A friend of mine bought a Jackson recently, equipped with Seymour Duncans. As for me, I have an Ibanez equipped with DiMarzio's. There's ups and downs about the two guitars. Being a bolt-on neck Jackson, it's got that huge "Block" right there where it doesn't need to be (The back side of the neck where the upper frets are), and my Ibanez doesn't have that problem. However, the Jackson has a heavier sound to it.

Don't get me wrong...I like my DiMarzio pick-ups and all...I just want a heavier sound. It may be the pick-ups, the amp I use, the wood on each guitar, the kind of wood it's made of, where the guitars were made, or any, if not all, of that. I personally think it's the pick-ups though.

I've been looking into EMG's, which I believe will give me the kind of sounds I want. From what I've read, they can give you heavy metal sounds, bluesy sounds, and about everything in between. I'm leaning toward an EMG 81 in the bridge, but I don't know what to put in the neck. It's either a...

EMG 85
EMG 89
EMG 60

One of those pick-ups. They all seem to be good pick-ups to me. My neck pick-up doesn't have to be an EMG, just something that will sound good both clean and distorted. It just kind of makes more logical sence to me if I had two EMG's in it.

One more thing...I have a single coil between the two DiMarzio humbuckers. I thought about changing it (Just to give some other pick-ups a try). I've been looking at the DP217 YJM Pickup (Yngwie Malmsteen pickup). I don't know...maybe I should just throw in a single coil EMG or just leave what I have in (Since I don't use it that much, but I'd still like to try different pick-ups).

I'd appreciate any feedback related to the topic.
Thanks
I've heard bad about hotrails. They probably wouldn't give you the sounds you want. I'm not really too sure about pickups, but you might want to check out Bareknuckle Pickups, they make some pretty nice ones. You can email Tim over there and he'll do what he can to help.
Go with the Duncans. Hell, go with the Duncan Livewires.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club