds are just plain heavier than most as well.

Gibson only very recently moved the strap button to the back of the neck. All the old models had it on the shoulder.

As for the Epi, it's a very common and easy mod. You unscrew one of the neck joint bolts, thread it through the strap button, and attach the strap button that way, directly into the joint.

And I never said it was about the body, I said it was a matter of moving the strap button closer to the bass' centre of gravity.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by musiclover2399
Sure sounds like a simple enough fix.

Yeah it is, I did it to my old Thunderbird (which is no longer with me, traded it in for an Aerodyne P-bass), and it took 5 minutes. It completely got rid of any neck dive, too.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

It does look really uncomfortable but if he finds it helpful then good for him. I couldn't play a whole gig with my pinky hooked in there though.

When I have looked at pictures of Nikki using the Opti-grab. I have found that he dosen't hook his finger in it. He pushes the bass down when he uses the Opti-grab. He only use it when he play open strings. Like a true metal man he then takes his left hand of the neck and make heavy metal hand movment. So he only use the opti-grab when he let go of the bass neck. As I have found it...
come on...... this thread is nearly 3 years old...
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think