I would like to learn how to make/find tritones too. Not sure what u mean by tritone subsition though...
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Tritone substitution is substituting a (most of the time) dominant chord with another dominant chord a tritone away.

For example, the tritone substitution of G7, would be Db7 - because Db is a tritone away from G7, and because both chords share the same tritone interval between the third and seventh of the chord.

G7 - G - B - D - F. From B to F is a tritone.
Db7 - Db - F - Ab - Cb. From F to Cb is a tritone. (Keep in mind that Cb is enharmonic to B).

Most of the time tritone substitution is used to produce a chromatic bassline within the chord progression (especially in jazz).. the ii - V - I progression in C Major would be D-7 - G7 - Cmaj7. But if you substitute the G7 chord with a dominant chord a tritone away, you get D-7 - Db7 - Cmaj7 (ii - bII - I) and as you can see this produces a chromatic bassline which sounds smoother & more modern - which is the main reason for TT substitution, but there are other reasons.

Devon: To find the tritone of a note, count three whole steps (half an octave, diminished fifth, augmented fourth) away.. so from C to Gb would be a tritone, from G to Db would be a tritone etc..
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Feb 17, 2007,