Page 1 of 2
Yesterday I was ina guitar shop with my friend and they stock mostly boss pedals so we asked to try the DS-1 and the Blues Driver BD-2..... and I must say I was shocked at how bad they were.

Even on the neck pup I couldn't get rid of the harsh bite... but if I turned the tone control down the sound became muddy. They were fuzzy, but in the bad way, and way to harsh... I'm pretty sure the cheap Zoom 505II multifx I have sound better.

However, I did try the OD-3 and I actually really like it.

I'm sure not all Boss pedals are bad but what does anyone else think this of the pedals?

(I tested the pedals on a Fender Standard Strat and a Roland Cube 60 *yes, tis a modelling amp* on clean with flat EQ)
Last edited by sam i am at Feb 18, 2007,
What amp did you play them throu?
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Meh, I havn't really played around with boss pedals. But alot of my friends say this, "If you're serious about having a good rig and all--Boss won't cut it."
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
a lot of their distro pedals are geared to a very specific taste. the ds-1 is supposed to be voiced for just about everyone, but i've never been very blown away by it either. the SD-1 is great, but that's really the only Boss gain box i've tried and liked. but, then again, that's why they have all those mods for boss pedals to make them sound better.
Boss is a generic pedal that simply does what it says it does. You gotta look around a lot if your looking for some good pedals. And be prepared to spend some cash if you want real quality.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I personally love Boss. I've got to say, I love my BD-2. It may not have the bite most people want, but it gets my job done. And my PH-3 Phaser is so much fun to play around with.
Quote by cobain_is_king
I once jizzed in my cupped hands, my mum came in the room so I put my hands against my face and pretended to cry...never again.
The Blues Driver is a great pedal, and so it the OD3, that's why I bought them.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
hmmmmm modelling amps + effects peedals any one else see the problem here?
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by Jinskee
Meh, I havn't really played around with boss pedals. But alot of my friends say this, "If you're serious about having a good rig and all--Boss won't cut it."

+1
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by Jinskee

there're some really fantastic boss pedals that do things no other pedals can do. many of them are discontinued, but i'd never get rid of my ps-3 or my dd-20 and i love my rv-3, and ch-1. that whole "you get what you pay for" thing is bullshit that old gear snobs say to justify spending thousands of dollars on a super high-end amp when tone is all in the ears of the beholder. i absolutely LOVE my 70's vintage Ampeg amp that i spent $450 and would never trade it for an original Fender Twin. just because it's boss doesn't mean it's not pro quality. just look at the number of professional, touring musicians with boss pedals in their rigs!
^Once again, you're also right. I'm not saying Boss pedals suck...well, I can't really justify that considering I barely play with Boss Pedals or pedals themselves! But I see where you're getting at!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by R_H_C_P
The Blues Driver is a great pedal, and so it the OD3, that's why I bought them.

I liked the OD-3 actually, but not the blues-driver. It was a littles like the DS-1 but more OD-y.
I use both together (BD2 and OD3), very nice, toneful crunchy sound.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I own a DS-1 and it's great. Can be muddy at times, but it has awesome sound. The majoirty of Boss pedals rule, which is why in a few month after saving for new pups for my Epi, I'm replacing my Fab Overdrive with the SD-1. Just for an upgrade - I have no problems with the Fab OD.
I think it's mostly because of the amp you were playing through. Some Boss pedals are great. The ones you listed are the better Boss pedals, actually. They sound great when played through a good amp.
Sent from my iPad.
^I was just about to say that.

I just read that you were using a modeling amp...

rule of thumb - modeling amps + effect pedals = not so good tone. So yeah, it probably was the amp then.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
is it better to have a modelling amp or a line of pedals?
i'm looking for an amp at the moment, but i like the thought of pedals and which amp would be good with pedals?
in my view the boss pedals are pretty good
BLUES driver....BLUES...your not gonna get a whole lotta distortion or gain my friend....
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
dude, it says in your post you put it on the clean channel??? no wonder, you have to put it on the overdrive channel, if you put it on the clean channel any dist. sound bad

but everybody uses boss, a LOT of pro's use it, i my self dont like the ds-1, there are better pedals out there for the money, but you tried it on the clean channel who knows
I say single FX > multi effects. The multi-effects just don't do the job as well as their counterparts.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by sk8erguy171
dude, it says in your post you put it on the clean channel??? no wonder, you have to put it on the overdrive channel, if you put it on the clean channel any dist. sound bad

but everybody uses boss, a LOT of pro's use it, i my self dont like the ds-1, there are better pedals out there for the money, but you tried it on the clean channel who knows

i use my distortion type effects with my clean channel, and it always comes out okay.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by sk8erguy171
well i suppose it depends what kinda amp you have, but i dont think a cube 30 is terribly great
For metal cubes are the shizz
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by sk8erguy171

I'm pretty sure that that's completely incorrect.
The Stuff!
I'm pretty anti boss tbh. Purely because of my experiance with there pedals. I've never owned one, so I can't judge reliability and what not. But I think they sound pretty crap for the price. Especially the distortions/ods.
I love my SD-1. Its an absolute amazing pedal. But when it comes to the DS-1... well, not so much.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by sk8erguy171

yeah, that's just silly. my rig consists of a single-channel amp that only gets pristine cleans and for any kind of dirty tone, i use pedals. i've got an SD-1, SansAmp GT2, Big Muff (USA reissue) and a Dano Fab Tone. to say that gain pedals don't work with a clean amp tone is just silly. sure, some ODs sound good or better when overdriving and already dirty tone, but if you put any kind of heavy-gain voiced pedal on top of an already dirty tone, you're going to get mush.
Boss makes some decent effects, i cant stand any of thier OD or Distortion pedals though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by R_H_C_P
I use both together (BD2 and OD3), very nice, toneful crunchy sound.

I notice you seem to have loads of pedals, could you list them for me? Please?
I love BOSS pedals such as flangers, phasers, and chorus. However, I don't like any of the BOSS Overdrive/Distortion pedals at all.
I've never tried any of the Boss distortion/overdrive pedals, but I my chorus and flanger.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
The only Boss pedal I've played a lot is the DS-1, which is quite shitty.
Quote by sk8erguy171

im sorry, but pedal dist + amp dist = toneful mush
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
im sorry, but pedal dist + amp dist = toneful mush

+1.

You don't mix pedal and amp distortion together. You generally put it on the clean channel if you're looking for the straight pedal tone. If you need a little boost or something, then the dist channel is alright. But generally put it on the clean.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Yeah my DS-1 itself has a harsh/bad distortion, but with my ad30vt and some nice settings I got some good tones, I mean not great but for a $40 pedal it does pretty well .IMO.

So all in all it sounds alright depending on what other gear i'm using.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I haven't tried any of the distortion or overdrive pedals but I really like my DD-20.
Gear
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Godin SD
Boss DD-20
Quote by chris24789
hmmmmm modelling amps + effects peedals any one else see the problem here?

+1

This isn't true for all modelling amps, but the Cube and Vox hybrids... Those should never mix with stomp boxes.

And as for not putting stomp box distortions in front of amp distortions... depending on the amp and which box you use, putting a box infront (or behind if u know what ur doing in the studio) of your amp distortion can come out to GREAT effect. Especially if you need a little boost for your solo ...

Noobs... well, we all gota learn at some point, no?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by BloodBlooms
there're some really fantastic boss pedals that do things no other pedals can do. many of them are discontinued, but i'd never get rid of my ps-3 or my dd-20 and i love my rv-3, and ch-1. that whole "you get what you pay for" thing is bullshit that old gear snobs say to justify spending thousands of dollars on a super high-end amp when tone is all in the ears of the beholder. i absolutely LOVE my 70's vintage Ampeg amp that i spent $450 and would never trade it for an original Fender Twin. just because it's boss doesn't mean it's not pro quality. just look at the number of professional, touring musicians with boss pedals in their rigs!

I have to say, being 19 and a guitarist for 4 years I believe in the "You get what you pay for" theory. There are some excellent deals around, but you really have to hunt for them.

When you buy a boutique pedal you aren't paying a bunch because of a name or for an elite status. You're buying the tone. You're buying that EXACT tone. That character. If you want that sound, why should you buy something else?

I have had cheap pedals, I've had expensive pedals. The same goes for guitars and amplifiers, pickups and cables. Some cheaper pedals cut the mustard- more power to them for doing it. Others you might want more specific things. You might want a bit more bite, some more treble. You might wish the tone was alittle fatter or less metallic. With mass produced pedals, you are only given the choices in front of you. The point of boutique gear is to fill the niche created by the other companies- to serve the tonal needs of those who aren't satisfied with those basic pedals.

The question here is what is good for YOU. You're right, "Tone is in the ear of the beholder" and some people think that cheaper, new, mass produced pedals don't get the job done.
Page 1 of 2