I wanted to shine my frets so I put abro tape on either side of all frets and used fine steel wool to shine them. I then peeld them and some areas had a sticky residue which wasn't visible once I oiled it wut cotton. Its all done well but I want to know if this practice is harmful to my rosewood fretboard, or to any fretboard?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
check out Stewart McDonald, they have fret guards for just that reason. they work great too.
I din get u....so is abro tabe bad o good?
Quote by hendo123456789
Quote by grim1
check out Stewart McDonald, they have fret guards for just that reason. they work great too.

What a rip off, as usual. Stew Mac are selling something completely pointless for like $10. They also have a knack for selling tools that are labelled as special guitar tools or whatever, for like 5x the price I could get them for at my local hardware store.

Just use masking tape FFS. When I did up my Ibanez, I polished the frets with T-Cut, and didn't use anything to guard the fingerboard with (it is maple though, but the finish has worn off in places due to wear).
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
What a rip off, as usual. Stew Mac are selling something completely pointless for like $10. They also have a knack for selling tools that are labelled as special guitar tools or whatever, for like 5x the price I could get them for at my local hardware store.

Just use masking tape FFS. When I did up my Ibanez, I polished the frets with T-Cut, and didn't use anything to guard the fingerboard with (it is maple though, but the finish has worn off in places due to wear).

Yep, just use masking tape if you want to leave residue on your fretboard and you dont care about your fretboard. Beware of people that hate on companies for silly reasons, they are just like the fender/gibson haters. Plus, i have no idea what abro tape is. I used tape for a while but found that the fret guards were easier, i use fret guards and 0000 steel wool.
Masking tape is made for putting on wood and other surfaces to PROTECT the wood when painting and such. It leaves no marks or residue. I wouldn't have said it otherwise would I?

If you really want a fretguard, just make one. It won't cot you anything.

I don't really like StewMac because they try and sell you things at really high prices. Like a Mitre Box for $75 dollars. I didn't know the right angle had completely changed for use on fretboards now...
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

I dont really know what a fret guard is....can someone guide me? Give me a link o something
Quote by hendo123456789
Just a little piece of metal with a slot cut into it. The metal covers the fretboard, and the fret wire pokes through the slot in the middle.

Oh thats an interesting idea. But how can I make it? I mean it requires precision to cut the perfect gap.
Quote by hendo123456789