I have a problem. I've been getting fret buzz. I get it around the 1st,2nd,3rd fret. I also get fret buzz when I play the open low E string. In order to stop the fret buss I have to have the strings ridiculously high. It works and it stops the buzz, but when I want to play on the 7th fret and down, It is hard to transition strings due to the height of the strings.

I can't lower it because then I will have fret buzz, but when I have it to high i can't play and the 7th and down frets. You see the pickle I'm in? :\

I searched the forum and I go a little information. To get rid the the fret buzz I would have to adjust the truss-rod. So, should I try and do it myself, or take to a local shop?

A shop would probably be the best bet right?

Thanks everyone for their input. Hopefully it will help me, I miss jamming. :[
Take it to a shop..

or screw around with the truss rod... but if you screw around with it too much, you run the risk of warping the neck. which is a horrrible thing to do.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If you have no clue what you're doing, it's best to take it to a shop. Much better to be safe than have a broken guitar.

And yeah, it's probably your truss rod.
what type of guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok well sounds like ur guitar has a bit of a back bow.

you can do a few things.
if ur not comfortable adjusting the truss rod. (if u were i would talk u thru it) but if ur not that's fine.

i suggest u go to ur local shop, buy a set of 10's (strings) and ask him to put them on for u in front of u.
the 10's, or if ur into thicker, 11's, should pull the headstock a little more. and help better angle the neck for u.

after he puts them on, let him strum the guitar a few times. if the buzz is still there, one 1/4" turn of the truss rod should take care of it,

i wouldnt put the guitar in for a $40 set up tho. that's a big % of the $200 selling price.

again if u want to work with the truss rod urself, just repost ill talk u thru it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Thanks, it depends. . . Is it hard to do? I'll give it a go, if you walk me through it.
first just measure the neck angle.

fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret , where the neck meets the body.

while they are both held. look at the middle frets. 7-9th.
if the string lays on the frets there, you have a back bow, and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

She just explained that mate......

Quote by jj1565

fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret , where the neck meets the body.

while they are both held. look at the middle frets. 7-9th.
if the string lays on the frets there, you have a back bow, and repost.
Oh, well when she said "first just measure the neck angle. " I didn't know she explain it, I thought I needed a ruler or something. lol

I knew it was a stupid question, but I want to be as careful as physically possible.

EDIT.

Ok, the strings 7-9 don't touch the frets.
Last edited by 1llusionz at Feb 21, 2007,
Here's a dumb quesion, have you tuned your guitar? I'm a noob and was having issues with fret buzz on my new Schecter, once I tuned the sting the buzz was gone, aparently the string wasn't tight enough causing it to buzz.
Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
Quote by 1llusionz

Ok, the strings 7-9 don't touch the frets.

well then doesnt seem like the neck is that bad.

ususally when they touch the middle frets, ull get buzzing in 1-3.

how high is the clearance at 7-9th. could i slip a credit card in the space, when u hold both ends?

if not, then it seems like it's not the neck, but probably a combination of a few things.

the OPEN buzz might just be the string rattling in the nut cut. you might have a high or crooked fret, the 1-3 fret buzz might be caused by low nut cuts, maybe even ur fretting technique or a combination of a couple of these things.

how long have u been playing?

if the space at the 7-9th fret is less than the thickness of a credit card, then we can give the neck a 1/8" turn. (ill explain more after u repost.)

but if it seems like the strings are no way near the middle frets when both ends are held, you might want to try a string and/or a string gauge change.

sometimes a new set of strings can shape the neck a little better, and might fit in that nut cut without all the rattle too.

ok so...

1. can u fit a creditcard in the space between the middle frets and the string when both ends of the string are held?
2. how long have u been playing?
3. are those the guitar's stock strings?
4. is the OPEN low E rattling in the nut? if it rubs a fret, which one?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If your using a gibson style bridge, lower the tension, the 2 screws at the very back of your bridge, worked for me. It will put your guitar out so have a tuner handy
Meh
Well, wait. Remember when I had to have the strong REALLY high so that there wouldn't be any buzz. Should I change it back to it's normal height?
well if ur holding the first and last fret, it doesnt matter what ur action is set at.

u cancel that by fretting where the neck meets the body.

all this shows is neck angle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Check out the post entitled "Adjusting Action". I just gave them advice on what they and you need to do. Jenny sounds like she knows what she's doing also, she could also walk you through it. First we need to figure if the problen is your neck as Jenny alluded to or just action height. Read my advice to the other post and we can help you from there.
Quote by jj1565
well if ur holding the first and last fret, it doesnt matter what ur action is set at.

u cancel that by fretting where the neck meets the body.

all this shows is neck angle.

AH! Ok, I didn't know that.

how long have u been playing?

About 2 1/2 months. Imma newbie.

if the space at the 7-9th fret is less than the thickness of a credit card, then we can give the neck a 1/8" turn. (ill explain more after u repost.)

It is less than a credit card. I fret the first and last fret and placed the credit card to see it touched. It did.

3. are those the guitar's stock strings?

No, they are not. I replaced them. I think it was you who also helped me changing my strings. heheh

4. is the OPEN low E rattling in the nut?

Yes, I think it sounds like it is rattling in the nut, but how to be sure? I played the open string and i get fret buzz, but i don't know if it is from the nut or it is hitting one of the frets.

if it rubs a fret, which one?

1st-7th fret. I placed the credit card and placed it under each fret and see if it touched. Good or not good to see which fret it is?

I wish I had a mic so I can record the sound.
Last edited by 1llusionz at Feb 23, 2007,
1st off, ur neck bow is fine.

but for some reason, the string is buzzing away.

slipping a bit of thin paper (phone book paper) under a sting, can sometimes narrow down where it's rubbing.

if it's rattling in the nut, it would rattle when Not touched, and would sort of look like it doesnt fit in the cut, maybe it would sit too high or low, or move around in the cut too much.

my suggestion to u at this point is to get a new Low E string.

the string might have a kink in it. u're new to stringing, maybe u bend it up a little getting it in.
a new string might sit better in the nut. if u feel like the string sits too low in the cut, get a slightly thicker string, in the same gauge. the heavier string might also help u clear the frets in the low E side.

brands dont all use a standard size for 10's or 11's, ect...

so a d'addardio, for example, might have a slightly thicker 10 string than ernie ball does.
so if u remember the string brand ur using now. look up the Loe E thickness and get something heavier that will pull at the headstock more.

also, make sure ur bridge is level. if most of ur problem lies in the low E side. (a very common buzz for guys just starting out.) then make sure uve got that side high enough on ur bridge.

EDIT: QUICK FIX: if u want, u can take a tiny bit of paper and slip it under the string at the cut of the nut. that will raise up just that string. and may stop the buzzing until u can buy a new set. with that string raised u should be able to lower the action on the rest,

a third thing id like to suggest; maybe check out elixers, or other type of coated string.
yes they are expensive. about $10 a set. But they will be easier to fret, and might result in less buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 24, 2007,
Ok, I did what you said (with the paper), and it isn't rattling in the nut.

It is touching the 1st and 2nd fret. That's the prob.

My string gauge is-
e - .009
B - .011
G - .016
D - .024
A - .032
E - .042

Are these 10's or 11's or what?

Yeah I always make sure my bridge is even and level. I always count how many times I turn it on one side and I do the same for the other side, so that it is the same height.

Ok, if I get a new Low E string, which size should I get?
those are "9"s. pretty light. (the lightest string starts with 09^.)

u can get "10"s. actually i suggest that's what u do.

buy a set of tens. swap them ONE AT A TIME. and i bet a lot of ur buzz will be gone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ah, ok. I will try some 10's and post back.

Um, do you recommend a brand? I am horrible at picking a good one.
right now im using d'addarios. but ive got like 10 guitars so, i usually get what's on sale.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Oh, Ok. I will post back with the results! (Whenever I get the strings) I have no idea when, because right now I am broke. :\
Ok, I got new strings and still had the same problem. I'm planning to take it to a sho sooner or later but or now I just put a piece of wood (from toothpick) inside my E nut for a temporary solution. That will work in the meantime.

But could you help me with something else?
It's not hardware related.

I have been practicing chords and trying to incorporate my pinky. My pinky isn't straight as the other fingers. It is curved to the left. So when I fret using my finger to build strength do I try to make my pinky as straight as possible, or having a curved pinky doesn't matter.

Another question, is it ok that I hold the guitar neck with the palm touching the bottom of the neck, or it shouldn't touch at all. I just want to be clear before i develop bad habits, because I don't want that.
u dont want to wrap u thumb up and around the neck, unless ur fretting the low E with ur thumb for a specific song.
in my opinion, ur reach is far better when u practice keeping ur thumb at the back middle area of the neck.

as for pinky help? it will straighten out as it starts to gain muscle memory. right now, it's got a mind of it's own. the more u practice using it to concentrate on hitting it's notes, the quicker ull be able to use it without thinking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62