Hey guys.

My band got offered a gig supporting a band called Dear Superstar next saturday and we need a decision ASAP.

The problem we have is that our set isn't that tight at the moment, although it's good enough to pull it off, plus our songs are decent, our live show will be good, and we waer makeup, so a lot of the show is aesthetic. So 2 members of the band don't think we're ready.

We have a meeting on monday, but if this is too late to confirm, is there any way to convince said members?

It's ****ing hard to get gigs, and it's going to give everyone the kick up the arse they need to get in gear.
when is the gig?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
oh i just noticed... next saturday

well i think if ya can pull it off take the gig and practice alot in next week to make set tight. itll only make you better if you put in the time to ge ta good set.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
^ It's a glam rock band. EDIT: think Kiss, Dolls, Cooper /EDIT

Unfortunately, because certain indivliduals are lazy c*nts, it means there'll only be time for one or two full band rehearsals, although this could be solved provided everyone practice their parts beforehand...

Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Feb 17, 2007,
if their lazy and not capable of putting the work in why are they in the band?
i kicked the singer out and soon to be bassist if he dont get his act together, he bought a straight jacket so couldnt practice which is out of order
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
theyre in the band because they're the only ones I have.

Don;t get me wrong, they're all good musicians, and great people, theyre just a bit undedicated
yeah why do ya think i aint kicked the bassist out yet? cause i havent got another one.
thing is i dont care if they are amazing musicians, can shred like the best, can play slap bass on a 8 string bass or can play drums like joey i dont care about that, if they arent dedicated to play then i dont need them. id rather have a n00b who will put everything into it, put his heart and his soul into it than a person whos amazing but cant be bothered...
and thats my advice to you
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Thing is, I like having good musicians because they can play.

What i don't like is great musicians. We had a great bassist, but he would shred all of the time, and play too many extra notes. Some extra notes is good, but not that many.

Ever played "I'm eighteen by alice cooper". For the main riff, the bass needs to play 3 notes, not shadow the guitar.
I was once in a "band" where the bassist had some kind of mental disorder where he thought he knew a lot about the music business and he would refuse to play any gig because everything had to be "tight." That band was together for about 3 months and had only played 1 gig under a previous incarnation. Also these guys weren't beginners, they were all in their late teens/early 20's.

This band also practiced about 2-3 times a week and while it wasn't "great" music, it still surpassed other local bands I had seen live. This bassist also turned down a $250 2-hour gig because it "wasn't tight and that's not enough money"... Can someone explain why this guy was complaining about money when the band was making $0 at that time? He was in a band before where he claimed they were the biggest band in the scene and were making $500 each a gig.. that was a straight up lie considering I had never heard of the band name they told me and there was no proof.

The point is, you need to start gigging sometime and your first few gigs aren't going to be too high profile. You can also test out material. Now if it's at the point where you can't play a song without a stopping, I would hold off on going out, but you guys should be fine.

About the bassist: About 2 months after that incident, the band broke up and he quit playing. Last I heard he was married and repairing Air conditioners and Heaters for a living. So much for knowing a lot about the music industry, this is a key reason on why I refuse to be in a band with anyone from Delaware again.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
I personally think it's better to take the gig even if you're not that ready, so that you can at least get experience. You may have been in a band for 3 years, practiced your hearts out, and aced every song, but when you go on stage to play in front of people for the first time, it's going to be hell, because you'll have no experience what-so-ever, and you'll either screw up, freeze up, or just stand there and put on a boring show.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
maybe the failure would have given the other guys a kick up the ass
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
u wear makeup? gross
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
go for it. if gigs are so hard to come by for you then this will be valuable experience whether your band is 100% ready or not
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by deathmetalboy
u wear makeup? gross

Aren't you the mature one

Quote by The way to hate
Spend less time applying make up and more time practicing.

The whole...what...5 minutes it takes to do that before an actual show?
Just do it man.. Practice more.. case solved.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Nah, we didn't take the gig.

It doesn't matter, since its sparked a renewal of enthusiasm.

Quote by deathmetalboy
u wear makeup? gross

Don't bump old threads.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Feb 25, 2007,