I've been wanting to buy a new amp and was wondering what's the closest I could get to an Ampeg SVT sound without spending all the money on one. Is there a pedal, combo or anything I could use to get a sound close enough to the SVT sound? Any suggestions?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Some people recommend the Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver, or you could simulate the amp via a Line 6 Bass Pod.
Thanks dudes, I'll check out the Tech21 SanSamp. Just one quick question, would it matter what amp I ran it through?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I'd go with the Tech21 SanSamp.

Ampeg overdrive-y emulation, and a good DI.

Yep, also you don't exactly need a SVT CL or Pro 4 or anything. They have less expensive SVTs as well.
So what's better in your opinion SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver D.I. or the SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.? Is there a difference in sound between the two or just the fact that the programmable one... Is programmable. Haha.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
welll the programmable one does not have a parallel jack, and yes that and the fact you can program 3 sounds of your choice to the sansamp for the programmable one is the only difference.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
hmmm that sucks because im planning on getting one if i get a Rickenbacker
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
From what I gather, the Sansamp is an awesome piece of kit if your rig is already pretty nice. With a good setup, it gives your tone that extra push into orgasmic territory. But with a crappy setup (Say, a Rogue through a Behringer), it doesn't do much of anything.

Although even with a nice setup, there are people who don't like the tones it gives, but that's obviously a subjective thing.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Get the EBS valve drive pedal. Its the one in which it has a valve in it. Cant remember exact name
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Quote by canadianpunk071
From what I gather, the Sansamp is an awesome piece of kit if your rig is already pretty nice. With a good setup, it gives your tone that extra push into orgasmic territory. But with a crappy setup (Say, a Rogue through a Behringer), it doesn't do much of anything.

Although even with a nice setup, there are people who don't like the tones it gives, but that's obviously a subjective thing.

Actually, not quite. The Sansamp is just what you need if you have to play live or record but have pretty shitty gear. Now, I'm not saying a Rogue thru a Behringer will ever sound particularly good, the Sansamp will actually help it more.
haha
i would say look into swr as well. pedals are good and all, but if you have to run it through your amp (not DI to mixer) then its only really going to be as good as your amp is, even if used via the return jack only.

i would suggest saving up and maybe buying lesser quality ampegs, which may not be as nice as svt but are still pretty nice
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Actually, not quite. The Sansamp is just what you need if you have to play live or record but have pretty shitty gear. Now, I'm not saying a Rogue thru a Behringer will ever sound particularly good, the Sansamp will actually help it more.

That's not what I've heard from bassists in my area who own it, but I have no personal experience with it, so I couldn't say. I would hope you're right though.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Really? When I went into a music store, the guy in the bass dept. told me that if I wasn't happy with my tone atm, the SansAmp wouldn't really do anything.

Then again, he might've been trying to get me to buy like... a whole new rig.

Could someone please hook their SansAmp to a mediocre bass and play it through a mediocre amp and post sound clips?
How about one of those BA115 combo's? Or could anyone suggest lower priced Ampegs that I could get a close enough sound.

Edit: To the guy above me... How the eff did you get money for all that?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
nothing but a SVT sounds like a SVT...not even the SVT-4PRO or SVT-6PRO or SVT8PRO
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
the Ampeg V4BH might get close but you arent going to nail that tone unless you got a all tube amp
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.