Ive pretty much decided on a Marshall tube amp, but cant decide between the JCM's, either the 800, 900 or even the 2000's (DSL 401). Im looking for a combo amp, and as im going marshall and tube its gonna have to be second hand.

I have a Fender Strat and I will be getting a Les Paul in the future. This is will be my first tube amp, I play mainly rock, everything from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, GnR, Black Sabbath, ACDC, Wolfmother, Metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera and blues like Clapton, SRV etc

Also cleans are important, im looking for Hendrix, Chili Peppers type cleans

Heres some links to some amps im looking at on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM-800-Lead-Series_W0QQitemZ230090450705QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM-800-Lead-Valve-Combo-and-Handmade-1x12-Cab_W0QQitemZ170079334782QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note that with the JCM 800 with the 1x12 cab im only interested in the amp and have asked to buy it seperately. What do you think both are worth are they worth buying or should I wait for a 900 to come up. Basically which is better for me, the 900 or the 800, in terms of versatality and the tones im trying to get.
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Get a jcm 800 with an OD pedal. Will nail your tones!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Also does anyone know what yr models they are, the sellers say that the are 1980s models but does anyone know what year (roughly) in particular?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
id say if you can get a jcm 800 and not sure bout the year sorry. ask for the letter or something it has on it. im sure if you search on google theres a few sites that tell you how to find out when they were made. i think before 1993 they are all lettered or something
this is what i heard - jcm800 = best classic amp then while the number rises, how modern it gets does too
I reckon the JCM 800 would suit you perfectly!

But you might be better off looking into a 2x12 combo, since it'd definitely improve the amazing tone that it has... And get an OD-pedal, Maxon OD9 or sumthing to get the Pantera like tones
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

The JCM800's look like a 4210's, it's the 2 channel one probably late 80's. If you can get the serial numbers you'd be able to find out what year. But basically they look just like my 50W JCM800 but 1x12 instead of 2x12. They're the combo version of the 2205 head.
Last edited by treagar at Feb 17, 2007,
im thinking the JCM800 for more classic rock/metal and an overdrive for your more modern stuff
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Get a JCM800, and don't worry about what year or model it is. They are all amazing amps. Just find the best deal on one you can. You won't be disappointed. I've owned single and dual channel JCM800's. They both are fine.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Dude come on... how can you compare a JCM800 to a 900 or 2000? JCM800 destroys those other ones for every possible type of music. Why not even got early get a a pre 1980 marshall.... MV JMP, NMV Superlead, Plexi superlead, JTM45... basically for marshall the earlier the better. a Plexi would destroy the jcm800 for anything.

EDIT: If you get a JCM800 for gods sake dont get anythign other than a 2203/2204!!!! the others are shit when compared.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
wow, there are so many things you are wrong about I don't even know where to start. You need to re-evaluate your entire view on amplifiers
JCM900 I'd say, as it's more versitile than a single channel JCM800, and you seem like you need a bit of versitility.

But it depends on which amp you prefer the sound of.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
jcm900..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Yeah... Get the JCM900! Your never gonna play Metallica stuff with the 800`s. Plus, the 900 got great cleans! JCM900 Mate
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Devon8822
Dude come on... how can you compare a JCM800 to a 900 or 2000? JCM800 destroys those other ones for every possible type of music. Why not even got early get a a pre 1980 marshall.... MV JMP, NMV Superlead, Plexi superlead, JTM45... basically for marshall the earlier the better. a Plexi would destroy the jcm800 for anything.

EDIT: If you get a JCM800 for gods sake dont get anythign other than a 2203/2204!!!! the others are shit when compared.

Just shutup. Have you owned both? I've owned 2203 and 2205 JCM800s. The sound difference is minimal and they are both excellent amps.

I get so sick of people making stupid generalizations (unless its about the mg).
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
Yeah... Get the JCM900! Your never gonna play Metallica stuff with the 800`s. Plus, the 900 got great cleans! JCM900 Mate

You're not serious, are you?
Quote by R_H_C_P
JCM900 I'd say, as it's more versitile than a single channel JCM800, and you seem like you need a bit of versitility.

They are both actually dual channel jcm 800's so does this make it as versatile (or more versatile) than the JCM900.

Also, which has better cleans, the 800 or the 900? Once again im going for Hendrix cleans but cleaner if you get what i mean, like not slightly overdriven and dirty, although i want that too, but i suppose thats just power tube overdrive. I also like Clapton cleans and also Frusciante type cleans are probally my fav cleans. Also is there a world of difference between both amps?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Bump
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
You'll be happy with either. 900's distortion is a bit for contemporary, but it's still pure Marshall. I own two I love them so much!!
If you can get an 800 for a decent deal and its the vert inputs, drake transformer...go for that instead and hold onto it.
The 900's will be around for a decent price for a while, but the 800's are getting harder to find for a reasonable price.
The 900 has better cleans by a mile. JCM800 cleans on the dual channel versions are pretty crappy. Single channel 800 cleans are fairly good but unuseable in a gig situation since you have to plug into the low input to get them.

But...both dual and single channel 800s have much better distortion IMO.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Thewolf_and_man

Plz tell me you have some kind of mental illness and thats why you said that. Metallica Used the 800s all through the 80s that was their tone it will hit any of their first four albums tone
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
So what do you think these amps are worth (these are on Aussie Ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230090450705&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170079334782&rd=1&rd=1

I know this one has ended, but i asked the seller if he would sell seperately cause im only interested in the amp and he said I could make an offer on it so id like to know what i should offer on it.

Also there is a JCM 900 that was taken off Ebay but the seller said he would relist it, heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300070747606&rd=1&rd=1

So, how much are these amps worth?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
I suppose i want the amp with better cleans, because either way the distortion is gunna be great for me, considering my last amp was a behringer modelling amp!
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
^Good luck to you!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i own a 73' slp and a jcm 800...they are by far the most brutal sounding/beautiful sounding amps.........900 just blows chunks.........dsl is very cool......i run an 87 dean v, a 89' gibson v, a 84 american deluxe strat and aold ibanez as-80(335).as well as a 87 rg 560 through them....with volume knob control you can get whatever tones you need.