I've noticed that when I play slide on the low E string the slide actually frets the strings, so I get a glissando effect instead of a slide effect, and if I place the slide more lightly on the strings, I just get a fretbuzz-like noise. The slide I have is quite heavy and thick, I bought it to do some long, sustaining David Gilmour-style stuff, but now I'm trying to play faster slide riffs (Loser by Beck if anyone knows it). Can I just buy a thinner slide to stop this problem, or do I need to raise the action? I don't really want to have to do that...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
How low have you got the action (at say the 12 fret). That counts for quite a lot usually.
I'm not sure exactly what the action is, it's pretty standard height and I haven't changed it since I bought the guitar. I'd rather not have to raise the action because it's my main guitar.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
You could try playing it like pedal steel guitar, cos its easier to slide it like that opposed to the usual method.