I have an epiphone les paul, with the same pickups, same strings, etc.

I was into more metal and hard rock back when i got it (three months) but then my dad got me a hendrix CD and I listened to some of john mayer's electric stuff.

So i like hendrix and mayer...

the problem is... they both use strats, and i don't have one.

Is there anyway i get a similar tone on my epi les paul?

PLEASE don't say get a strat because
I've only been playing for a few months and my parents don't plan on buying another guitar.

Thanks in advance
sometimes
Quote by locomotive4
I have an epiphone les paul, with the same pickups, same strings, etc.

I was into more metal and hard rock back when i got it (three months) but then my dad got me a hendrix CD and I listened to some of john mayer's electric stuff.

Is there anyway i get a similar tone on my epi les paul?

PLEASE don't say get a strat because
I've only been playing for a few months and my parents don't plan on buying another guitar.

Thanks in advance

Hendrix used a lot of effects. Since it would cost quite a bit to get a vibrato on that thing, I would suggest getting an effects pedal. BTW, what amp do you have? Secondly, you could switch out the pickups, but it still won;t sound anywhere near single coil pups.
Um... well my amp says DRiVE on the front, thats it, it has reverb, gain, volume, treb, bass, mid , with lead and clean channels....

Yeah, i was looking at that digitech hendrix effects pedal, is it worth the $200?
sometimes
the thing that would get u the closest to their sound would be changing ur pickups to coil tap ones.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by locomotive4
Um... well my amp says DRiVE on the front, thats it, it has reverb, gain, volume, treb, bass, mid , with lead and clean channels....

Yeah, i was looking at that digitech hendrix effects pedal, is it worth the $200?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294480&highlight=Ultimate+Settings+thread

Hendrix is in that list, not sure about Mayer. That oughta get you closer to sounding like them. But I have no idea if it is worth the dough. Never used one before. Try it out for yourself.
you can get single coils in a humbucker casing, check pick up websites like seymour duncan and ask them
Quote by sajuuk
you can get single coils in a humbucker casing, check pick up websites like seymour duncan and ask them

He can do that, but I find it kind of silly to put single coil pups in an Epi Les Paul. Plus, what if he decides he wants to play some heavy metal etc? If your going to switch out the pickups, get some that are more well rounded and can play a wide variety of music.
can't u just coil-tap the neck pickup or something?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by samuwel
can't u just coil-tap the neck pickup or something?

Like have one pup be the humbucker and the other be the coil tap?
sometimes
yea try the neck pickup with a lot of bass will give you that sound
ibanez rocks
Quote by locomotive4

Hendrix w SG at Dick Cavett show video (click here)

Dude,

1) Jimi Hendrix sounds like Jimi Hendrix whatever guitar he plays.

2) If you wanna to get close to Jimi's Strat sound, assuming you're right handed, you'd have to buy a left-handed model, turn it upside down and restring it.

The sound difference between playing a restringed strat upside down vs a normal stringed strat upstraight is as huge as a telecaster vs a Les Paul.

Your best chance of technically coming close to Hendrix's upside down strat tone is a Fender Jaguar with all those switches allowing you to engage each pickup individually, in-phase or out-phase, in-parallel or in-series.
It's a GUITAR - you can play anything you want on it. Don't bother with the Hendrix pedal - for what that thing costs you could get a better amp. Just use medium gain and roll the guitar volume off to around half, with plenty of midrange, a fair bit of treble and a bit of bass on the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The best bet to sound like anyone you want to is dial in your amp as close you can to their sound and then practise and practise. You can get a Jimi vibe on any guitar, but obviously you'll need to do as the guy above my suggested to get a total Jimi tone.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by thedude051
Hendrix used a lot of effects. Since it would cost quite a bit to get a vibrato on that thing, I would suggest getting an effects pedal. BTW, what amp do you have? Secondly, you could switch out the pickups, but it still won;t sound anywhere near single coil pups.

Hendrix did not use a lot of effects. Where in the world did you get that idea?

He used a Fuzz face and a Vox wah, nothing else, he's famous for NOT using a lot of effects.

TS

If you're just starting out you shouldn't worry about your sound. You can still play hendrix and mayer on a les paul, it's not necessary to have there guitars. You have really nice gear too.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
He used other effects on certain parts of tracks. Like using an Octave pedal on Purple Haze and such.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You dont have to play the same guitar as the artists to play there music. Just do it on your les paul you should be fine.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Seriously. I play RHCP on an Ibanez and it sounds great.
From the book, "Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster", by Tony Bacon. On page 61.

"Jimi Hendrix was the quintessential strat player, but the sound wizard Roger Mayer has recalled that a couple of classic solos were recorded on a Tele. Mayer had been building Jimi a new effects unit, the Octavia frequency doubler. Early in 1967 there was a plan to try the new unit at a recording session following a gig. At the evenings show, said Mayer, "Jimi had a Strat with him and put it through the ceiling, bashing up the tuners. So when we went to Olympic studio later that night to do some overdubs using the Octavia, Jimi had sent [bassist] Noel Redding out to get a Telecaster. He used it for the overdubs to "Fire" and "Purple Haze', including the Octavia solo on "Purple Haze"."
Hendrix used a fuzz, univibe, wah, and octavia thats it.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Dr. No
Hendrix used a fuzz, univibe, wah, and octavia thats it.

And a shitload of studio effects.

Threadstarter, unless you want to record a song, then record an overdub solo, and mix them together with the solo played backwards and some crazy stereo effects, you aint going to replicate Jimi's sound.

Just concentrate on learning the songs themselves, by the time you've learned thirty or so of his tracks, you'll probably be able to afford a Left handed strat (strung upsidedown) and a couple of Marshall stacks. Not actually owning Electric Ladyland studios may be a problem for you, but I'm sure you'll get around it.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by ColdGin

Your best chance of technically coming close to Hendrix's upside down strat tone is a Fender Jaguar with all those switches allowing you to engage each pickup individually, in-phase or out-phase, in-parallel or in-series.

You can do the 3 switch mod on any guitar with 3 pickups, it's a simple matter of wiring.

The guitar isn't what makes the sound, but it does have an effect. Amps are a huge part, effects, etc. All are a bit more expensive than just spending time playing. If you must spend money, start off with GFS pickups. They tend to be really good, and they are far better than their prices suggest.

Know what, just get better, you havn't been playing long.

and woot for Telecasters
Last edited by Lacrimavit at Feb 18, 2007,