So I was practicing a song for a musical I am in next week and I came across this chord. Now It shows how to play it on the 3rd fret, but for the performance I am supposed to play all these chords I have around the 8, 9, and 10 fret. When I went to www.chordfind.com, it didnt have it. So does someone have a book or something that shows this chord higher up on the fretboard?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
That doesnt really fit in with what I have here. Thanks though bud. Does anyone have anything.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
--

Maybe you can pull that off

Could you show us what other chords you're playing?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Oh ya sorry I didnt give you the chords before. Well the songs is "you make me feel like dancing" (yes, it is that crazy 70s disco song, this musical has all 70s disco music). The chord progression is F, Dm7, Gm7, Gm7/C. Now I have a recording and that last chord has a really nice resolving sound to it, but the Gm7 just doesnt cut it. Im sure I need the Gm7/C.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Actually Muphin, I just figured out the chord that works. Although it doesnt have an A (the 7th), it still works out.

-10 D=5
-11 Bb=b3
-12 G=1
-10 C=the extra C i was looking for
-10 G=1
-10 D=5

Thanks Muphin for giving me those first few notes.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^ that's not /C though. Nor is it a Gm7. Gm7 = G Bb D F. You have no F, and /C indicates the lowest note should be C.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by justin_fraser
Actually Muphin, I just figured out the chord that works. Although it doesnt have an A (the 7th), it still works out.

-10 D=5
-11 Bb=b3
-12 G=1
-10 C=the extra C i was looking for
-10 G=1
-10 D=5

Thanks Muphin for giving me those first few notes.

No problem

I've gotta point out though, that the Gm7 consists of G Bb D and F, not A. If you think that chord works well with the song then use it, but to you're missing the F. This is what I would go for:

It's difficult, if not impossible to hit the low C, but that's the chord.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Oh shit, its getting way to late here. What I meant by the 7th was F, not A. My mind is working backwards right now. Sorry about that guys, but thanks for correcting me.

And UtBDan, I do know that its not the 7th chord cause it is missing that 7th. And I also know that it isnt /C, because you need a bass note for that, but I just figured that since its nearly impossible to make that change quickly, ill just throw it in there. So really the chord would be Gmadd9 (I think thats right).

Thanks for all the help guys, even through my stupidity
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
how do you do / chords? like say for instance you have a m7 1 3b 5 7b what would you do to add a /c or any other note?
You put the C as the lowest voice in the chord. For example, G-7 in root position might be voiced like..

|---|
|-3-| - D
|-3-| - Bb
|-3-| - F
|-x-|
|-3-| - G

But G-7/C (Also called Gm11) would be voiced as..

|-3-| - G
|-3-| - D
|-3-| - Bb
|-3-| - F
|-3-| - C. The lowest voice in the chord, which is the /C part.
|---|

So the chord becomes G-7/C because the C note is the lowest voice in the chord. Do you understand this?
so say you did gm7 you would have 1 3b 5 7b 11 whcih is the c so basically you just add a c on the end but as the lowest voice? and secondly is a m7 1 3b 5 7 or 1 3b 5 7b

and g-7 does that just mean g minus 7 like gm7?
Yes, Gm11 would be the same as Gm7/C or Gm9/C (Depending on whether you had the A in the chord or not) if C was the lowest voice.

m7 is 1 - b3 - 5 - b7, the other chord you posted; 1 - b3 - 5 - 7 would be a min/maj7 chord, and yes G-7 is the same as Gm7.
Just throwing in my two cents here, if you're going from F to Dm7, to Gm7 to Gm7/C, around the 8th fret, I'd do something like:

F  Dm7 Gm7 Gm7/C
X   X   X   X
10  10  8   8
10  10  10  10
10  10  8   8
8   X   X   X
X   10  10  8 

I realize the Gm7/C has no fifth, but it could be omitted.

If the chords are too bassy, you could move the note on the low E of the last three chords to the high E.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
how about this....

e|--3--------------------------
b|--3--------------------------
g|--3--------------------------
d|--3--------------------------
a|--3--------------------------
E|------------------------------

or if you need it higher

e|--15--------------------------
b|--15--------------------------
g|--15--------------------------
d|--15--------------------------
a|--15--------------------------

otherwise, your options have been listed
Last edited by frigginjerk at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by frigginjerk
how about this....

e|--3--------------------------
b|--3--------------------------
g|--3--------------------------
d|--3--------------------------
a|--3--------------------------

He said somewhere around the 8th, 9th, or 10th fret. fret.
I'd play a Gm7/C as:

E-A--D-G--B--e
8-10-8-10-x-10

Or should I say... that's one of my favourite voicings of that chord.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Don't use those chord finder sites. They're stupid, as they only know a limited amount of chords.

You're better off learning how to find your own voicings to chords.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
You can just play a Gm7 chord and have your bass player play a C under it.
Quote by fendermalmsteen
Don't use those chord finder sites. They're stupid, as they only know a limited amount of chords.

You're better off learning how to find your own voicings to chords.

Haha, whatever man. They have about 4 voicings for each chord, and I know how to construct chords.

Quote by ouchies
You can just play a Gm7 chord and have your bass player play a C under it.

Well see, the intro is played by only guitar, so I need it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
personally id do it like this

e-----------------
b---8----------------
g---x---------------
d---8--------------
a---8-------------
E---8--------------