So, during one of periods of sleeplessness, I started thinking about the ultimate wiring schematic for a dual 'bucker guitar. What I was aiming for was versatility without complication. What I came up with was this -
*Dual humbuckers
*A blend pot to switch between pickups
*A concentric master volume and tone pot
*Push-button killswitch
*Two individual switches for coil-splitting.

Could anybody work out a wiring diagram for me? There'd be cookies involved. Also, if you can think of something you would like to see done with wiring, I'd definitely think about including it when I get around to doing this on a guitar.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by sk8erguy171
dude that is a good idea, but couldnt you make the pots push-pulls, and cut down the number of pots?

It's only got two pots (the blend pot is a concentric pot from memory, so you can't really have it push-pull).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah, there aren't any blend push/pulls or concentric push/pulls. If there are, they're rare.

To add to the versitility, you could add a varitone switch to change the cap values. You could also replace the coil splits with split/series/parallel switches and add a phase switch.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Yeah, there aren't any blend push/pulls or concentric push/pulls. If there are, they're rare.

To add to the versitility, you could add a varitone switch to change the cap values. You could also replace the coil splits with split/series/parallel switches and add a phase switch.

Honestly, I'd never use the humbuckers anyway other than split and on full. The varitone sounds like a good idea though.
An update to my wiring plan - on the switches for the coil tap, up switches the north coil off and down switches the south coil off. This allows you to combine a variety of coil positions, much like a bass I saw in a magazine not so long ago. Now, if anybody can work out a diagram for this, I'd be much appreciative.
I can find you a few diagrams for the seperate parts. I assume you're competant enough to peice them together?

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_h011_02 North Split/Full/South Split for the humbuckers.
http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wduss2102 Blend Pot with master volume and master tone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/ata_bbq_lol_omg/guitar%20stuff/killswitch-1.png Killswitch, use the one in the corner, relative to the master volume.

I'm still looking for the varitone wiring.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Almost done! The only problem I'm having is incorporating the concentric (or push/pull, that would work too) tone/volume pot into the diagram. Any help?
EDIT: Oh God, I think I did it. Anybody want to try it out for me?
Last edited by the_random_hero at Feb 18, 2007,
It looks like it's right. I'd still go for the concentric volume/tone, though.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
It looks like it's right. I'd still go for the concentric volume/tone, though.

It should work out approximately the same, just with a lot more confusion, yes? The only problem I can see with it is that it doesn't seem to have enough grounds...oh well.
Who wants to try a new wiring diagram for me?
I would if A) I could find the varitone, and B) if that blend pot didn't scare the shit out of me.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
I would if A) I could find the varitone, and B) if that blend pot didn't scare the shit out of me.

I know how a varitone works, and I've got a good idea how you would do it in a diagram. You'd need a rotary switch with a permanent common ground. You would wire one end of the capacitor to each of the switches poles, the other ends together and the common to the pot.

Paint and a laptop mouse FTW

EDIT: I was right. Look here
Attachments:
Varitone.JPG
Quote by forsaknazrael
Varitone? Just like a 2-way varitone, or a 6 position rotary select?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. Random hero gots it down.

You don't have a spare HH guitar with 4 conductor pickups just lying around, do you?
I knew how varitone works, I just wasn't sure if you did.

By the way, that's the exact page I was looking for. Thanks, buddy.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by forsaknazrael
Hahaha. Why, of course I do...But you know, with shipping taxes being what they are for shipping to Australia...

Yeah, the bastards. You could just test my diagram for me
Quote by forsaknazrael
Perhaps, it's intriguing. I'd need to buy some SPDT switches, a blend pot, and some new push/pulls (mine got scratchy...) though.

Do it! We can patent the circuit

<_<

>_>

Oh well, it was a good idea...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nah, we can still patent it. We just need to round up everyone who has seen this post in the town square...and well, you know, pull a Houdini on em.

*gets out bungee cable, wire cutters, a Capuchan monkey and a transportable noose-on-a-pole*

Don't even ask what the monkey is for.
I helped with this, if you kill me, I will haunt your guys like noone's business.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
I helped with this, if you kill me, I will haunt your guys like noone's business.

I suppose we could spare you. There's always the monkey though, that shouldn't be too life threatening...