Yo guys I am planning on getting new pick ups for my guitar.

Firstly, is it cheap to get it done at the shop? I don't want them to accidentally dent or scratch my guitar or steal my pickups ( ) But what would I need to assemble my pickups? I heard you need a soldering tool.

If you had pickups installed by a tech, how long did it take? Because I'd like to watch the guy do it while I am there.

ANYWAYS

I am deciding between a Evolution bridge or a ToneZone. I am getting an Evolution neck pickup and I am not sure about the single coil. (Using an RG).

By the way what is F-spacing when I buy the Evolutions? Would I want it? Because at sites you can decide between regular or F-spaced.

So yea. ToneZone or Evolution for the bridge pickup? Also what should I get for the single coil and what is humbucker cancelling / true single coil and what is good to get. Thanks a lot
It's usually fairly expensive to get it done at a good shop (£20 or so in the UK) but they usually do a good job if you pay for it. To do the job yourself all you need is the wiring guide, a basic knowledge of electronics, a soldering iron and some solder.

My last pickup installation by a tech took place within the day, it's not a long job to do if you know what you're doing, perhaps half hour to an hour tops.

The Tone Zone and the Evolution are very different. The TZ is not as sensitive or aggressive, but it is still pretty agressive and very big sounding, thanks to the mid boost. It's a brilliant pickup IMO, and best matches with a PAF Pro or Air Norton in the neck. The Evolution i prefer, because it's loud, aggressive, high output so it drives my amp more and it really screams. However, it's not for people with sloppy technique as it really shows mistakes up. IMO the Evo bridge is the best match for the evo neck aside from the Evo 2.

Bear in mind that the Evo has a very very distinctive tone as well, there is nothing quite like it.

F spacing is for tremolo spaced guitars. Your evolution bridge pickup will need to be F spaced because on the FR style trem the strings are spaced wider apart, so the polepieces need to match. Regular spacing is for non-FR guitars. You only need an F spaced bridge pickup, the spacing is regular at the neck, so F spaced bridge, regular spaced neck.

I think the Dimarzio Blue Velvet or Evo single coil would be a good middle single coil with Evo's, but you need the hear them.

go to www.dimarzio.com for a general idea of how the pickups sound, although bear in mind there's shed loads of different gear being used on those clips and the guys in them can usually play really well.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 17, 2007,
well, i also search for a new bridge PU and those dimarzios are my favorites, too. but whats about the drop-sonic? or the emg hz?
Quote by Phyrexo
well, i also search for a new bridge PU and those dimarzios are my favorites, too. but whats about the drop-sonic? or the emg hz?

The HZ is a piece of crap IMO, and theDimarzio D-sonic (i assume that's what you mean?) doesn't really float my boat. It's Good for doing all the metal chug a chug stuff and then breaking out a solo, but it really depends which way round you face the pickup (which way the blade faces). Both sound completely different to the aforementioned Tone Zone and Evolution seeing as they are both considered 'shred' pickups, whereas the ones you mentioned tend to go hand in hand with metal/prog.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
The RG uses F-spaced in both positions, just so's you know. The Evo and Tone Zone both have pretty differing tones, although they're both kind of shred-orientated. You've said that they're your two "favourites", but how did you actually come to that conclusion. The best pickup depends on the kind of sound you're looking for, and also what it is you feel is missing from your current ones .If you can't put your finger on it then it isn't time for new pickups.

Also, what amp are you using - there's no point shelling out for pickups if your amp is no great shakes, it's just a waste of money because you won't get any real benefit from the upgrade other than bragging rights.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Before you decide on EITHER pickup, I'd first find out what kind of wood your guitar body is. That has ALOT to do with the sound, and depending on what you have there's a chance that neither will sound good in your guitar.
Once you find out what you have, contact the pickup manufacturers and see what they'd reccomend. The big problem with buying pickups is once you buy 'em, you bought 'em. Seymour Duncan will let you exchange pickups of equal or lesser value, but there's no returns.
I bought a used LTD with Seymour Duncans in it...and they didn't sound good at all (I know...so why buy it, right? There were other reasons......). I took them out of the LTD and put them in my Flying V, which is mahogany and is 17 years old. And oh man, they just scream!! Between the mahogany wood and being aged, the Duncans were perfect for that particular guitar.
So be patient, and do a little research. They make new pickups every day...it's not like the models you're looking at will disappear forever. You can save yourself alot of disappointment and frustration in the long run.
The Tone Zone pretty much turns an RG into a trick guitar, it's brash, in your face and it makes itself noticed. It has quite a dense, modern sound and a midrange growl that borders on uncouth. However, it doesn't calm down particularly well, an it won't clean up for shit!

RGs are basswood, so they tend to lend themselves to the more robust Dimarzios, what with the neutrality of basswood. There's not an awful lot of character coming from the guitar itself, certainly not compared to alder or mahogany, so the pickups are what ptovide character.

Basswood - the Switzerland of tonewoods....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^That's a good analogy.
Quote by Qazxs
basswood. and I am using a cheap marshall halfstack. the mg100hdfx. looking for a new amp to go with the nice pickups.

The sound I want is something really clear and can reflect each note you are playing. I never had new pickups I always had stock on all of my guitars and they kind of sound bad. So I am definately going to be satisfied with anything I get

I want to get a 'live' sound. What effects would I need besides reverb?

So if I get the Evolutions both neck and bridge have to be F-spaced?

And for the single coil I can't find the Evolution single on it. On the pickup selector for strats on the Dimarzio site what is hum-cancelling and true single coil? Will it affect the humbuckers?
Evolution single isn't available to buy seperately, only on JEMs. You want a true single coil for the middle position ideally, you can wire it to give you hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4. If you want exceptional clarity then you can't really go wrong with Evos, F-spaced in both positions for an RG.

Definitely get a new amp though, the MG is nowhere near good enough to make the most of the sensitivity of the Evos.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks a lot steven seagull. With the pickups I have right now, whenever I choose to go to the middle pickup there is a lot of static and feedback from the amp. You know why?

Whats a good cheap amp to get that's less than 500 and not a stack?
Quote by steven seagull
Evolution single isn't available to buy seperately, only on JEMs. You want a true single coil for the middle position ideally, you can wire it to give you hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4. If you want exceptional clarity then you can't really go wrong with Evos, F-spaced in both positions for an RG.

Definitely get a new amp though, the MG is nowhere near good enough to make the most of the sensitivity of the Evos.

The Evo single coil is available separately from all Dimarzio dealers, but it's not on the website. And F-spaced at the neck isn't a necessity, the strings are narrower at the neck than the bridge. F-spaced probably looks a bit better though.
Quote by Qazxs
Check the string spacing of an RG - it's 51.5mm at both pickups which is F-spaced...there's no point buying a standard spaced pickup when it's designed for F-spaced ones and they're the same price.

You sure about the Evo single? If it is available then Dimarzio need to update their website and it's my bad...

Quote by Dimarzio website
I want to emulate the Vai pickup combination. What kind of single coil should I use?

Evolution® and JEM single-coils are only available on the Ibanez JEM and are not sold through retail channels. You can achieve a similar result by wiring an HS-2™ for single-coil operation only: black wire hot, red and bare wires ground, green and white not connected
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Pah, it'll take more than a shabby, mocked-up web page to convince me...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Don't you be knocking my HTML skills boy!
Quote by Qazxs
so the evolution single is a nono? what should I get for the single then.
Since you're going for shreddy pickups anyways I'd put a DiMarzio YJM in the mid position -- it's got fantastic cleans and quite a different character than the Evos. It should add a bit of versatility for the neck+mid and bridge+mid positions, and I'd use it for the cleans alone.
No, the Evo single coil is on the cards if you want it, you can get it just the same from any Dimarzio dealer.
Quote by Qazxs
well you have a choice for singles
do u want single sized humbucking pups?
if you said yes then go for either a fast track or a chopper
OR do you want silent single coil tone pups??
if you want no 60 cycle hum but that single coil sound go for a virtual vintage
dimarzios and ibanez go together like fish and water
Quote by steven seagull
The Tone Zone pretty much turns an RG into a trick guitar, it's brash, in your face and it makes itself noticed. It has quite a dense, modern sound and a midrange growl that borders on uncouth. However, it doesn't calm down particularly well, an it won't clean up for shit!

RGs are basswood, so they tend to lend themselves to the more robust Dimarzios, what with the neutrality of basswood. There's not an awful lot of character coming from the guitar itself, certainly not compared to alder or mahogany, so the pickups are what ptovide character.

Basswood - the Switzerland of tonewoods....

My RG is mahogany with a maple neck. Can you give any advice for future pickups(for metal lead) in that wood? I'm curious. Looking for aggressive bite for lead work, but something good for 'chuging' during rhythmic progressions.

Sorry, I'm a noob to all this, and like having good advice.
Quote by XibanezedgeX
well you have a choice for singles
do u want single sized humbucking pups?
if you said yes then go for either a fast track or a chopper
OR do you want silent single coil tone pups??
if you want no 60 cycle hum but that single coil sound go for a virtual vintage
dimarzios and ibanez go together like fish and water

What do you mean by single sized humbucking pickups and silent single coil tone?
Quote by Act
What do you mean by single sized humbucking pickups and silent single coil tone?

dimarzio has two types of single coil pups
the single sized humbugers have side by side coils becoming a tiny humbucker
their tone is halfway between full sized humbucker and true single coil
the middle pup is an ex. of that
then dimarzio also has noiseless single coils in their virtual vintage line
they have a true (vintage) single coil tone but are (virtually) silent
they look like a regular single coil pup