My good friend and I have been playing gutiar for quite some time, and have learned a handful of songs together. We started to jam with this other fella that plays guitar and can kinda sing. He is pretty good at guitar... but we do not need a 3rd guitarist, we need a bassist. Besides he can sing and bassist singer would a be a little better share of the limelight right? How should I go about asking him to play bass (he has a bass guitar and amp too)?
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Just tell him that you need a bassist rather than 3 guitar players. But I guess I would convince him by encouraging him to sing or play bass parts that are interesting to play. That could drive him home/
Show him some Victor Wooten.

Of course, that may scare him away from bass too.
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
Find a bass player. He's a guitarist, why should he switch instruments? He chose to play guitar for a reason.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Find a bass player. He's a guitarist, why should he switch instruments? He chose to play guitar for a reason.

He owns a Bass and an Amp...
I would kill to be in a band, seriously. I play guitar mostly but if I was asked to be in a band as a bass player I wouldn't hesistate. As long as I get creative input into whats being written I couldn't care less. If he has a bass he should use it.

Why don't you play bass? It would solve all the problems. If he has a bass just lend from him. One of you has to compromise. So what if you don't get to play your flashy guitar solo? Bass is just as important.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Last edited by monkey of doom at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by monkey of doom
I would kill to be in a band, seriously. I play guitar mostly but if I was asked to be in a band as a bass player I wouldn't hesistate. As long as I get creative input into whats being written I couldn't care less. If he has a bass he should use it.

Why don't you play bass? It would solve all the problems. If he has a bass just lend from him. One of you has to compromise. So what if you don't get to play your flashy guitar solo? Bass is just as important.

Yeah. I mean. Bands aren't about getting attention, they are about music. Bass is important whether people realize it or not. Besides, bass solos kick mucho ass.

Anyway, just talk it over with the three of you. I don't know what you should do if he refuses though. 3 guitarists and then you look for a bassist I guess.
Quote by monkey of doom

there's the attitude you need! good on ya man. i wish you lived in calgary, lol.

anyways, i had a similar problem with a guy who we wanted to be the lead singer, but he wanted to be the second / co-lead guitarist, etc... our kind of music didn't call for two guitars at all, so we told him that, and he sorta stuck to his guns about needing to play guitar, so we parted ways.

i have to say i understand it though. it would feel weird to me to play in a band and not be the guitarist. i'm gonna learn how to play bass though, simply because there's no facking bass players in this city of a million frigging people, so maybe in a year or two i can join a band on bass, just to be "in demand," lol.
Well just straight up tell him you don't need three guitarists and you want a bass player. If he's not too sold on the idea, you all can trade off playing the bass, I guess.
Well, if he has a bass and a bass amp, he obviously has some interest in bass as well as guitar, so I don't think it would be too big of a deal to ask him if he would play bass; unless he seems like he really has his heart set on playing guitar. Like monkey said, a lot of guys really just want to be in a band and wouldn't mind making the switch. That's how my band got our bassist.
you play bass, pussy. goddamn. problem solved. Steve Harris wrote every single part of every Iron Maiden song, and he played bass, prolly cause everyone else was too much of a bitch to do it
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
Last edited by MidEvilDeath at Feb 19, 2007,
Just tell him what you just told us.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by MidEvilDeath
you play bass, pussy. goddamn. problem solved. Steve Harris wrote every single part of every Iron Maiden song, and he played bass, prolly cause everyone else was too much of a bitch to do it

I just figured it would be easier to transfer him to bass as the other guitarist and I have already learned a handful of songs together, and for him to have learn and perfect all the stuff I have would take him at least a month. And the fact that it looks like he is going to do vox made putting him bass seem like a pretty good idea. I actually did just call him up, and all of your advice was helpful. I just told him we don't need 3 guitarists, but we really need a bassist, and he said it was all cool. Just couldn't tell if he was discouraged by this information, or the fact that he's sick as hell right now lol.
Quote by Timothy Leary

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
If you want a bassist, get a bassist. A guitarist that's been told to play bass will probably be a shitty bassist.
Thing is we don't have alot of a choice... There are very few bassists and drummers around here, and those who play, are not very determined. I also hope to keep it down to a 4 man peice if I can...otherwise it would be hit and miss getting everyone to show up to practice sessions. Not to mention how crowded a small bar stage would be with 3 guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer.
Quote by Timothy Leary

Quote by Americanhoser
I just figured it would be easier to transfer him to bass as the other guitarist and I have already learned a handful of songs together, and for him to have learn and perfect all the stuff I have would take him at least a month. And the fact that it looks like he is going to do vox made putting him bass seem like a pretty good idea. I actually did just call him up, and all of your advice was helpful. I just told him we don't need 3 guitarists, but we really need a bassist, and he said it was all cool. Just couldn't tell if he was discouraged by this information, or the fact that he's sick as hell right now lol.

If he's a cool guy, he'll be cool with it
I've been playing guitar for around a year now, and my friend got a bass for christmas and I loved playing it, so I got one the other day... If I was in that situation I'd gladly play bass, its alot more fun unless you love playing solos that much.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
I guess I love playing solos that much...
I seriously considered picking up a bass before... I have one laying around for people that come over to jam on... I learned some licks... but it's just not the same as guitar.
Quote by Timothy Leary

I realize its been resolved but my two cents.

2 words...Paul McCartney

~Dan
you can also use a pedal like whammy and shift you guitar one octave down when you need a bass sound. when you need 3 guitars, dont use it.
no way