R + 3 + 5 + 7 + 13... is that a R13 chord or a R7add13 chord??? Cause in some books/sites, I read that a R13 chord has to have the R+3+5+7+9+11+13 and in other sites/books I read it has to have R+3+5+7+13 other things... so which is right??

same question for R11... is it R+3+5+7+9+11 or R+3+5+7+11...??
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Well I would count that as a R13 because you dont need all those notes in there.

In this site here, http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm, they count it that you dont have to include them all. If you did, it would be rather impractical because you chord fingerings would be all over the place to get all those notes.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Isn't R13 R + b3 + 5 + (b)7 + 9 + 11 + 13?
That's what I read somewhere. The flat 7 I'm unsure about. =/

OK nevermind. I read that site, and yeah the guy above me is right, just R, 3, 5 and 13. The 9 and 11 are optional, but add more flavour/feeling to your chord I guess.

Last edited by st.stephen at Feb 18, 2007,
R + 3 + 5 + 7 + 13... is that a R13 chord or a R7add13 chord???

That is actually the formula of a maj13 chord.

A 13th chord would be 1-3-5-b7-(9)-(11)-13

same question for R11... is it R+3+5+7+9+11 or R+3+5+7+11...??

This is the formula of a maj11 chord.

An 11th chord would be 1-3-5-b7-(9)-11

In 13th chords, due to the density of sound created by the number of notes, some notes can be dropped. The 9th and 11th are optional as is the 5th to a lesser extent.
In 11th chords, the 9th and to a lesser extent, the 5th are optional.

If you have a 13th chord that has the 9th and 11th included, thats fine, its still a 13th chord, but they are optional and commonly omitted. Same applies to an 11th chord that has the 9th included.
ok thanks a lot guys!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!