Well, my grandparents just got me an EXTREMELY late b-day gift. It is a Marshall MG250DFX. Ive played on these things before and they sound like complete A$$. Ive tried to get a good tone out of it and I honestly cant.

Im thinking about getting a Epiphone Valve Junior head. Are the speakers in the MG good enough to were I can covert the MG into a cab for the VJ. And by good enough I mean good sounding or do they sound like complete A$$ too...
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Return it and start over. For the price of that thing, you can get a much nicer amp than the Valve Junior. Or, you could buy the VJ head and a much better cab from someplace like Avatar and still have $100-200 left in your pocket.

Thank your grandparents profusely, but get the receipt!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
tell your grandparents you need the receipt to fill out the warranty........but really go exchange it
Quote by slatsmania
Return it and start over. For the price of that thing, you can get a much nicer amp than the Valve Junior. Or, you could buy the VJ head and a much better cab from someplace like Avatar and still have $100-200 left in your pocket.

Avatar and "Better Cab" are an oxymoron.

The Valve Junior isn't that great, either.

And lying to your grandparents about getting the warranty isn't going to work. That's just total shit. Tell them that it doesn't suit your style so you're taking it back to get something that you like better. Hell, bring THEM with you when you try it out. Whatever you do, don't be a dick and lie to them about it. There is no reason to lie to anyone, let alone your family, let alone your GRANDPARENTS who just went and bought you an amp because they love you.
You'll have to explain to your grandparents that it's a bad amp... I'd hate to do that though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah to be honest I don't know if I'd be able to.....

I would just feel so unbelievably guilty about it

but at the end of the day, you'll probably regret not returning it a few weeks down the line when it's too late, so you certainly should
Morally speaking this is questionable, but what if it were to break under warranty?
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Avatar and "Better Cab" are an oxymoron.

The Valve Junior isn't that great, either.

The Valve Junior might be the best amp value on the market today. And an Avatar cab made to order will be infinitely better than a converted overpriced MG combo. It's all relative. I don't recommend Avatar over Orange.

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
And lying to your grandparents about getting the warranty isn't going to work. That's just total shit. Tell them that it doesn't suit your style so you're taking it back to get something that you like better. Hell, bring THEM with you when you try it out. Whatever you do, don't be a dick and lie to them about it. There is no reason to lie to anyone, let alone your family, let alone your GRANDPARENTS who just went and bought you an amp because they love you.

But here I agree with you 100%.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Valve Junior might be the best amp value on the market today. And an Avatar cab made to order will be infinitely better than a converted overpriced MG combo. It's all relative. I don't recommend Avatar over Orange.

It comes from experience, Avatar are total shit and if you're going to buy one of those cabs you might as well buy a gun and shoot yourself in the foot.

I don't particularly like the VJ, nor do I think they are as great as everyone raves. They're the next UG be-all-end-all solution for practice amps. It was the Cube for awhile, but now the title has moved on.

Personally a decent modeling amp goes a long way and I'd honestly say that one should go out and try all the amps he could before buying one. The VJ doesn't always suit everyone's style and by the time you get to paying for the Distortion, EQs, extra effects, ETC its hardly a 'value' amp anymore.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Personally a decent modeling amp goes a long way and I'd honestly say that one should go out and try all the amps he could before buying one. The VJ doesn't always suit everyone's style and by the time you get to paying for the Distortion, EQs, extra effects, ETC its hardly a 'value' amp anymore.

Again, I agree with you, but in this case the threadstarter already has a Vox AD30, a couple pedals, and seems to have an interest in a small tube amp. So what's the best advice for him?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
A Traynor or Peavey would be a good start.

The Traynor is a bit expensive (more than the $500 he'd get from the marshall) but something like the YCV.. A 40w would be more than acceptable for most styles.

Or you could and save it up and buy a more expensive combo or half stack in the future, too. Some people I really think should wait until their tastes settle down and they get over the whole infatuation with most of the amps they see before they buy them.. It would help alot of many unhappy users..
Just tell them they really appreciate it but it's not the sort of sound you're after and would they mind if you could exchange it for something different. They'll be fine with that, after all they'd rather you had what you wanted and they don't know about amps themselves.
^ I refer you to the first post of mine that you responded to:

Quote by slatsmania

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

And lying to your grandparents about getting the warranty isn't going to work.

sure it would
It would work, but does it really sound like the thing to do to the people who blew 500 bucks on you just 'cause they could?

Explain to them that you really appreciate the gift, but would like a more hands-on thing in picking it, and go with them to exchange for something more you.
haha
MetalUpTheAss couldnt be more correct.

I agree with everyone saying to be honest with them, just tell them that the tone isnt quite what your looking for, and ask if you could exchange it.

I'm sure your grandparents would much prefer to get you a gift you enjoy and use, rather than one that will be left alone and resented.

Thats what i'd do anyway
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
MetalUpTheAss couldnt be more correct.

I agree with everyone saying to be honest with them, just tell them that the tone isnt quite what your looking for, and ask if you could exchange it.

I'm sure your grandparents would much prefer to get you a gift you enjoy and use, rather than one that will be left alone and resented.

Thats what i'd do anyway

Or have their grandkid be a spineless liar who has to go behind people's backs. Its not hard to tell the truth and they're your ****in GRANDPARENTS. They (should) love you unconditionally. They would probably appreciate the honesty and that will prolly give you bonus points towards becoming a 'man' in their eyes.

There are obviously two options here, One is the correct choice.

They always say honesty is the best policy..
I'd hate to basically tell my Grandparents that they bought me a bad amp. You're gonna have to do it, though. Just be soft of them.
Sent from my iPad.
his grandparents don't need to know. Let them be happy thinking they bought you a nice amp, and you can be happy knowing your grandparents paid for a better you you like........it does NOTHING good for them if you tell them. They are old. Let them be happy
no no no im not going to lie to them. im glad that they bought me something because they really wanted to get me something nice and they knew marshall was a good name.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by voxdude26
no no no im not going to lie to them. im glad that they bought me something because they really wanted to get me something nice and they knew marshall was a good name.

w00t.

How do you like your dinky, btw? I have 2 of them from the same era (one with maple fretboard, one with rosewood)

One (two?)of the best purchases I have ever made
ive decided im going to explain to them about the MG and how it really isnt great, they got it at GC so i can return and get store credit. im just going to use that and get some stuff. i dunno yet. ill decide then. or i may just keep the MG as a backup. i dont really have a money problem because i have a job so its not like i really have to save up for stuff. their is just nothing that i really want right now.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
sorry about the double post, but Genocide- i really like my dinky. it has HSS config. the humbucker really isnt what i want. its not heavy enough. and the singles arent straty(?) enough. i LOVE the schaller floyd, its great and i NEVER have to tune it. at this moment i have my tremelo blocked with a eraser, haha. im playing about with different tunings right now to see what suits my style the most and what is easier for me to sing and play with.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
It comes from experience, Avatar are total shit and if you're going to buy one of those cabs you might as well buy a gun and shoot yourself in the foot.

Man for the price avatar cabs are really really nice.
I am the Infantry.
Quote by JC13
Gutch, would you rather live a life full of lies, and happiness..or a life full of truth, and some hardships?

since you wrote "lies and happiness" vs "truth and some hardships" you have to get rid of "some" to make it even, so now you have

A) lies and happiness
B) truth and hardship

I'll take "A"......... you can keep your "holier than thou" rhetoric
Quote by voxdude26
ive decided im going to explain to them about the MG and how it really isnt great

You don't have to be too honest. You can say, "hey, it's a nice amp, but it doesn't really suit my style." This way they understand that you want to return it, but they don't have to know that they bought a piece of crap.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You don't have to be too honest. You can say, "hey, it's a nice amp, but it doesn't really suit my style." This way they understand that you want to return it, but they don't have to know that they bought a piece of crap.

very true. that more along the lines of what i was going to. i wasnt going to say "hey this amp is crap. i want to buy something else"
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by voxdude26
very true. that more along the lines of what i was going to. i wasnt going to say "hey this amp is crap. i want to buy something else"

Good call
just to add. u might want to make sure it's something that can be returned or exchanged before bringing it up.
maybe a parent would know where they got it from.

and gutch that was pretty funny.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Gutch220
since you wrote "lies and happiness" vs "truth and some hardships" you have to get rid of "some" to make it even, so now you have

A) lies and happiness
B) truth and hardship

I'll take "A"......... you can keep your "holier than thou" rhetoric

What happens when the grandparents want to see the grandson play on his newly acquired amp?
Quote by spikormikor13
What happens when the grandparents want to see the grandson play on his newly acquired amp?

thats already happened. the tone on those things is TERRIBLE. MG's cannot handle unison bends AT ALL. the sound just muddys up.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion