I'm a beginner and I'm looking for a nice, clean practice combo. I have a few specific requirements though. Can you recommend a good amp with these specs?

1. HEADPHONE JACK!! (NYC Apt)
2. low-wattage but clean (tube?)
3. good effects
4. input jack

Tube would be great, but as a beginner solid-state would be fine. I will be playing mostly clean for now, but I really want some good effects to stay interested. My budget is about $200, but could invest a little more if it made a huge difference in sound.

edit: typo...
Last edited by arkistan at Feb 17, 2007,
Microcube ftw.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Microcube ftw.

thats what i was going to say, Roland microcube, its got flanger, reverb, delay, tremolo, phaser,chorus, and its got 7 amp settings
microcube all the way
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
The Roland Cube 20X also falls in my budget range. What would I lose/gain by getting the 20X? If it's simply more effects and same sound quality, then I'll probably stick with the microcube.
Haven't tried the Micro Cube, but the VOX DA-5 is pretty neat I think.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
You listed them as 1, 1, 2 and 4....

Anyway, Microcube is probably best bet.
Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
well, that changes EVERYTHING!!!
vox advt30 or 15, lots of effects, and u can turn the watts up or down as to how loud u want it. and not the most expensive amp around.
Quote by add45
Haven't tried the Micro Cube, but the VOX DA-5 is pretty neat I think.

The Vox DA-5 also looks nice. Is it a tube or solid-state?
Solid-state, I belive. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/daseries/da5.asp

I have one, can't get many amps around here so I have one of those little things. They're small but they can pack a punch. Check out the cool colours on the link I gave
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by arkistan
The Vox DA-5 also looks nice. Is it a tube or solid-state?

It's solid state. It can also run on batteries which is a pretty cool feature for a city boy. You could take your rig out to the park and have people throw change in your guitar case. Unless metal's your bag, I'd recommend the Vox over the Cube.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
so I'm split between the Vox and the Microcube.

I'm not gonna ask which "sounds better" since that can be subjective, but how could the differences in tonal qualities of each?
DA5 is much better for clean.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
The general rule of thumb is that the Cube does metal better, but that the Vox does classic rock, cleans, and everything else better.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yeah, rule of thumb is:

Metal: Roland Cube
Anything else: Vox
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Like those frontman? Those are honestly very horrid.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by arkistan
I'm a beginner and I'm looking for a nice, clean practice combo. I have a few specific requirements though. Can you recommend a good amp with these specs?

1. HEADPHONE JACK!! (NYC Apt)
2. low-wattage but clean (tube?)
3. good effects
4. input jack

Tube would be great, but as a beginner solid-state would be fine. I will be playing mostly clean for now, but I really want some good effects to stay interested. My budget is about $200, but could invest a little more if it made a huge difference in sound.

edit: typo...

As far as i know it is not possible to get tube amps with headphone jacks. Not sure you'll find any amps in this price range with good effects but some have ok ones. I'd go with the Vox AD15VT.
The Stuff!
Yeah I'm pretty much set on getting the AD15VT. It still fits in my budget and should sound better than the DA-5. The only thing is people keep telling me to get the AD30VT due to its power attenuator. Provided I'll always be playing at low volumes in my room, and most of the time with my headphones on, will this additional feature be worth the extra money?
Quote by arkistan
The only thing is people keep telling me to get the AD30VT due to its power attenuator. Provided I'll always be playing at low volumes in my room, and most of the time with my headphones on, will this additional feature be worth the extra money?

The 30 will sound better at lower volumes than the 15 and it has enough power to jam with friends fully cranked. I definitely think it's worth the money. I'd either get the DA5 or the AD30, I'd skip right over the 15 as I see it as the "worst of both worlds" of the Valvetronix series.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The 30 it is then. thanks for the advice. I love it when people convince me to get better stuff.