Page 1 of 2
Don't bash me if this is the wrong thread because theres no post rock thread but has anyone hear of Explosions in the Sky's The Resuce CD that wasn't released.
www.explosionsinthesky.com

Personally I think its pretty good. Its alot more upbeat.
yea man. Explosions in the sky are really good. Time stops and magic hours are really awesome.
My band's bassist has started listening to them... this can only be good news
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
Quote by lo fi nights
they are on Conan tuesday night

Yeah, I'm quite psyched for this. Gotta stay up.
am i the only person that can't stand this band?

a friend gave me tickets for one of their shows next month, i hope i find an excuse not to go.
i got the bonus disc for their newest.

i have to say, i love them.

i do prefer russian circles, pelican, and jesu though.
I hate this band, but for some reason the new album is still in the post (triple vinyl and one CD seemed like a great package).

I'll listen to the new one with an open mind, but really not expecting much due to the previous releases being filled with crud.

Not heard that unreleased one, not particularly interested either.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
yeah, it was called 'those who tell the truth....', and then it was called the 'earth is not a cold dead place', and now it's called 'all of the sudden i miss everyone'.

do you see what i'm getting at here? they're all the same.
Quote by starsnostars
am i the only person that can't stand this band?

a friend gave me tickets for one of their shows next month, i hope i find an excuse not to go.

I detest them too. I used to say that post rock was my favourite genre because of Slint, Isis, Jesu etc but I've had to stop saying that because people suddenly think GYBE and EITS by default. They're so predictable and pretentious.
Quote by Griswold
I detest them too. I used to say that post rock was my favourite genre because of Slint, Isis, Jesu etc but I've had to stop saying that because people suddenly think GYBE and EITS by default. They're so predictable and pretentious.

No, Isis and Jesu are doom metal and/or prog metal.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Got it today, yet to listen to it, but slightly let down as the triple vinyl pack turns out to be a double vinyl pack with one of the records being one-sided and the other side being some shitty etching.

Already doesn't look good for the album, but I will listen to it before moaning any more; promise.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Got it today, yet to listen to it, but slightly let down as the triple vinyl pack turns out to be a double vinyl pack with one of the records being one-sided and the other side being some shitty etching.

Already doesn't look good for the album, but I will listen to it before moaning any more; promise.

It's awesome. I think it's my favourite on they've done.

And the vinyl's so misleading. Mine is apparently 'White and Purple'. The white one, yeah it's white, but the 'purple' one is black until you hold it up to the light and even then its ****ing blue.
Quote by Griswold

I really like EITS. I don't think their new album is at all pretentious, although, I did initially think they were going to go really over the top with it. I would also classify Isis and Pelican as Sludge/Doom metal. I would much rather listen Godspeed You Black Emperor and Explosions In The Sky than Pelican or Isis, anyway. I do, however, agree that the Post Rock/experimental tag reffers to too wide a genre now.

Anyway, the new album is pretty great!
More like Explosions in my Pants.

Sweet ****ing Christ this band is awesome.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Last edited by Patches McGee at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by Griswold

How can you hate GY!BE?

Isis is NOT POST ROCK! I really hate when people say that, they may be some sort of Post - Rock hybrid for all you deluded people out there, but they are most definitely not soley post - rock. And I checked Isis out and was extremely disappointed. Not too great in my opinion... and certainly not worthy of half the praise they get.

Although, as Post - Rock becomes broader and broader, you just gotta dig a little deeper and deeper for the good stuff.
Quote by Shine On...
How can you hate GY!BE?

Isis is NOT POST ROCK! I really hate when people say that, they may be some sort of Post - Rock hybrid for all you deluded people out there, but they are most definitely not soley post - rock. And I checked Isis out and was extremely disappointed. Not too great in my opinion... and certainly not worthy of half the praise they get.

Although, as Post - Rock becomes broader and broader, you just gotta dig a little deeper and deeper for the good stuff.

How can I hate GY!BE? Well for a start, any band that changes their name from GYBE! to GY!BE instantly loses any credibility in my eyes. Musically, I don't approve of the way they take one acceptable melody per track and insert ambient noises around it for 10 minutes. All their album inserts, track names etc reek of obnoxious wannabe artists trying to be profound. For me they sum up a fair bit of what's wrong with the world today.

So if you like them I'm not surprised you dislike Isis, since they have almost none of the despicable traits I detailed above. Now as for calling them post rock I think I'm justified. Slint pretty much invented post rock if I'm not mistaken, and Isis are doing something similar but with a more metal take on it. I think the fact that GYBE use loads of orchestra instruments etc should almost make them excempt from the post rock genre - after all they are no longer using rock instruments. They're playing wanky instrumentals.
Quote by Griswold
How can I hate GY!BE? Well for a start, any band that changes their name from GYBE! to GY!BE instantly loses any credibility in my eyes. Musically, I don't approve of the way they take one acceptable melody per track and insert ambient noises around it for 10 minutes. All their album inserts, track names etc reek of obnoxious wannabe artists trying to be profound. For me they sum up a fair bit of what's wrong with the world today.

So if you like them I'm not surprised you dislike Isis, since they have almost none of the despicable traits I detailed above. Now as for calling them post rock I think I'm justified. Slint pretty much invented post rock if I'm not mistaken, and Isis are doing something similar but with a more metal take on it. I think the fact that GYBE use loads of orchestra instruments etc should almost make them excempt from the post rock genre - after all they are no longer using rock instruments. They're playing wanky instrumentals.

Wow, yeah, moving an exclamation point in their name. The bastards. You don't 'approve' do you not. I'm sure they're absolutely gutted about that. You come off as a condesending, arrogant moron with that statement there. How do they 'sum up a fair bit of what's wrong with the world today'?! Is it because they make music you don't take a fancy to? Jesus christ, take your oversized, obnoxious head out of your arse. Exactly who do you think you are?

And as for them being post rock.. Well that's a judgement call.

Seriously, grow up.
Quote by onlyonehere
Wow, yeah, moving an exclamation point in their name. The bastards. You don't 'approve' do you not. I'm sure they're absolutely gutted about that. You come off as a condesending, arrogant moron with that statement there. How do they 'sum up a fair bit of what's wrong with the world today'?! Is it because they make music you don't take a fancy to? Jesus christ, take your oversized, obnoxious head out of your arse. Exactly who do you think you are?

And as for them being post rock.. Well that's a judgement call.

Seriously, grow up.

My whole above comment was a judgement call. I was asked how I can't like Godspeed and I gave my reasons. Deal with it.
Quote by Griswold

Slint pretty much invented post rock if I'm not mistaken, and Isis are doing something similar but with a more metal take on it.

You're forgetting about Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock by Talk Talk...which Godspeed you black emperor and explosions in the sky are quite similar to. But anyway, lets talk about EITS!
My favourite tracks of the album have to be The Birth and Death of The Day and It's Natural To Be Afraid.
Quote by Griswold
How can I hate GY!BE? Well for a start, any band that changes their name from GYBE! to GY!BE instantly loses any credibility in my eyes..

they did so because they took their name from a japanese documentary film, and when they realized they had misspelled it, they corrected themselves- i know, i know, totally pretentious.

Quote by Griswold
I think the fact that GYBE use loads of orchestra instruments etc should almost make them excempt from the post rock genre - after all they are no longer using rock instruments. They're playing wanky instrumentals.

i wouldn't call post-rock a genre. those who the genre was based on, reject the name, and those who embrace it, just play off of it. and what the **** on saying gybe doesn't use rock instruments? last time i checked, they had like three guitarists, a bassist and a drummer along with the more classical instruments. as if any of that even matters since they're not even a band anymore.
Quote by Griswold
My whole above comment was a judgement call. I was asked how I can't like Godspeed and I gave my reasons. Deal with it.

It really wasn't. You came off as an arrogant knob.

But whatever.
Quote by Griswold
For me they sum up a fair bit of what's wrong with the world today.

not trying to jump on the Bash Griswold bandwagon, but c'mon dude. you gotta be kidding me.
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
Quote by onlyonehere
It really wasn't. You came off as an arrogant knob.

But whatever.

Judgement Call: a subjective decision, ruling, or opinion.
Arrogant knob or not my statement was, by definition, a judgement call.

Quote by chrus
not trying to jump on the Bash Griswold bandwagon, but c'mon dude. you gotta be kidding me.

I don't mind being bashed, but you seem to have forgotten to make a point in your post. Everything I've so far read in this thread has reinforced my opinion that GYBE were a group of pretentious, talent lacking snobs. Furthermore their following is littered with unproductive, otherwise apathetic stoners whose worldviews are as rudimentary as GYBE's musical innovation. The fact that these people, who find their trite profound and/or moving, even exist is a problem with the world today. And not one to be taken lightly.
Quote by Griswold

I don't mind being bashed, but you seem to have forgotten to make a point in your post. Everything I've so far read in this thread has reinforced my opinion that GYBE were a group of pretentious, talent lacking snobs. Furthermore their following is littered with unproductive, otherwise apathetic stoners whose worldviews are as rudimentary as GYBE's musical innovation. The fact that these people, who find their trite profound and/or moving, even exist is a problem with the world today. And not one to be taken lightly.

How can they possibly lack talent? It's not exactly easy to write immensley epic 20 minute pieces of art. You definitely have no idea what you're talking about.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by Griswold
you seem to have forgotten to make a point in your post. Everything I've so far read in this thread has reinforced my opinion that GYBE were a group of pretentious, talent lacking snobs. Furthermore their following is littered with unproductive, otherwise apathetic stoners whose worldviews are as rudimentary as GYBE's musical innovation. The fact that these people, who find their trite profound and/or moving, even exist is a problem with the world today. And not one to be taken lightly.

i'm really sorry to break it to you kid but you need to look up the definition of pretentious because unless you are trying to apply it to their political ideals, you're far off. and at that, that's arguable since sadly, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

and i know for someone who has their head shoved up their own ass, it might be hard to do, but you need to provide better examples of your accusations if you want to justify them at all.
Quote by Griswold

Exactly why come into this thread then and post a load of crap?! If you hate the bands that much. Blergh.
Just finished listening to it (the new album) in parts and it's not terrible, probably their best, but that's really not saying a huge amount.

I can understand Griswold with the whole exclamation mark thing of Godspeed, petty things like that can be really pointless and annoying.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles

I can understand Griswold with the whole exclamation mark thing of Godspeed, petty things like that can be really pointless and annoying.

really? i mean, they were just correcting themselves after realizing their mistake. they took their name from something and just wanted to make sure they had it right.
Well, if they had any sense they would've found out how it was written before actually using the name. To change the position of an exclamation mark (which I do believe they've done twice rather than just the once) just seems like a pointless detail.

It's like you being called Phillip, but later on in life thinking that you don't like having two 'l's in the middle of your name.

RateYourMusic
redundant yes, but i wouldn't call them pretentious for it.

as far as i know, they moved it before their last album, so they have done so only once. but at one point they were on two labels with kranky releasing their cds and constellation releasing their vinyl, so maybe that's why there's confusion on how many times it was done.
Quote by Griswold

Hahah, thats the biggest load of crap if I've ever heard it. I'm a full time student that has never done drugs and works every weekend with almost no freetime for myself. Would you call that unproductive and apathetic? I think not.
This is by far the lamest argument on a band ever. I could rephrase all the crap you just said about GY!BE into some sort of attack towards Isis.

"Yeah any band with uhhh like two letters repeated in the title are just pretentious fools."

Honestly, you hardly hear people ragging on a bands name really, and the fact that you did because they "changed their punctuation", is downright idiotic. That is just a petty shot at the band.

And your whole talentless argument? Please compose a track as epic as them, because I've yet to hear one, and I would like too. Also, try listening to the tremolo picking in half of their songs, its pretty unbelievable...

Sorry for ragging on you Griswold, but I just find your argument towards the band to be untrue.
I really like Explosions in the Sky, I can understand why a person wouldn't though. However, their sound is just simply beautiful to me. Personal favorites are Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean, Look Into the Air...actually just all of How Strange, Innocence and the Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place.

I've yet to pick up the latest two albums, but I have heard a couple of tracks.
Page 1 of 2