Heya everyone, Im new at this forum and kinda new on this site(I have been lurking around for ~a week or two).

Im also a complete newbie at playing the guitar so Im in desperate need of some help.

When Im playing "Tears in Heaven" I find it immensily easier to use my thumb when playing eg the 2nd note.

- - - - -
- - - - 2h3
- - - 2 -
- - - - -
- - 0 -
0 2 -

I use the thumb for the 2 in the bottom, how wrong is it?
I also use it off and on when trying to mute the E string, since I have trouble avoiding hitting it when doing certain chords.

Is this accepted and/or what are the reasons for not using the thumb when playing?

Reg,
ades
using your thumb in this manner is fine.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
it's completely fine!!! hendrix and frusciante use their thumbs. only problem would be if ur playing classical stuff, then it gets nasty.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i sometimes use my thumb when muting open chords, when it's comfortable and doesn't hinder me, like an open C. but to play singel notes, i go fingers only. im sure it doesnt hurt in this case tho
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
There's nothing wrong with using your thumb. If when you're playing an instrument and you play it in a way that helps, and won't have a bad effect on your playing in future, go for it. Play an instrument and song in the way that works for you.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by toddpens8771
Your one of the lucky ones that playing with your thumb comes natural.

it way easier to use your thumb when you're playing, especially on the chords used in tears in heaven,
Learning to play well with your thumb actually improves your technique greatly. Comman in blues-based jams.
ಥ_ಥ
Yeah... what everyone else said. Play how YOU want to play, not how others tell you to. If its comfortable to you then do it.
it's ok, i do the same thing... it's not cheating, you're just using all your fingers (don't forget to use the pinky).