Hi,its my yamaha sg which i just got,basically its a les paul style guitar with set neck,stop tail and tune-o-matic bridge.When i do bendings,its very difficult,strings just tends to slip off my finger,especially doing bends on the 1st string,can even feel painful on my left 2nd and 3rd finger tips.Its almost impossible to bend a note whole step properly.Seems tension is very great when doing bends,but everythings fine with strumming,fretting,plucking,picking,tapping....Ive played other guitars but dont have this problem at all,this shouldnt be normal rite?anyone can tell me whats wrong and suggestions to fix it?BTW,im using 0.10 string gauge,thanks!
practice, make sure you're in tune, get lighter strings, check the neck bow.
higher gauge bending takes a lot of gettin used to. I've had .10s on my jem for as long as ive had it and bends aren't too bad now.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
As everyone said . . . switch to something lighter like 9 gauges. I bend pretty far with those, then again i'm tuned half a step down.
Guitar Related Products
Schecter Omen-6
Digitech Grunge Distortion Pedal
Peavey Rage-158 15w Amp

Member of Kurt Cobain>shredding club P.M. eldanny to join.
Ya know, SRV had heavy strings and still did good bends. You've just gotta practice and get used to the string gauge.
How long have you been playing? If not that long, sticking with .09s might be a better idea. Otherwise, stick with the higher gauge
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
jackson001:Ive been playing for 9years now,dare say an experienced performer.Thing is ive never really dig into the technical side of guitars,me bad.Honestly i know it may not be the string gauge problem.Ive got a strat with a similar problem but not enough to bother me as this one,especially when i put on new strings,it will be a lil difficult to bend,with the slipping,but after a while,say a few days,the problem just vanishes gradually,but yeah im using 009s on that but still dont think theres such a big difference in 9s and 10s as ive used those 2 gauges on another guitar with no problem at all,even 11s.
I've been playing for about 18 months or so, and consider myself a low/intermediate player. I own 2 guitars, and Ibanez Gio, and an Ibanez RGR521ex1. Both run ernie ball slinkies, the Gio has a set of 9's on it, and the 521 has 10's.

When I started bending a while back on the Gio it was easy, when I switched to my new guitar it became hard. So string gauge is important, however the 10's aren't impossible, and I know I'll get used to them. I'd say switch to some super slinkys for a bit to get used to the idea, then go back to 10's if you liked the sound more.
Practise bends on a acoustic, then go try on the electric. You'll definitly gonna notice the improvement.
honestly,i can make a whole tone bend on a bass,but surprisingly not on this SG,anyway,ill try to 'set it up' the best i can with 009s and see,if not i guess will have to bring to a technician
What i really need to know,is there other technical issues on the set-up itself that causes this problem?could it be back bowed neck or worn frets or something else?Coz ive played alot of guitars without this problem and i know its not that i lack practice,honestly,Thanks!