Okay, from what i've learned, the time signature of 6/4 is actually quite similar to 6/8 time: 6/8 consists of 6 quavers in a bar which are separated into 2 dotted crotchet beats. And 6/4 consists of 6 crotchets which are separated into 2 dotted minim beats.

So, 6/4 is really double compound time which has the same type of feel to 6/8.

Now, the problem i have is that in certain guitar mags, when they transcribe a certain song, they use 6/4 time which i think may be in the wrong way. 6/4 really has 2 beats in the bar, but sometimes guitar mags show riffs in 6/4 time which are really just in alternating bars of 4/4 and 2/4. (4 + 2 = 6).
An example of what is alternating bars of 4/4 and 2/4 is the breakdown riff of Aqua Dementia by Mastodon.

So, my question is this:
Is it wrong to say pieces of music that are in alternating bars of 4/4 and 2/4 are actually in 6/4?

Hope that all made sense, lol.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

ok, I'm not good enough with english music words but as I get it I say this...

you can write down things however you like just as long as it stays right and people reading it can understand it and get it right.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Morgy
Is it wrong to say pieces of music that are in alternating bars of 4/4 and 2/4 are actually in 6/4?
Yes, but for the sake of convenience, it's not so bad to write it like that.

6/4 is compound time while 4/4 and 2/2 are not. If you do not understand comound time, please run a search and read anything posted by Gpb0216.