I have a Peavey Valveking 112 and love it. It needs some help for modern metal, but is great for everything else. So, if I wanted to get a little better tone out of it by changing the tubes, would I have to get it biased? I don't know how to tell if it's self-biasing (hoping it is), or if it's adjustable bias. If anyone could tell me I'd be grateful. Also, if i do decide to change the tubes what brand tubes (6l6GC's) would give me breakup at lower volumes and generally have better tone for metal like Children of Bodom, Opeth, Pantera, ant other similar bands?

I plan on making this thing as good as possible until 1. I'm good enough to play through a Mesa or similar, and 2. I get enough money for a sweet setup. What I plan on doing is change tubes, put a Vintage 30 in, and whatever else is possible to do. Thanks.

Edit:I noticed on the thetubestore.com that it says that 6L6GC tubes are 30 watts, if they are then why isn't my amp 60 watts instead of the listed 50? Thanks.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by Xeroxed at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by Xeroxed
I have a Peavey Valveking 112 and love it. It needs some help for modern metal, but is great for everything else. So, if I wanted to get a little better tone out of it by changing the tubes, would I have to get it biased? I don't know how to tell if it's self-biasing (hoping it is), or if it's adjustable bias. If anyone could tell me I'd be grateful. Also, if i do decide to change the tubes what brand tubes (6l6GC's) would give me breakup at lower volumes and generally have better tone for metal like Children of Bodom, Opeth, Pantera, ant other similar bands?

I plan on making this thing as good as possible until 1. I'm good enough to play through a Mesa or similar, and 2. I get enough money for a sweet setup. What I plan on doing is change tubes, put a Vintage 30 in, and whatever else is possible to do. Thanks.

More than likely your gonna have to get it biased when its retubed. Its not gonna be self adjusting. I would talk to Bob at Eurotubes and explain to him exactly what you want. A little more breakup whatever. He can help you out. Also, have you tried an attenuator? I'm not completely sure if you can use one on a combo or not but it allows you to crank the amp to 7 or 8 and hear it at bedroom levels.
theres no reason you Couldnt use it on a combo, they have the same type of Speaker Outs.

edit: Attenuators, sorry.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Feb 18, 2007,
always rebias after changing tubes or you run the risk of blowing the amp. i'm a little confused, though. are you just wanting to change the tubes to achieve modern metal tones? if so, just get an overdrive pedal. that'll boost you into heavier tones.
Bloodblooms, I'm buying the Jekyll and Hyde pedal, but I was thinking of changing the tubes to gjsut get a higher quality sound.

Boardsofcanada, what are you talking about?
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Roland Micro Cube
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
good call on the jekyll and hyde. it's a good box. the valveking, though, is the lowest sound quality of peavey's current production tube amps, so changing the tubes will only marginally improve the tone. it's stock tubes aren't so bad that changing will make it badass. not to speak ill of your amp, but if you want a higher quality sound, i'm afraid the only real way to get it is to get a higher quality amp. the good thing is that that doesn't necessarily mean you've gotta shell out a ton of cash.
I sent and email to Peavey on changing the tubes (bias) and if changing the speaker will void the warrenty and this is the response that I got.

Hello,
The Valveking 112 has a fixed bias so you don't need to ( and can't )
adjust this when replacing the tubes. We recommend to replace the tubes
with the same type that are in it ( as it is designd to use ). But, you
may use any modern brand of 12AX7 and 6L6GC type tubes. Note: We
currently use JJ Tubes in the JXS Series & Classic Series. If what you
do to the amp doesn't cause the failure then it shouldn't void the
warranty. Specifically, if the replacement tube(s) are bad and not a
Peavey tube ( but the correct type of tube ) then the tube wouldn't be
covered under warranty, but the rest of the repair would be. Same for
the speaker. It's doubtful the speaker would cause the amp to fail as
long as it is the appropriate impedance. The internal speaker is 16
ohms. At this time this sort of thing hasn't been a problem for us.
Any tubes Peavey offers are warranted 90 days from the date of sale.
Thanks,
Aubrey
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Roland Micro Cube
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+