I'll make this short.

So I've been playing for about a year now, and I only know a handful of songs. However, I have almost 2 full-scaps (both sides) of riffs and melodies that I made up myself.

My question is: would it be a good idea to learn more songs, and why?
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Well, in my experience, I tend to get bored playing the same old songs.
Creating your own riffs is good, can lead to your own song.

It's always a good idea to learn more, otherwise, why bother playing?
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
You should never stop learning, whether it be songs, scales or just simple melodies, it all helps you out in the long run.
Yeah it would.

You can take a lot of inspiration from the writing of others, so it will make your writing better. If you've been learning for a year, you've probably pretty much nailed all the basic theory you'd get from it, but learning other people's songs is how I first learnt chords, and it exposes you to many things. If you pick up on things in songs as a beginner it teaches you things.

Another reason is that you'd obviously be able to play all your stuff, but so what? If you push yourself to learn something which looks really hard in comparison to what you normally play, you will become a better, more adept guitarist. It's called a challenge.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yes, obviously. Try to learn music from different genres, so as to broaden your sense of music.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
You definitely should learn as much as you can. It makes you feel more instictive about chord changes.

I was writing a riff just yesterday and it wasn't until several hours later that I realised one of the chord changes was very similar to something used by Radiohead. It can subliminaly influence you into knowing what will sound good
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica

I was writing a riff just yesterday and it wasn't until several hours later that I realised one of the chord changes was very similar to something used by Radiohead. It can subliminaly influence you into knowing what will sound good

Actually, this is what I was afraid of. I thought that if I learn too many songs, whenever I try to come up with any of my own, it'll just sound like someone elses. Maybe I'm just paranoid about originality...

Thanks for your help guys.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by Skar
Actually, this is what I was afraid of. I thought that if I learn too many songs, whenever I try to come up with any of my own, it'll just sound like someone elses. Maybe I'm just paranoid about originality...

Thanks for your help guys.

Well, it's good to have a wide range so you know if you're falling into someone elses riff.

Don't be worried about what I said, it was just one chord change of mine (out of 9, would you believe) was similar, not the same, as one chord change in a Radiohead song out of about 4.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay