can anyone offer insight on bass wah pedals? the main one that catches my eye is the Dunlop 105 Q, though i'm also considering bidding on a dunlop GCB 100 on ebay, which is a bit less costly than the 105 Q.

anything you can tell me will be helpful. thanks
i dunno what kind of question to answer but, i can say this its a wah pedal so it will do what a wah pedal does
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
I use the 105Q, but I don't think the GCB100 was out when I got it.

The 105Q is spring loaded so to turn it on you just step on it, and it always returns to the off position when you step off. It has variable controls for level and sweep which are nice to customize your wah and give you a boost.

The GCB100 has a switch, so you'll have to step on it hard to switch it on/off. It isn't spring loaded, so you can get some cool sounds by leaving the pedal on in a stationary position. It has no controls to customize your sound.

That's what I know, hope it helps.
Boss doesn't make wah pedals, do they? They make autowah, but it's not the same.
haha
I use a Behringer Hellbaby wah pedal. It has an adjustable frequency, so you can get a high, tinny guitar wah, or a low bass wah. It wasonly $30 as well. As with Behringer products, I'm sure there are shoddily made and well-made ones. Mine has never failed me.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Boss doesn't make wah pedals, do they? They make autowah, but it's not the same

Boss Power wah. very excellent piece of kit.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
your talking to the wah ***** here

I've got the 105Q, the GCB-95, the Morley PWB, and the Morley PDW. And I used to have a Boss wah as well. And here's my opinions.

The 105Q is probably the best bass wah on the market right now. If you're doing more grooving, funkier stuff. It's got a really solid, strong tone especially when placed after distortion. My only complaints are the auto-shutoff and the fact that the pots are on the bottom. When the wah shuts off, there is a slight lag and a harsh shutoff, making for an awkward transition. And the pots mysteriously like to change their settings whenever they feel like it. That aside, it's a sweet wah. Also, unlike a standard guitar wah, this guy only messes with your mids and highs, and leaves your lows as they are to keep things from getting muddy.

The Dunlop guitar wahs are only good on bass if you're into a really distorted, trebly, Jesse Keeler type sound, but they do have the added benefit of a toe-mounted on/off switch. also, the treadle itself isn't spring-loaded like the 105Q, allowing you to "set" it in a certain postition and have it stay.

The Morley PWB is a good wah if you're obsessed with Cliff Burton. It does the guitar-solo-on-bass thing perfectly. And the wah treadle is huge and comfortable. Beyond that, it's pretty annoying. The on/off switch is off to the side, and when you're done wah-ing, and you hit it, it turns into a volume pedal and you need to quickly step on the wah to get your signal back. pain in the ass!!! the boost is nice, though, for hitting your amp a little harder. And unlike the 105Q, this thing is at home either in front of or behind your distortion box. up to you. also, the PWB has an AC hardwire that's a major drag because it distrupts my 9V chain. It may have been convenient in the 70's but not anymore!!

The modern morley wahs have the same drawbacks, minus the AC hardwire. Also, they are SOOO subtle that you can barely here them. I only use mine as a volume pedal. It's also got built in distortion, but it sucks too. Stay away from these.

The Boss wah actually isn't too bad. The distortion sounds are even fair. It's not as strong as the Dunlop guitar wah, but still good.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
bootzilla anyone?
Acoustic Rig
Yamaha CPX 900 (Main)
Takamine EG531-SC (Backup)
Marshall AS50

Electric Rig
Gordon Smith GS2
Laney VC30 2x12

Bass Rig
Fender Japan '57 Reissue P-Bass
Ibanez EDA900 4 String Active
Peavey Tmax 500w Head + 15" Cab
i've got a morley PWV and a weeping demon.
the morley's pretty good with distortion and the volume pedal can be handy but its a bit weaker on a clean signal.
the demon's pretty sweet with distortion and reasonably strong when clean and its got that whole auto-off option to it as well.
i haven't tried any dunlop pedals yet though.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Quote by mountaindew88
The Morley PWB is a good wah if you're obsessed with Cliff Burton. It does the guitar-solo-on-bass thing perfectly. And the wah treadle is huge and comfortable. Beyond that, it's pretty annoying. The on/off switch is off to the side, and when you're done wah-ing, and you hit it, it turns into a volume pedal and you need to quickly step on the wah to get your signal back. pain in the ass!!! the boost is nice, though, for hitting your amp a little harder. And unlike the 105Q, this thing is at home either in front of or behind your distortion box. up to you. also, the PWB has an AC hardwire that's a major drag because it distrupts my 9V chain. It may have been convenient in the 70's but not anymore!!

hey, i'm back from japan et cetera, got my PWB and a host of other effects. is the action on your PWB a bit screwed? when i turn off the wah it rocks to default position (normal volume) if it's under halfway rocked forward, and when it's anywhere further than default it stays in place. the only annoying thing is turning the wah on and off, which i got used to after a while.

oh yeah, and power issues are a pain in the ass. i fried the transformer because my power converter failed miserably (NZ is 230V, US is 110V) so i had to find an old transformer with the right output, tear out the rectifier so it was AC, disconnect the old transformer in the PWB, and rewire it.. works all good now. and now it's legal, because the transformer is encased in plastic, rather than being exposed on a circuitboard inside a large steel box where the only rubber is the footpad..
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
Last edited by Niff at Feb 19, 2007,
230V? Oh my god!

Actually, if you were looking on the PWB's transformer, the USA used to be 110 volts back when the thing was made. We're up to 120v now, which is the reason a lot of my 70's stuff gets a little hot after a few hours of playing (mostly my two amps, a 1971 Epiphone combo and a 1976 Peavey 700 watt head).
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Feb 20, 2007,
I have the Morley Dual Bass Wah and it's amazing. Do some research on it, it will not make you disappointed.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Quote by ARCtrooper225
Snarling dawgs bootsy sig fuzz-wah??
It's shiny...

Yeah considering one......Over £100 in the UK but lucky for us the $ is low just now so can get it delivered to me from the states for £50!! Shiny...... : )
Acoustic Rig
Yamaha CPX 900 (Main)
Takamine EG531-SC (Backup)
Marshall AS50

Electric Rig
Gordon Smith GS2
Laney VC30 2x12

Bass Rig
Fender Japan '57 Reissue P-Bass
Ibanez EDA900 4 String Active
Peavey Tmax 500w Head + 15" Cab