Page 1 of 2
So after i got my new guitar i decided to have a little fun with my cheap ebay guitar:

I had no idea what i was going to do to it so i just started cutting:

Which was when i realised it was made of plywood, damn cheap guitars. Oh well i soldiered on and started stripping it:

More stripping:

I also stripped the neck and reshaped the headstock a bit:

After i finished shaping i applied a few layers of undercoat:

I thought red looked cool so on it went:

After a few coats of red and some clear coat on the neck i started to reassemble:

And the finished guitar:

It turned out way better than i expected as this was my first try at guitar customizing.
What do you guys think?
Nice, I really like the body shape a paddle or widow headstock would complement it alot. Can't wait to see the finished product.. Maybe a black gloss w/ red pinstripes finish?

Edit: Didn't see the finished pics.. That works too. I'm not really lovin the red alot but it works.
Please say I'm not the only person that thinks this looks god damned amazing?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
awesome job man i love it

i looove the shape
start your own guitar company NOW

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Why thank you. I was gonna put a widow style headstock on it but i didn't have enough timber from the headstock shape that was already there, so i just continued with a curve theme.
First customizing job? Very impressive. I'm still on my first job...in it's 2nd year now. *cringe.

Where'd you get that pickguard?

And how does it play/sound/feel?
damn, that looks really sweet. Makes me want to make a custom.
Quote by Sun Child
I LOVE YOU

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
how did u get the idea for the body?
real nice btw
Quote by flesh fries
"did it hurt?"
"did what hurt?"
"when satan piledrived you up from hell you bitch"

say that to a girl and BAM...immediate sex...or a smack

lmao
That looks really good. When I saw the bolt on Les Paul with a strat trem route, I though it would be some dumbass les paul copy with a strat trem. But dayum boy, props.

Actually, there's only one thing that needs, and it's that you need to paint the headstock red.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Patent that body and headstock shape or someone will make money off of it. You say no big deal now but in 5 years when BC RICH has made a million dollars off that one shape you'll be pretty pissed.
thats a crazy ****ing shape... it kinda makes me wanna go slice up my squier...
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I've got a bit of experience with wood working and such but thats the first time I've done anything to a guitar.

The pickguard was on the original ebay guitar. I'm thinking about getting some decent pickups for it cos the ones on it are cheap and sound very tinny and are a bit noisy.

Its a lot lighter now and heaps easier to play, i forgot to mention i reshaped the neck as well so its a lot better.

It doesn't sound as good as my epi but I'm pretty sure thats because of the pickups mainly and secondly the plywood body.

Thanks for the positive replies guys, you've inspired me to make a version of it with real wood this time!
Yeah man... seriously, when people see that body shape they're gonna FREAK... it looks really really good.
As to how i thought of the shape, it kinda just came to me, i was kinda mad the day i started cutting so i wanted it to be nice and pointy.
**** man, that's awsome
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Like you said, make it with real wood. But instead make it rear routed with a bridge humbucker and if you want keep the trem. But ditch the single coils and the pickguard. I think that would put this guitar over the top. Then again you could do whatever pup configuration you want, thats just my opinion.
Quote by rafarquhar
Please say I'm not the only person that thinks this looks god damned amazing?
you're not...

god... I wish I could do that too! I usually hate that "gibson shape" but your costumization of it is just... WOW!!!

VERY NICE JOB!!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Oh shit' that is ****ing sweet.
"Member of the Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join"
Comander of the silly sausage army pm me or KCGIG1 to join!

My gear:

Electric: Mexican Fender stratocaster
Acoustic: navaro
amp: Fender frontman 15G
Very well done especially for a first build.

The guitar looks great.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Pretty cool. Looks a bit thin around the middle but apart from that it's sweet. I agree that for the real wood version.. Rear routed. 3 a side headstock. EMG/s. And probably a hardtail bridge. Tht would make it a killer guitar.
holy crap, that is awesome, its amazing how much more aweosme you can change a guitar
It's amazing how easy it is to do too. It would be so much easier working with some decent timber, working with plywood is a bitch!

I'm thinking for the next version a setup similar to a v. Single or double 'bucker with maybe the string through body bridge they have and a single volume knob. Not sure about colour though.
Quote by Will_Minus
But dayum boy, props.

Actually, there's only one thing that needs, and it's that you need to paint the headstock red.

I second that.

DAYYYYYYYYYYYUMMMMMM SON.

Nice job.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Everyone sayinf "Make it with EMGs rear routed and a hardtail" should really shut up.

If you don't think what this guy has now is so damn super cool you suck. Making it rear routed with two humbuckers would be so boring and it'd lose its look, it looks great stick with that. Or HSS/HSH keep a single in there it makes it look fuller.

EDIT: How about Beveling the body?
That would make a Hawt production model.

They could follow your exact process.

you might have a career in designing instruments just with random cutting.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
That is insanely beautiful, I would marry that. Make sure B.C rich don't steal that design!
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
The thing I love so dearly about it is that the shape is that OMGWTFMETALD00D, yet the pickguard and the pickups retain a classy feel to the guitar.

Very nice, perfect balance between classic and OMGWTFMETALD00D.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by thomasgrant
Did NOT turn out like I expected when I saw the first photo. That is hot. Great job!

Seconded I thought It'd be some "I have a les paul body cos I want to be like my favourite guitarist slash and jimmy page and buckethead cos i have heard stairway to heaven and november rain" (I know a guy like that but he bought a les paul copy instead of the body :p But this has turned out insane, if yuo make proper versions of that (I suggest alder body but mahogany would probably be better) You could sell them for loads.
Wooooow! I really like that! Imo, the black pickguard compliments the red body really well.

But daaaamn, I love that shape.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
It's been said many times, and I'll say it again: that is awesome work

The shape is very clever, and most of all I love the colour. My dream guitar was always a red strat with a black pickguard.
Page 1 of 2