I am going to be playing bass for a rock band, shoud I get a 4 string or 5 string bass?
Opinions please...
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
If your only just starting to play bass I suggest a 4 string.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by Metal_Rich
If your only just starting to play bass I suggest a 4 string.

Yeah, I play guitar. But I am filling bass for this band.
I would say get a 4 string if you are just starting out and filling in for a band
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Go with a 4 unless you think you'll be in anything lower than drop C and don't want all that slacky flap on the strings.
Bass is my life.
For a straight up white boy rock band you probably won't need a 5 string. I don't own a five string and that's what I play and I've never found a need for one. If you start venturing into a lot of metal MAYBE get a five string. But most likely you won't need a five string so don't get one.
if your only buying one to play with 1 band you probably just should get someone else to play it
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
First bass, filling in, just starting. Get a four string.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
wut kinf of music r u playing?...if its lower than drop C, then get 5 stringer...but otherwise you'll be fine with a four string
If you're doing lots of/mostly covers, get a four string. If you'll be playing mostly root notes, get a four string. If you'll be doing much slapping get a four string.

If you'll be writing your own basslines and want as much flexibility as possible, get a five string. If you want to be able to easily access three octaves, get a five string.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
I suggest a 5 string for the ease of being able to use more notes. Plus (depending on what bass you buy) if you have small hands, it'll most likely have smaller string spacing than a 4 string. The downside is they're a little heavier.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I say for just starting, I.e filling in, not getting serious, just get a 4string. If your not going to become a full time bassist, you don't need to spend extra money on something you'll only use in specific types of music.
Quote by FbSa
I say for just starting, I.e filling in, not getting serious, just get a 4string. If your not going to become a full time bassist, you don't need to spend extra money on something you'll only use in specific types of music.

No, I am going to be serious with it. I love bass. I have been playing my grandpa's bass, its a 4 string Schetor or however you spell it. I am going to be in a serious band, no covers!
you have to go with a four string unlease you want a lower sound then go with five
bassguitar4ever
If you're serious, just go for the 5-string. You won't need to get used to the B string later if you get used to it in the beginning. Either that, or try to use that Schecter.

In all seriousness though, it's up to you. Don't let a crowd of nameless asshats from the internet tell you what kind of bass to get. If you think you'll use the lower notes, get a fiver. If not, four.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I say get a 5-string. That way you won't need to worry about upgrading later, and you'll also still be prepared if you decide to get a 4-string afterward.
If you want to be serious with it and have really nice bass lines, get a 5 string for more range.

A "rock band". You sound like that guy in the bowflex commercial lol.
Quote by Confused4930
In all seriousness though, it's up to you. Don't let a crowd of nameless asshats from the internet tell you what kind of bass to get. If you think you'll use the lower notes, get a fiver. If not, four.

ill asshat you bud.

Quote by Confused4930
If you're serious, just go for the 5-string. You won't need to get used to the B string later if you get used to it in the beginning. Either that, or try to use that Schecter.

playing a 5 string, you pretty much are playing a 4 string bass with another string for a thumbrest most of the time. thats how it feels to me at least. it can be a constictive pain, whether he starts off on it or not. i agree on the schecter though, great bass.

if you are going to be buying a 5er, for gods sake make sure its a 35 inch scale at least. i made that mistake with my hohner, but i still love it.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Ranxston
A "rock band". You sound like that guy in the bowflex commercial lol.

LOL. sorry for the double post, but your right. i hate that commercial. 50 year old dude plays like 3 notes on a Rogue and says "look how young and hip i am." i cry a little inside every time i see that commercial.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
LOL. sorry for the double post, but your right. i hate that commercial. 50 year old dude plays like 3 notes on a Rogue and says "look how young and hip i am." i cry a little inside every time i see that commercial.

And I totally hate his stance too. Yeah it does make me cry inside too.
baritone 6 string guitar =S

no -- go 4 string
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
be hardcore, go for an 8-string.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
be hardcore, go for an 8-string.

Yeah, those are pretty cool. Or get a 12-string if you want to go all out.

I saw an 18-string once. That was insane.
i saw a twelve before. i mean 12 seperate strings. it was on this forum sumwhere
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
whatever you want. look up the artist you are covering if the mojoraty use 5 strings get a 5 string if not then it's easyer to start out on a 4 and then eventually you will decide weather you want to move to 5 string primary or stick to the 'ol 4 string.

but if you are covering bands whose bassists all use 5 strings then you will be VERY frustrated later on. no sense in paying $300 an a decent 4 string then haveing to turn around a few months down the road and drop maybe $450 on a decent 5 string when you could have just bought a $500 5 string to begin with.

when i first played bass i was all into punk like rancid, Offspring, AFI. butr then i got turned onto mudvayne, Children of bodom, cradle of filth and they all use 5 strings most of the time so thats what turned me onto getting a 5 string and now i love my 5 string and my primary will allways be a 5 string
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E