Which one of these amp heads would be the best and for the money?
I know avt= advanced valvestate technology with the sound and feel of an all valve amp.The gt1200h = flexwave evolution 5 preamp technology for tube tone and feel..
O.K. Any comments?
yeah, they're both overpriced. buy used or not at all. the AVT is better than the crate, but stay away from both. I have both, I'd know. Get a tube combo, you'll be much better off. Let someone else tell you what to get, I'm not very good at that part...

what kind of music do you play?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
+1 with Sid. Just don't get those amps at all, very over priced.

How much money are you willing to spend?

What types of tones would you like to achieve?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I play rock-metal. But anyway I've heard that you only get the full effect of a tube amp at full volume to saturate the tubes, and that solid state amps are better for in house playing,and you get the same tone of a tube amp at a lower volume, but still can be heard over a drummer.
^...which is why I prefer tube amps over solidstate amps.

Lower volume in tube amps DOES NOT mean it's going to sound like a solid state amp....and yes, tube amps at cranked volumes sound...so creamy *smiles*.

But yeah, just because you can't crank it and have to put it at lower volumes---it does NOT mean it's not going to sound good.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I have played on a national level, and you know what? I prefer solid-state... and I don't suck, and neither does my tone. I own a gt1200 head, and I bought it to REPLACE my 5150 head... tell ya something? You have to crank a tube amp to get great tone, while you DON'T have to crank a solid-state head... and in most/all live applications, you are micd up, thus requiring a lower that full-blast volume. Lok around, you will see some notable pros that use solid-state.

Get the Crate GT1200H.
Quote by CausticBurn
I have played on a national level, and you know what? I prefer solid-state... and I don't suck, and neither does my tone. I own a gt1200 head, and I bought it to REPLACE my 5150 head... tell ya something? You have to crank a tube amp to get great tone, while you DON'T have to crank a solid-state head... and in most/all live applications, you are micd up, thus requiring a lower that full-blast volume. Lok around, you will see some notable pros that use solid-state.

Get the Crate GT1200H.

Mos tpros use solid states? Any "pros" to back this up? Compared to the 5 solid states i have had(mg, spider,Fxt's,g's, avt) they dont even compare to my tube amps even at low volumes. They sounded incredibly muddy and closed, while the tube amps even at low volumes kept an open tight sound. They sound splendid cranked, but even with the volume at one they shit over my ss amps.

adn tube break up in the gain stage actually happens at a pretty low volume. so even if you arent cranking you are still getting some saturation.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Mos tpros use solid states? Any "pros" to back this up? Compared to the 5 solid states i have had(mg, spider,Fxt's,g's, avt) they dont even compare to my tube amps even at low volumes. They sounded incredibly muddy and closed, while the tube amps even at low volumes kept an open tight sound. They sound splendid cranked, but even with the volume at one they shit over my ss amps.

adn tube break up in the gain stage actually happens at a pretty low volume. so even if you arent cranking you are still getting some saturation.

You played some shit solid state amps. I'd bet anything you play some 1000 tube amp. Play a solid state amp at the same price level then continue talking shit. There are quite a few solid states out that can really dish out the tone. So don't be a dick. But to the TS, those amps aren't really too nice, the crate will probably have a decent clean channel but that's it really.
Quote by iggypoo
You played some shit solid state amps. I'd bet anything you play some 1000 tube amp. Play a solid state amp at the same price level then continue talking shit. There are quite a few solid states out that can really dish out the tone. So don't be a dick. But to the TS, those amps aren't really too nice, the crate will probably have a decent clean channel but that's it really.

For the solid states in the TS price range, most of them are in the crap range like the ones he is considering. And like you said Few. But the ones he listed and the one caustic said arent part of that few. And i have played some extremely good solid states (Roland Jazz Chorus rack head, tis a beut).
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
well out of those 2 the AVT is a much better choice, ive also played nationally, and i bought the AVT for touring, simply because it does have some good tones and i diddnt want my 2,000-3,000 dollar tube amps stolen, it took me awhile to find the tones, but they are there, the one thing about it is, too much volume will make it cut out so id mic the cab, avt cabs are shit, dont buy 1, i ran mine through a 60a, now ive played crates, and their distortion is horrible with almost no definition or warmth, plus the clarity just doesnt exist, so i queston you as a pro if you went from a 5150 to a crate and diddnt notice a decrease in overall tonal value
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
well, dimebag darrell used solid states, and he sounds great..... but I think I would rather still get a tube.
Quote by rockr09
well, dimebag darrell used solid states, and he sounds great..... but I think I would rather still get a tube.

His playing sounds great. His tone is quite poor.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
"tube tone and feel"
"sound and feel of an all valve amp"

That's bullshit. You don't get the tube tone and feel, blah blah blah, etc. without an actual tube amp. I've tried plenty of those wannabe tube amps. It's just not the same. And, if this hasn't been said yet, both are severely overpriced.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Der_Teufel
Which one of these amp heads would be the best and for the money?
I know avt= advanced valvestate technology with the sound and feel of an all valve amp.The gt1200h = flexwave evolution 5 preamp technology for tube tone and feel..
O.K. Any comments?

Should be corrected too.
I know avt= advanced valvestate technology to fool people that they have with the sound and feel of an all valve amp.
The gt1200h = flexwave evolution 5 preamp technology for foooling people they have tube tone and feel..

Both are shite.

Get a tube combo.

CausticBurn, which pros uses solid states exept Dimebag? Well it's gonna take you some time.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by CausticBurn

Get the Crate GT1200H.

You bought a GT1200H to REPLACE a 5150!?

You have to be insane.

Dont get me wrong, there are some very nice solid state amps out there, High end Line 6's like the vetta, Roland Jazz Chorus, Even the cubes are pretty damn good.

But a GT1200H to replace a 5150? Something just doesnt add up. I'd love to hear some soundclips of this amazing tone you have, and a list of exactly what equipment you used to acheive it
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by CausticBurn

Get the Crate GT1200H.

Yeah,I've had the CRATE GT1200H/G412SL half stack for over a year now.I love this amp, I push it and it delivers,I back off and it responds super.
This thread was started for a buddy,to see what the people here at UG thought.
Well,my buddy did buy the AVT150HX pluged it into a marshall 1960b cab ,played it for about a week,then sent it back.Because he thought my CRATE smoked the marshall AVT.Which it did!Now the AVT150 has more features than the GT1200,but nothing to brag about.The GT1200 has the better sound and value,quality is about even.
Oh hell yeah, I prefer solid state over tube also.It seems you have to push a tube amp to get a some what of a good sound out of it.But you can get the same great sound out of a solid state at a low volume or at full blast!and you don't have to worry about blowing/replacing tubes.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
"tube tone and feel"
"sound and feel of an all valve amp"

That's bullshit. You don't get the tube tone and feel, blah blah blah, etc. without an actual tube amp. I've tried plenty of those wannabe tube amps. It's just not the same. And, if this hasn't been said yet, both are severely overpriced.

No,you and gable both are full of shit!Solid State sounds just as good or even better than a tube.Oh and tube amps(marshall's)are way over priced,well I do agree that marshall's solid state sucks ass and over priced also.Crate rocks!
Quote by Gabel
Should be corrected too.
I know avt= advanced valvestate technology to fool people that they have with the sound and feel of an all valve amp.
The gt1200h = flexwave evolution 5 preamp technology for foooling people they have tube tone and feel..

Both are shite.

Get a tube combo.

CausticBurn, which pros uses solid states exept Dimebag? Well it's gonna take you some time.

*Insert Jazz artist here* and he's banned anyway

Quote by Der_Teufel
No,you and gable both are full of shit!Solid State sounds just as good or even better than a tube.Oh and tube amps(marshall's)are way over priced,well I do agree that marshall's solid state sucks ass and over priced also.Crate rocks!

I agree on tube amps being overpriced, but many SS amps (or just all) don't sound as good as a tube. Yes, there are the higher end amps like the Jazz Chorus, but you really can't get any distortion out of that anyway. If you play insane death metal with drop B tuning, then maybe an SS amp would help. Or if you play Jazz. The threadstarter plays neither, and he plays generic rock and metal. He wants to get a great tone and with the AVT or the Crate, he isn't gonna get it at all.
Sent from my iPad.
if your buddy traded a AVT for a crate he obviously diddnt try to take time to eq it properly, ive played about every crate from the stealths, the GTs, the VTXs, and the Blue Voodoos, and they all are subpar amps at best, older ones had no gain, new ones have gain but lost any shread of tone they had, BVs are ok amps for punk or classic rock, but for as many tubes as they have they have no gain for more modern type of musics.
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by Der_Teufel

Well since i got my tube amp i haven't wanted a solid state amp ever since.

Well i agree that Marshall can make some overpriced tube amps, but some makers (Epiphone, Laney, Orange) makes tube amps that are worth their price.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by dertjoe
if your buddy traded a AVT for a crate he obviously diddnt try to take time to eq it properly, ive played about every crate from the stealths, the GTs, the VTXs, and the Blue Voodoos, and they all are subpar amps at best, older ones had no gain, new ones have gain but lost any shread of tone they had, BVs are ok amps for punk or classic rock, but for as many tubes as they have they have no gain for more modern type of musics.

No,he didn't trade the avt for a crate(sent back and not replaced yet).The crate is mine,so when he got the avt we did a side by side comparison,and the crate spanked the avt note for note on every setting we tried.The avt has a great classic rock sound own its own,but when we tested pedals with it,it slacked where as the crate picked up.I use the clean channel on my crate with a zoom 606(not thru loop but as pre amp,and just for cleans,chorus,delay,plus output level,etc..) I use my mt-2 for distortion.Not to mention I have some bad ass pickups.
I suppose that the solid state versus tube argument will rage on for decades,but I say use what you like,and what you can afford ,make it sound as best as you can and ROCK ON!!
^Well the AVT doesn't have a geat classic rock tone, actually it has no good tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^Well the AVT doesn't have a geat classic rock tone, actually it has no good tone.

Yeah, you are correct.I was just giving the AVT a little credit.But the Crate kicked the hell out of marshall in this little experiment!!!!
whats with this argument

you cant seriously expect to win an argument that ss is better than tube.

A $1000 tube amp vs a $1000 solid state

there is no competition, you fail
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?