Okay, I wanna take a cheap guitar and turn it into a monster. If it is a strat copy, I want one with a humbucker in the bridge position. I plan on changing the bridge, tuning keys, pickups, pots, wiring and paint job. Gotta have a decent neck though. So should I go with a strat copy or a Squire 51? If you say strat copy, which one would you recommend (considering it has a humbucker in the bridge position)?
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Also consider replacing the jack and the caps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I always wanted a 51 to play with. In a customizing way. The nice thing about necks is that you can sand and finish them to anything you want. I took the blarg neck on my Squire and shaved it into an asymetraical hard edged U profile up to the 12th frets and the standard C shape the rest of the way...because I can, and I like the feel.
Yeah, everything but the body and neck is going. Just need to find a cheap strat copy or a 51. Any suggestions on which one to get?
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
I have heard good things about the 51 as far as value goes. I have even heard some people say that they got a birdseye maple neck with it. I dunno, as I saw one in person once and I wasn't aware of what birdseye maple was at the time.
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
I have 2 Squier 51s. They have been discontinued so if you want one, better not wait too long. Anyway they are great guitars stock. And there are lots of mods that you can do to it. The 51 modders forum has tons of people modding this guitar.

If you want a cheap strat, look at the SX strats on http://rondomusic.net/

I have the SX SST62 in red. One thing that I didn't like about it was the pickups.

The 51 is a better all round guitar, but the SX looks more like a strat and is still good but not as good as the 51.

Hope this helps.
How is the neck on the 51? Would it need replacing or does it play well? I have never touched one, but figured for customizing if I didn't care for the neck I would get a replacement.
I have 2 51s and both of the necks feel great and both fret boards are good. But they don't feel the same, its like 2 different guitars(models). The only way that I will replace my neck is if the frets wear out.