I'm getting tired of this question:"How do you achieve David Gilmour's tone?".
So, I'm here to settle this forever, and show you some alternatives to achieving David's tone easily.

Early Years....(everything before darkside)

[This first set up was til the early 70's]
Guitar
Stratocasters with a rosewood neck made in year 67'
50's and 60's Telecaster with rosewood neck
Levin acoustics
(everything mostly stock)

Effects
Colorsound Powerboost
Volume Pedal
Vox Wah
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Univibe
Analog Delay(Echorec i believe)

Amps
Selmer with matching cab
Hiwatt with WEM cab
Leslie speaker cab

through most of the early years, his telecaster in the bridge position was used in the studio then lost that july during SFOS recordings. then the tele was replaced by the blonde strat for ummagumma and then was also lost in 69 i believe. . He has been seen live with many other guitars, i.e. E-335s, gretschs, and a few other random amps; orange, vox, a few marshall cabs.

Settings
Delay usually around 300 ms
Fuzz-100%
univibe-intes.100%, vol.100%, rate 50%
His teles and strats were always used in the bridge position
Gilmour uses the volume knob to control the gain amount through out his entire career

Dark Side til Roger leaves

Effects
[im only going to list the new stuff]
EMS Hi-Fli Synth
DynaComp
Phase 90
small stone
Big Muff replaced fuzz face
Peter Cornish Treble and Bass Booster
CRYbaby replaced vox wah
MXR noise gate
Peter Cornish Fuzz
MXR digidelay
EH Electric Mistress
Heli Talk Box
Boss CE-2

Guitar
Gilmour's Black Strat. Rosewood fingerboard til later with a charvel maple neck
Bill Lewis custom guitar 24 frets
Telecaster with a PAF heard on Animals(the dogs guitar)
Martin guitars
1954 strat 00001
ovation acoustic
gibson gold top
fender esquire

SETTINGS
Fuzzes-sus.100, vol.half, tone a little less than half
Dynacomp-vol. 60-70%, sensitivity 30-40%
phasers-rate mostly depends on song

Amps
Twin reverbs
yamaha rotating cab
1 mesa boogie head starting on the wall

during about face, he replaced all of his with BOSS pedals and into the 90s and beyond he started to narrow down his pedal board and added in a chandler tube overdrive, CP9 compress, digitech whammy, proco RAT, and alot of EQ pedals for different applacations. Also in 87, during A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Gilmour brought in the 57' reissue with EMG pickups as seen on Pulse. Later and Later into his career he also started to replace his Hiwatt amps with Fender twin reverb IIs, champs, princetons, etc.

I tried to narrow down most of the set ups to the core, and not go into Peter Cornish and Dave's rack system.

Tips on sounding like Gilmour....
i have comprised a set up that is cheap and an easy way to get gilmour tone

1.The Strat- gilmour's tone isn't from EMGs because he didn't use them til the late 80's. you want a Rosewood neck, Alder body, and SSS. Fender makes custom 54' and 69' pups. which is very convient because Dave used the same ones, except his were the actual thing.

2.The Amp- You want a really super clean amp. Some good ones are Hiwatts, Twin Reverbs, or any kind of Black Face Fender amp will get you it. Ive also seen a couple cover bands use JC-120s and other kinds of roland amps(Aussie Floyd).

3.The Effects-A direct qoute from gilmour is that you can obtain his tone with just BOSS pedals. This may be completley true now that they make a Fuzz pedal. Also realize that Gilmour didn't pay too much attention to the whole true bypass fiasco and had alot of switches and tone loss but Peter Cornish did keep the tone loss to a min. some main pedals you might wanna look into for the tone is:
Fuzz(Bigg Muff Pi)
Phase(Small Stone)
Wah Wah(depending on what era Vox or Crybaby)
Compressor(BOSS makes one and so does MXR)
Digital Delay
rotating speaker effects pedal
tube OD(TS9 or gilmour used an BOSS SD-1)

4.(should be #1 out of anything)Style: gilmours sound is more than anything else on how he plays and not what he plays.

ummm yeah i might have forgot somethings i left out slide guitars
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
I dont remember a article on gimours gear.

EDIT: now i do.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

my guitar world issues were renewed in december and thats the only issue i dont have

WTF!!!!

does anyone know what the march issue looks like im missing it
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Quote by Blues Breaker
wow you have a lot of time on your hands

its all off the top of my head toook like 20 minutes im sick today and have nothign to do.
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
*cough* buy his emgs *cough*
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
or you can replace all of that with david gilmours hands.

i am a strong believer in 90% of tone being in your hands.

and in order to sound like david gilmour, well you have to be david gilmour.

you can get all the early 70's hiwatt custom 100's and vintage stratocasters you want. with the same effects and all. and you still won't sound like him.

you may think you are close to his sound, but you aren't, end of story
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."