im trading in all my crappy shit on monday for better stuff and theres a strat there that im thinkinga bout getting. its 500$ and the guy there says its some kind of limited edition thing from 1982 the thing about it is rather then 3 single coil pickups like a normal strat it has 2 humbuckers and an extra switch that changes w/e humbucker youre using into a singlecoil
im wondering if anyone has an information on this thing and if its worth buying or is going to be a waste of my money.

edit:
Does anyone know anything about a specific model of strat that came standard that way? if it was modded by whoever stold it to the store ill be more hesitant to buy. Id also like to know if im getting a good deal.

edit: its not a strat its a lead III
Last edited by Against Him? at Feb 20, 2007,
thats worth buying...the thing that turns the humbucker into a single coil is called a coil tapper(coil tapping) and that guitar will be a ****ing dream to play...buy the guitar trust me it should be able to handle pretty much any style of music
I dont know about the HH on a strat, I think that would kind of ruin the "stratness" of it. Although a SSH strat with coil tapping = my dream strat.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
thats worth buying...the thing that turns the humbucker into a single coil is called a coil tapper(coil tapping) and that guitar will be a ****ing dream to play...buy the guitar trust me it should be able to handle pretty much any style of music

Its not a button though its a switch it looks the same as the pickup selector and both of them look the same as the pickup selector on a les paul, as opposed to the plastic topped switch on a strat. i thought coil tappers were usually a button. I played the thing for a while and i really liked it, im going to definantly take another look at it though.
I think it'd called a "fat strat".
Guitars
2-Fender USA strats
2-San Dimas Charvels
Gibson Les Paul w/EMGs
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez Destroyer
Amps
Fender Twin Reverb RI
Fender Vibroverb Reissue
Lee Jackson XLS-1000
Marshall JCM900 Dual Rev
Marshall JCM900 SLX
HH would be Double Fat strat
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
...the thing that turns the humbucker into a single coil is called a coil tapper(coil tapping)

Coil tapping: in a pickup circuit, a switch that engages in a part or all of the winding of a coil.

Coil tap: additional to the 2 wires allowing the connection of both ends of a coil, a coil tap is a 3rd wire, electrically connected somewhere along the coil wire, for the purpose of using a smaller number of windings than the entirety of those windings constituting the whole coil. Practically, instead of using all 3000 windings of a single coil pickup, the coil tap allows you to use, say, the first 2000 windings, by providing an early electrical coil termination at the 2000th winding.

Coil splitting...often mistaken for coil tapping: in a pickup circuit, a switch that engages one, several***, or all coils of a multi-coil pickup, i.e. humbuckers.

***several coils, as opposed to all or both coils, as there exist 3 coil (and perhaps more) pickups.
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Against Him?
its 500$ and the guy there says its some kind of limited edition thing from 1982 the thing about it is rather then 3 single coil pickups like a normal strat it has 2 humbuckers and an extra switch that changes w/e humbucker youre using into a singlecoil
im wondering if anyone has an information on this thing and if its worth buying or is going to be a waste of my money.

Below, 1981 "Fender Lead III"

Fender Lead III, manufactured between 1981 and 1982
String through body
Fixed bridge
Three way toggle for pup selection
Three way toggle for coil tap
One Volume
One Tone

First off, Fender introduced the Lead series as a cheap version of the strat, in an attempt to counter Musicman's grasp on the market with their early StingRay and Sabre guitars introduced in, respectively 1976 and 1978:

Second, a Fender Lead III is NOT, repeat NOT a Strat, and doesn't sound like one.
The closest fender sound you get with this guitar is rather that of a Telecaster.

Finally I understand Fender Lead IIIs are quite scarce, but demand is almost non-existant. The latest sold price of a Lead III on Ebay is less than $400.
That has got to be one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen, I want that so bad!!!
Play it for yourself and find out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Eewww,thats no Stratocaster,thats wangacaster's retarted cousin.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by ColdGin

Second, a Fender Lead III is NOT, repeat NOT a Strat, and doesn't sound like one.
The closest fender sound you get with this guitar is rather that of a Telecaster.

Finally I understand Fender Lead IIIs are quite scarce, but demand is almost non-existant. The latest sold price of a Lead III on Ebay is less than $400.

I went back and played it again today and it is a Lead III. Sounds pretty good but the volume knob on it is terrible, basically is either all the way up or sounds like crap.
Is this thing worth my money at all? It's a 1982 for $500 but i know i can talk the guy down a bit.
i wouldnt, just because to me it sounds like buying an old squire wannabe when you could get a regular double fat strat(i think there the same price as standards?) and coil tap the humbuckers yourself. its a fairly easy thing to do
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
you could get a regular double fat strat(i think there the same price as standards?) and coil tap the humbuckers yourself. its a fairly easy thing to do

Just curious, how exactly do you "coil-tap" the humbuckers ?