Page 1 of 2
Just imagine it, a guitar program that allows you to plug in your guitar... and it tabs what you plays!

That would be nice, unless there's a program out there already like it which I haven't heard of.

You think it would be possible?
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Strat
Traynor 80w 2x12 (All tube)
Bad Monkey OD
Crybaby Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

Quote by Axeman99
A solid state half stack is nothing but a PENIS EXTENSION
Definitly possible, but would take a while to develop. You'd probably need to program tuning and stuff like that though.
Nikolas
That would be heavenly, well maybe not but it would be a gem to mess around with.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be very different from Speech Recognition. Probably easier actually!
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
it would have trouble telling what fret you were playing a note on. Like, you could play an A, and it might not be able to tell an A on the fifth fret of your low E, or an open A string, as they are the same note.

edit: shit so many typos
You would probably have to buy a special guitar to go with it, but that's a great idea!
i is cool
Quote by Tophue
it would have trouble telling what fret you were playing a note on. Like, you could play an A, and it might not be able to tell an A on the fifth fret of your low E, or an open A string, as they are the same note.

Very true.

When I first joined here and started exploring the art of writing music, I made a thread about whether a program like this existed. Someone replied, pointing out what Tophue points out.
Spiral Out
Quote by Tophue

That's what I thought too. What that would ened would be a logic engine in it that figures out the most logical fretting location for the group of notes played.

EDIT: Didn't know that a topic like this was created already! Glad to know there are several people in this world who think like me, lol.
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Strat
Bad Monkey OD
Crybaby Wah

Quote by Axeman99
Quote by Tophue

but it may be able to recognize which pole piece in the pickup is picking each note up the strongest, and then go from that string. or make it for piezo equiped guitars, and its what the piezos are picking up.
Quote by metalhead296
but it may be able to recognize which pole piece in the pickup is picking each note up the strongest, and then go from that string. or make it for piezo equiped guitars, and its what the piezos are picking up.

But that would involve hooking stuff up to the pole pieces, making it effectively more complicated. Although something like this would be insanely hard to make easy in the first place.
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Strat
Bad Monkey OD
Crybaby Wah

Quote by Axeman99
A program that could tab what a guitar plays would require some kind of recognition from the fretboard. Now, a program that could discern what notes you are playing, would only require a tuner of some sort, and then just...display and record it as you play.

Yep, possible. In fact, probably already done.
the only way to have a program really do it accurately would be to have sensors in the pickups to find which strings the vibration was coming from and then the computer realizing where the particular octave of the note wold be played on that string
Well, they may have to make some sort of special guitar, such as the line 6 variax, so if someone invented this, theyd probably make some huge deal with the major companies having these things installed into em or something.
Quote by Tophue

well, if they got it really advanced, it would be able to tell the difference. an open A on the 5th string sounds "brighter" then an A on 6th string, 5th fret. i know there's a proper term for this property, but it escapes me at the moment.

that would be a kickass program.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Maybe have a pressure sensative fretboard? Or vibration sensors in the bridge saddle.
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Strat
Bad Monkey OD
Crybaby Wah

Quote by Axeman99
There are indeed programs that notate what notes you play on a keyboard - any recording program with midi function will do this.

But guitar? Not yet.
To the arguement going on above, I think it would be more efficient to have it be based around the neck of the guitar as opposed to the pickups. Like the guy a few posts above me said, pressure sensitive.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Except that tries to install spyware on your comp.
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Strat
Bad Monkey OD
Crybaby Wah

Quote by Axeman99
Quote by gilbeaux1983
There I'm done!

I'm skeptical.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
My school band has something that will do that for percussion. I had to lay down a snare track about a wekk ago. this stuff is sweet.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by Trevor6
You would probably have to buy a special guitar to go with it, but that's a great idea!

First off, I think there is something like this but its for drums, if you've ever seen the movie Drumline its used when the leader of the drumline is teaching the main character how to read sheet music. and about the guitar problem, Gibson has a new guitar out that has six mini humbuckers, one on each string, right in front of the bridge. then it uses an ethernet cable to connect it to some box that comes with it, look it up on sweetwater.com and you'll see.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by WannabeShredder
Just imagine it, a guitar program that allows you to plug in your guitar... and it tabs what you plays!

That would be nice, unless there's a program out there already like it which I haven't heard of.

You think it would be possible?

I'm gonna race you to the Patent Office starting....NOW!

But that's a damn good idea

EDIT:
Quote by Methuselah

Damn
Last edited by kthanxbai at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by sixstringsteve
well, if they got it really advanced, it would be able to tell the difference. an open A on the 5th string sounds "brighter" then an A on 6th string, 5th fret. i know there's a proper term for this property, but it escapes me at the moment.

that would be a kickass program.

Are you thinking of tambre?

Anyways, it would be tough to do that since every guitar has a different sound, and you would probaly have to calibrate your guitar to the program.

Also, i would suppose that the ability to recognize bends and harmonics would be programing hell.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
i rekon its possible, why dont u guys make it. dont see why not.
it wouldnt matter, say u play an open e or 7th fret on 2nd string e, it could tab out A way to play it, or a more advanced program could recognise the frequency, they're all different! make it!
- tommy
ha its not the same thing, but my band teacher at my school has this program where you plug a keyboard into the computer and you can pick whatever instrument you want in whatever key and whatever you play on the keyboard is transfered onto like sheet music or tabs on the computer. its really rad.
Quote by tombomb22
it wouldnt matter, say u play an open e or 5th fret on 2nd string e, it could tab out A way to play it, or a more advanced program could recognise the frequency, they're all different! make it!

Fixed.

Anyway, that would be kinda cool, although it would probably never be perfect unless as someone else said you used a special guitar for it.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
It's very possible. And realizing if you was in the E 5th fret or the open A wouldn't be a hard thing. After you finished playing, it'd check what possibility would be the best and arrange it so it's the most comfortable. If you don't like how it arrange it, you could check other possibilities, and the software would learn what's your style.

Too bad I'm not a programmer
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

In Guitar Pro it has fingering that is somewhat logical. If you import a midi, it shows the tabs in the closest (but not always best) finger position. I don't think it would matter what fret, as long as the note was the same. You can always play the note on a different string on a different fret if that feels more comfortable.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Quote by tombomb22
it wouldnt matter, say u play an open e or 7th fret on 2nd string e, it could tab out A way to play it, or a more advanced program could recognise the frequency, they're all different! make it!

unfixed, i was right dude
- tommy
Page 1 of 2