I got a Peavey Raptor Plus EXP guitar for Christmas, and the strings sound loose and out of tune, even if my tuner says otherwise. It sounds fine on the amp, but by itself, the sound isnt all that great. I remember a kid in my guitar class that had a similar problem with his low E string when he got a new one put on. I have no clue if something is wrong with my guitar or my strings are just no good. Please help me troubleshoot this.
Just new strings, they always sound very twangy compared to how you're used to. Don't worry. Anyway, it's an electric, who cares what it sounds like unplugged as long as it's good through an amp?
could it be fret buzz? if it is, raise the action a bit on the low strings side.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Vermintide
Just new strings, they always sound very twangy compared to how you're used to. Don't worry. Anyway, it's an electric, who cares what it sounds like unplugged as long as it's good through an amp?

I guess you're right. Will the strings sound better the more I play them then?
Quote by tabak0
I guess you're right. Will the strings sound better the more I play them then?

yeah, the twangy sound goes after a week or two of playing. They go out of tune very eaily when they're new too. Just play it for a while and the strings settle down.
Quote by Vermintide
yeah, the twangy sound goes after a week or two of playing. They go out of tune very eaily when they're new too. Just play it for a while and the strings settle down.

ive had it since christmas. I havent played it THAT much, but I would have thought that the sound would be gone by now. I think there has been improvement in the sound. I never kept any records of my sound progress so I cant tell
what gauge are you using? the low gauges like .09's and .10's when in E tunning tend to rattle when you play unplugged because there not really under a lot of tension. Its normal dude as long as its not coming through your amp theres no need to be bothered.
Quote by JC13
tabak0, are your strings the same strings as when you first bought the guitar? If they are, then its nothing to do with your guitar. Just get new strings. D'addarios would be good.

i was thinking of getting new strings because yes, they are the same strings as when I first got the guitar.
And maybe the strings aren't right for your playing style, if you play them for a while, and they still sound crappy, change them.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Quote by tabak0
i was thinking of getting new strings because yes, they are the same strings as when I first got the guitar.

Ernie Ball strings are awesome too.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
yea if their the strings that came on it replace them, their always crap