So here's the story, I was stupid enough to have my case open while I was putting together my guitar stand for the schools talent show. Anyways, when I was setting up the stand (Which is supposed to be one peice together) The top fell off (Which is wasn't supposed to but a screw loosened.) It fell on my guitar near where my arm rests on it. Now being it a really soft wood, it put a decent sized dent on my guitar. It's not extremely noticable, nor does it bug me. But I was just wondering if I could put something like clear coat, or gloss, or whatever you want to call it to fill the hole, I know you would still be able to see it, but the hole wouldn't be there anymore (It doesn't go all the way through the body) I just want to do something to prevent it from getting any bigger.

I will take pics tomorrow, I guess.

Until then, any recommendations on what I could/should do?

EDIT: I have a few pics, sorry for the low quality, you can't really see the depth of it with the pictures here, oh well.

See, in that last pic it almost looks like it just effected the gloss, but it has depth.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Feb 17, 2007,
Im not to positive, so dont take my word on it, but couldnt he sand the part down, rub it with water and then apply an iron to the area to raise the grain a bit and then refinish the area?

Wait for a comfirmation from someone with more experience, but It made sense to my woodshop teacher.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
You could fill the dent with clear coat. But I would leave it, and infact, I have left the dents on my acoustic alone. It won't get any bigger unless you pick at it. So unless there's paint that may have chipped off the stand, leave it alone.

EDIT: To the guy above me, messing with the thickness of the top and the thickness of the finish isn't the best thing to do to an acoustic.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
You could fill the dent with clear coat. But I would leave it, and infact, I have left the dents on my acoustic alone. It won't get any bigger unless you pick at it. So unless there's paint that may have chipped off the stand, leave it alone.

EDIT: To the guy above me, messing with the thickness of the top and the thickness of the finish isn't the best thing to do to an acoustic.

I was thinking of leaving it, but I don't know, if there is an easy solution I might do it, I might not. I'm just looking for options. I know I probably will leave it though, just looking for a simply solution.
some guys use steam to raise a dent. like said u might want to add a little clear coat if there's bare wood showing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That dent has the finish still in there, just kind of collapsed ontop of the wood. You'd be perfectly fine leaving it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

ok, on my lap top looked like the finish chipped off. it's a little old.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You might be able to get it less noticeabel with steaming but I would leave it.
With the finishes on guitars nowdays if you add clear to the dent it will still be noticable.
It's such a minuscule blemish that I don't know if I'd bother doing anything. Steam can sometimes cause the finish to bubble up, and sanding is a bad idea for an acoustic. One quick fix might be using a technique called drop filling, in which you use lacquer or polyurethane on a toothpick and let it flow into the dent, filling gradually. Google it, and you may get a better description.
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar03.html There's a little bit of a how-to about half way down.

I wouldn't recommend drop filling, unless you clean out the dent, and probably get some of the finish out of there. I'm still pretty sold on just leaving it. I've got two very similar dents on my acoustic, and no harm has come from them.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

^ That won't work with the finish on his guitar. With the nitro finish in that article the new drop fill will "melt" into the other finish making the fill invisible. The finishes used on guitar nowdays don't work like that and the fill will leave a mark. the newer finish are difficult to get a good repair some people drop fill but use CA instead of a finish.