i have no idea what to do...for about a year and a half ive been practicing on my own and i had one lesson about 3 months ago cuz i got worried i might have developed some bad habits but he said none and he wasnt the greatest teacher so went bak to self teaching myself but for about a month now i feel like ive hit a big wall...i know my blues scale, major scale, pentatonic (all over the neck)...i have no idea what to practice or how to improve...any suggestions?
when that happened to me, I started learning other people's solos. I started with You Shook Me All Night Long (AC DC) and just kept listening to other songs until I heard a solo I liked and learned them. keep playing for sure. either start making up your own songs or start learning other peoples. and if by improve you mean get faster then it's simple just play everything faster.
Uhh.. try guitar tabs. they work.
So what dude, i've been practicing for 14months with noone teaching me. So what if i develop bad habits. sooner or laterr i'll be really good.
learn natural minor and learn some easy licks from it to solo to backing tracks, once you've got that pretty much sorted you can start to develop it in any direction you want, depending on what music you wana play. All this info can be found on UG
Quote by unholy_love
Uhh.. try guitar tabs. they work.
So what dude, i've been practicing for 14months with noone teaching me. So what if i develop bad habits. sooner or laterr i'll be really good.

sorry for double post but....no you won't! Once you program in bad muscle memory you're ****ed, you'll never be able to perform like the greats....or even the goods for the matter....
ive been doing that, metalzeppelin. but that just really helps me technically...
listen to guitarists that inspire you musically, guitarists that make you want to get better and create riffs/solos like them, that helps you get better fast. Examples for me are Thomas Erak from the fall of troy. Learn some of those tabs and you'll find yourself getting better
Quote by freedoms_stain
Why did Americans decide you remove all the U's from words? was it a pointless act of rebellion? 'Screw you english, we're gonna slightly misspell words to show you don't rule us anymore! suck on that ya limey bum sniffers'?
There's this thing called theory.. which is really good to learn