Hi,
I'm thinking of having heavier strings fitted to my guitar. At the moment I have 09-42. I'm thinking of stepping up to 09-46 or 10-46. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,
Josh
The advantages to heavier strings are that you can downtune without your strings becoming 'flappy', but you may dislike the increased tension.
heavier strings give better tone.smaller strings are quicker. i think!
How about the hybrid strings, 09-46? The top three would be heavier, but the bottom three would be the same.
yeah thats good for drop-d and you can keep the action lower on the higher strings.
if you play a lot of heavy rock or metal and play a mix of rhythm and lead guitar then the hybrid set is nice. It gives you enough at the bottom to chunk on, but is still thin enough up top to solo easily.
Member #1 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club
PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo

Ibanez RG1570
Tone Zone
Paf Pro
Aria STG-003DX
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Boss DD-20
MXR ZW-44
Boss TU-2
heavier strings ring and scratch against the fretboard/wire if you play most notes on the lower strings.

lighter strings can generally make you play faster and is easier to press down and bend. is also good for vibrato.

something medium is good for whammy type stuff if you going to be doing intense dives.

I tried heavy before and I dont like it.
Heavier strings last longer, have better tone and more stable tuning.

However, they are harder to play, harder to bend and hurt your fingers especially if you're not used to them/going a big step up. Try 10s and see how you like 'em. I use D'addario 10's on all guitars now.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
ive never noticed much of a difference between 9-42s and 10-46s.
i mean yeah, a *little* thicker, but we arent talking really big changes.
it took me all of 30 seconds to get used to them and like them more than 9's
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by boardsofcanada
ive never noticed much of a difference between 9-42s and 10-46s.
i mean yeah, a *little* thicker, but we arent talking really big changes.
it took me all of 30 seconds to get used to them and like them more than 9's

Yeah, its a good place to start though.

Personally I wont go any higher than a hybrid 10-52 set or 11s on any guitar which is going into standard tuning... That's just me, though.

Heavier strings have a fuller tone, they seem to last longer and they have more tension (good or bad)

Lighter strings are easier to play but don't last very long and are loose and flappy. I can hardly play on a guitar with 9s anymore when trying to play anything serious at all. I couldn't play necrophagist on 9s if my life depended on it...
IMO skinny top/heavy bottoms are the best kinds of strings. 10s at the bottom for easy bending, without sacrificing too much tone, and 52s at the bottom for a real thick tone.
i havn't used strings that small in a long time. 13-56s on mine right now. but i'm also tuned to B standard. but yea, lighter strings (especially when coming down from heavy ass pianowire like 13's) are blindingly fast but you'll find yourself reaching for the bass knob for the extra bit of 'compensation'
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Try shredding on some 13s, then you know you're awesome. But yeah, bigger strings, bigger tone, no downtuning or super gain boosting going on over here.
Quote by Act
heavier strings ring and scratch against the fretboard/wire if you play most notes on the lower strings.

lighter strings can generally make you play faster and is easier to press down and bend. is also good for vibrato.

something medium is good for whammy type stuff if you going to be doing intense dives.

I tried heavy before and I dont like it.

Heavier strings only rattle against the neck if you hit them too hard, or if the action is too low. To each his own, i find that lighter strings are too loose for me and cause an unwanted bend in the pitch when i pick them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
10-52s ftw.
They don't really make a difference to tone. But they feel nicer.
Quote by beckyjc
10-52s ftw.
They don't really make a difference to tone. But they feel nicer.

I honestly find the tone with lighter strings to sound really wimpy.
.011s ftw. They are light enough to be easily playable, and heavy enough for good tone.

Right now I use .013s though, standard tuning.
going from 9's to 10's inst bad and you dont risk hurting the guitar in the long run

Anything bigger and id suggest a full set-up