I honestly watch a little of both. When I'm playing a repetitive riff (like Swwet Child o' mine) I'll watch mypicking hand and watching my fretting hand only when its changing to a diffrent riff. How bout' you people?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I sometimes watch either or, but it depends, I don't have to rely on watching my picking hand anymore, but when moving up the fretboard more than 5 frets I usually have to watch my fretting hand.
Quote by madpickin03
the pc monitor

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
i would say i mainly watch my fretting hand, occasionally i will check my picking hand. i try to not look at either when i can avoid it, but im not that great YET.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
I rarely look at my picking hand these days. Once you get a feel for where the strings are, and sweet spots for muting, pinch harmonics, etc, there's probably little need for it.
I try to look at my fretting hand as little as possible, but sometimes its hard to get a feel for what fret i'm at.
i watch the fretting hand usually, i have faith that i'll hit the the string :P, if im learning a really intense song, then i look down the middle and use the perefferal vision or however you spell that, and i watch both sort of, usually though its the fret hand if anything
I'm usually watching the bassist or other guitarist, but when I'm not good at a song yet, I watch the fretting hand for the most part, and if the picking hand makes too many mistakes I start watching that one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I tend to avoid looking at either, but I glance down when shifting more than a couple of frets or doing an intricate solo.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
depends, if im playing something like REM - everybody hurts then picking, but normally just fretting

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I usually know where im at for songs but ocassionally i'll glance at my fretting hand
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
rarely do i watch either. I'm more of a show off when it comes to playing, so i practice every song until it becomes a chore (most likely watching both hands) so i can fool around on stage
Fretting hand, but only when I'm changing positions or any of the jazz. I rarely watch my picking hand, I'm always in the position for palm muting and pinch harmonics, so I'm usually all set.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
I've actually devoleped something in my practice time where I play a riff twice looking at my fretting hand, and then twoice looking at my picking hand. So with that I get to where I know where to put my fingers, and my hand knows where to pick.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
after i learn a song i rarely watch my picking hand and sometimes my frettin hand. Depends on the song and how well i know it.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
At all the ladies screaming out my name and throwing their panties at me...

....uhhhh I mean the fretting hand every now and then...

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It depends. Normally my fretting hand because I know I can pick really well. On some of the harder solos I'll occasionally look at my picking hand.
I know I haven't been practicing for very long, but oddly enough, if I look at my picking hand, I seem to mess up more.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have to sing so i dont look (power trios FTW!)
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
Quote by imSpecial2
I have to sing so i dont look (power trios FTW!)

same, but when i practice, i look at my fret hand, because if i get going and accidentally hit the wrong fret, i keep making the same mistake until i hear the difference or glance at my fretter.
A relaxed singer is a singer in control.

Quote by whocares09
"HOT DAMN LITTLE JIMMIES TOUCHIN HIS CACK N BALLS!! YEEHAH!"

OMFG!!! HAHAHAHA!

www.myspace.com/johnny_1990
I only watch my picking hand if I skip strings. Otherwise, fretting hand.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.