Didn't know if this is where to post this question but seeing as im playing electric I thought Id just ask in here.

Why are chords sooo important? I mean ive got some tabs of some of my favourite songs and I dont see any chords.

Also the tab I have (Operation ground and pound) dosnt say if to use up stroke or down so should i just presume down stroke? by stroke i mean downward motion of the pick.

Thanks
Chords are the basic layout for scales and appregios. The songs you are looking at have chords in them, there just not shown in there strumming form.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Last edited by SublimeGuitar at Feb 17, 2007,
even if you may not want to learn chords, it would greatly help in playing some songs... even if you don't play chords songs may be easier by using a chord than individually putting your finger on each note (ex: stairway to heaven isn't chords in the intro, but if you use the hand position of the chord that all the notes are in, it makes your life much easier)
Quote by IamGeeK
Didn't know if this is where to post this question but seeing as im playing electric I thought Id just ask in here.

Why are chords sooo important? I mean ive got some tabs of some of my favourite songs and I dont see any chords.

Also the tab I have (Operation ground and pound) dosnt say if to use up stroke or down so should i just presume down stroke? by stroke i mean downward motion of the pick.

Thanks

In your favourite songs, the chords are they just maybe played as power chords or even arpeggioed.

As for up and down stroke. You just use a combination to get the right sound.

All downstrokes = agressive.
All upstrokes = jaunty.
A combination is usually used to acheive the playing pattern. Be it chords or soloing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
woah thats some fast replies right there lol, um ok ill learn my chords which 1's? Ive got a huge chart with 108 of em do i really need them all?
I memorized close to that many when i was in jazz band. So just learn them all lol.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

learn all your major ones for sure and at least have the chart handy for further reference if you need them in playing other songs
yeah, start with open chords, then go to barre. chords are essential to being able to play guitar.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.