At the moment, I record with my multi-effects pedal using it as a preamp, then a line out into my soundcard.

However, when I last tried to do this, I noticed how horribly digital and sterile it sounded, and no wonder.

So I need to start recording with an mic + my amp. Which mic would be a good choice, I know that the Shure SM57 seems to be the standard but if there are any cheaper options i would like to know.

PS, Also, I think I need some kind of preamp that goes between the mic and my computer... what should I use for this?
The SM57 is only about $100...anything cheaper than that I wouldn't buy. Although I am pissed that the price on the 57 a year ago was around $85

While I am a fan of some Behringer products, their mixers are NOT one of them. Every Behringer mixer I have used has been absolutely terrible and very poorly crafted. I would buy some type of audio interface. M-Audio makes decent beginner ones that are just slightly above Behringer prices.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^^^^ I think I have seen the an M-Audio interface for aboyt £70 and I think it's the one your referring to.... however if there are cheaper options I would like to know, I'm on a budget really
Pick up the 57 used. I own 6 of them and everyone was bought used. I've had no problems at all. They all sound the same. You could probably snag one for under $70, give or take.

PS, Also, I think I need some kind of preamp that goes between the mic and my computer... what should I use for this?

If you already have a sound card, I'd pick up something like the M-Audio Audio Buddy. If you don't already have a sound card, I'd recommend a sound card with preamps built in. You can find the perfect sound card for you using the sound card wizard in my signature.

Brandon
Quote by Dutch_Apples
The SM57 is only about $100...anything cheaper than that I wouldn't buy. Although I am pissed that the price on the 57 a year ago was around $85

While I am a fan of some Behringer products, their mixers are NOT one of them. Every Behringer mixer I have used has been absolutely terrible and very poorly crafted. I would buy some type of audio interface. M-Audio makes decent beginner ones that are just slightly above Behringer prices.

im sure they'll be fine for pre-amping the mic. i agree, behringer mixers are terrible, and i find most of their other products to be the same way