what's the difference between active and passive pick-ups/humbuckers?

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
Actives are designed differently to include an internal preamp which helps eliminate excess noise from your guitar. They'll require at least one battery to operate the guitar and it has to be changed every 1500-3000 hours.

Passives are generally more affordable and perform well when installed properly.
well active pickups give you more of a clearer tone etc which is why metal bands like them so yo ucan distort them well due to it havin and electro magnetic field but some complain they sound artificial

where as passive pickups will transpose your guitars tone to the sound more accurately but it wont be as clear or strong etc

i think thats the basic principals
Correct me if I'm wrong.

But active pick ups are a lot hotter than passive. They require 9-volt batteries to run them. On the other hand, passives can be pretty hot themselvves, but they do not require batteries to run them.

That's why alot of people say it's better to have active pick ups for metal rather than passive.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Correct me if I'm wrong.

But active pick ups are a lot hotter than passive. They require 9-volt batteries to run them. On the other hand, passives can be pretty hot themselvves, but they do not require batteries to run them.

That's why alot of people say it's better to have active pick ups for metal rather than passive.

Not entirely. The reason they have batteries in them, like I said, is to run their internal preamp. The biggest idea behind this is to reduce the amount of noise they output by minimizing the way the pickup produces a signal.

Taken into account, EMG only have 3 'hot' pickups, all of which are humbuckers, opposed to all of the other actives they make, which are capable of doing many other tones. People only know them for their super hot actives because they're the most popular.
^Thanks for the info.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Personally I really, really hate active pups because they sound really sterile to me. But whatever.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
NP

How do you like the mules? I was thinking about trying out a set before I buy pickups for my 7 string..

I actually like them alot. I prefer them over the stock 81's and 60's that USED to be on my guitar. I've only played em' on a cube 30 and I barely got time to tweak them with a tube amp, but only for a solid state, it still sounds very nice! I must say so myself.

They're very clear, articulate, very versatile and has alot of bite to it. I say definitley check it out man.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R