Page 1 of 2
I should have stated that earlier.

What's the range I can spend without it being absurd? For example, if a $500 guitar will do, why buy a $1500 one, besides the fact that it's just better?

if that makes any sense...

well since I need the guitar and amp I'd say anywhere from 700 - 2,000. I figure the amp will be at least a couple hundred and the guitar a little more, but I could always be wrong.

My dad doesn't want to go nuts here, but if it's better to get quality gear in the beginning then I'll go for it.
if ur just a beginner you should get a lower end jackson or esp for metals i have no idea for amps but you could probally get a boss ds1 distrotion pedal and give u a good metal sound??

im a bit new to electric what happens when u play accoustic
Please only people who have used electric and know what they're talking about
It's better to get modest gear at first in case you don't stick with it. Even if you're absolutley sure you will.

I'd say $500 on a guitar $500 on an amp if you can. That's better than where most start out but if you can afford that go for it.

You can get a good Ibanez, Epiphone, or Agile for that. then I'd recommend a Peavy tube amp to go with it. After that you can decide what else you might need.
Do amps handle distortion well, or will I have to buy a pedal? Basically when I play I want it to sound like actual music, and not all the chucked up shit that comes out of cheap gear.

$500 a piece sounds pretty good. Do you recommend anything used or on ebay? People always say try the guitar out before buying it, but I've never played so I wouldn't know.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVVKING112

www.rondomusic.com Electric guitars pgs 7-8

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+11&Ntk=All&Ntt=Epiphone&Nty=1&page=1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+11&Ntk=All&Ntt=Ibanez&Nty=1&page=1

Check those links man. Ideally you wanna go to a guitar store and try out a bunch of stuff in your price range and see what suits you best. If you don't wanna or can't do that these are what I would look for in that price range.

That Peavey has some good crunch to it on it's own you could get a Boss Turbo Distortion or something a little hotter if need to after you see what it can do,
Last edited by magicninja_ at Feb 18, 2007,
Woah you're awesome. I didn't expect this much help.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR320EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512359

One more question. When it talks about being geared toward one genre vs. another, such as hard rock, what does that mean exactly? Does it mean that if I wanted to do something by Stevie Ray it wouldn't sound good? Or is this just talking about being towards the harder end in which case the sound sounds best under a hard rock setting?

Or, next question, is: because it's geared toward one genre will that give it a very general sound that sounds like anyone elses who owns the guitar? In other words, since it's geared toward hard rock, will anyone who owns this guitar sound the same as me because they're settings are close to mine?

If these questions are dumb just let me know. I think I have to pick something and go with it already.

Thanks again!
Some basic things, your amp/gear choice is going to depend on your music choice, as shockingly, a metal setup isn't going to cover stevie ray

Some general, higher end beginners stuff - generalizing like mad here

Blues/Rock
Fender Standard Stratocaster (SSS)
w/ Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Classic Rock/Heavy Rock
Fender Standard Stratocaster (HSS) or _____ (something I'm forgetting)
w/ Vox Valvetronix AD30VT or Roland Cube 30x

Heavy Rock/Metal
Ibanez RG321, lower end Jacksons etc.
or Epiphone Les Pausl
w/ Roland Cube 30x

These are just some suggestions, god knows there's hundreds of other options, these would be some of the most popular, and would set you back around $600 for guitar and amp

Basically - define your genre - and then pick. Versatility, I recommend the fat (HSS) strat, though many others, have many other favourites
There are no dumb questions. That guitar might have trouble gettimg a great blues sound or even a great clean sound . It'll do it but it won't be as great as say the Epiphones would. The Epiphones probably wouldn't do as well at really heavy distortion though. You have trade offs with everything. You have to decide what you want and go with it like you said. That Ibanez would be a great first guitar for someone who wants to get into metal.

Second question. No If me and you played on the exact same rig we wouldn't sound like eachother because we have different styles. Most of a guitar players tone comes from their hands.
Quote by gardon
Woah you're awesome. I didn't expect this much help.

One more question. When it talks about being geared toward one genre vs. another, such as hard rock, what does that mean exactly? Does it mean that if I wanted to do something by Stevie Ray it wouldn't sound good? Or is this just talking about being towards the harder end in which case the sound sounds best under a hard rock setting?

Or, next question, is: because it's geared toward one genre will that give it a very general sound that sounds like anyone elses who owns the guitar? In other words, since it's geared toward hard rock, will anyone who owns this guitar sound the same as me because they're settings are close to mine?

If these questions are dumb just let me know. I think I have to pick something and go with it already.

Thanks again!

Gear being geared towards a genre normally means that the tone of that gear suits the gear. For example, metal players generally use guitars made out of darker tonewoods (mahogany, basswood) with high-output humbucking pickups, so the tone is darker and better suited to deal with high-gain situations. Keep in mind, this is just a GENERALISATION. There's plenty of examples where this may not apply.

Unfortunately, due to the differences in individual gear, you will never get a tone exactly the same as anybody else. Generally, if a few people say they have a guitar that is well suited towards a genre, with a bit of tweaking you can get similar tone.
I would definitely look at the Vox Valvetronix/Roland Cube series (for a beginner, 30w is plenty). These amps are hybrid (meaning part tube, part solid state) and are very versatile for their price. They are modelling amps, as they replicate the sounds of more expensive amplifiers. The Cube is better for distorted stuff, the Vox is known for being a bit lighter and better with the cleans.
Vox Valvetronix
Roland Cubes
For the guitar, I'm a bit favoured towards Schecters. They are very good quality for their price. These are guitars in your price range. There would definitely be some good higher-end Epiphones in that price-range too. Stick away from BC Riches (known for bad tonewoods and hardware/electronics). Do a search for metal/rock guitars because there have been plenty of recent threads on this same topic.
Good luck

EDIT: Damnit! Those guys above posted some excellent advice too. I wish I typed quicker
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Just to add my 2 cents, I believe it's a good idea to start your electric playing on a single coil equipped guitar. they can't handle the same level of gain as humbuckers, and we all know how tempting the lure of distortion is to a beginner guitarist, as it can be used to hide your mistakes. Also, if possible, a fixed bridge is easier to string, and keep in tune.

As a side note, I know you want to play heavier styles, but pop and funk are excellent genres to develop a tight, solid rhythmn technique(no room for ****-ups in a 3 minute pop song, lol, and not alot of gain to hide the ones you do make). Learn a bit from all styles, it will make you a more complete player, an besides, you should listen to anything you can takelicks from. Remember, talent borrows, genius steals.
I can't tell how heavy "heavy" really is. Basically I want distortion, but I don't like the scream-o metal bands. I listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Children of Bodom, etc. They are heavy and carry a distinct tone.

What I'm saying is that I don't want to buy something that can't get close to those sounds. I don't want it so distorted where you can't hear anything, but then again I don't want to take an acoustic guitar and hook it up to a distortion pedal (see what I mean?)

So when someone says "can you play guitar?" I can be like yes. And when they ask me to play something I can play other songs besides "Raaa RA rRRRAAAA!" metal screaming

But is that what a distortion pedal is for? If I get a good rock guitar and amp, then buy a metal distortion pedal, will that produce the sound I'm looking for? Otherwise, why get a pedal?
The Roland Cube will be able to get the tone that you want without a pedal.

$500 - Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 w/ EMGs - EMGs are active pickups that are very popular for high gain music (And here is one with a finishing flaw for only $380!!!).

$570 - Godin Freeway EMG - Better build quality than the Epiphone, but you'll get a different tone out of it because of the bodywood.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 18, 2007,
Search for Schecters, they are amazing, more geared toward metal, and versatile at the same time.

As for amps, get a Roland Cube 30, they have great metal tones.

Pedals? Electroharmonix (sp?) Metal Muff is an amazing pedal for heavier music.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Roland Cube will be able to get the tone that you want without a pedal.

$500 - Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 w/ EMGs - EMGs are active pickups that are very popular for high gain music (And here is one with a finishing flaw for only $380!!!).

$570 - Godin Freeway EMG - Better build quality than the Epiphone, but you'll get a different tone out of it because of the bodywood.

Dude, dont get EMGs yet, they are incredibly high output pickups, which don't sound very good on low end amps (VERY muddy). When you have a tube amp, then you can think about getting some EMGs.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
A pretty decent tube amp for what you want to play at your price (you should look in the Gear & Accessories forum for the Gear Information Sticky at the top to learn the difference between Tube and Solid State) is the Randall RG50TC - $560.

Quote by Welsh Guitar
Dude, dont get EMGs yet, they are incredibly high output pickups, which don't sound very good on low end amps (VERY muddy). When you have a tube amp, then you can think about getting some EMGs.

He doesn't *have* to get a low-end amp .

If he knows that he wants to play and knows what he wants to play and is willing to pay the money, why not? .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
A pretty decent tube amp for what you want to play at your price (you should look in the Gear & Accessories forum for the Gear Information Sticky at the top to learn the difference between Tube and Solid State) is the Randall RG50TC - $560.

He doesn't *have* to get a low-end amp .

If he knows that he wants to play and knows what he wants to play and is willing to pay the money, why not? .

Im pretty sure that amp isn't all tube, because it only has 2 tubes in it. But I might be wrong.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Perhaps try the Washburn X50PRO? It has coil tapping, SD pickups and pretty much everything you need for a versatile guitar.
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Im pretty sure that amp isn't all tube, because it only has 2 tubes in it. But I might be wrong.
My amp has two tubes and that's all tube (rectifier aside).

For the amp, I would go for the new mini PV JSX coming out (all valve miniature version of Satriani's amp) or if you cannot get hold of that, a PV Valveking Royal 8, with an Ibanez RG321MH. That's not low-end gear by any means, that's a good, strong starter setup, and the guitar has good upgrade potential too (new bridge, new tuners, new electrics and fret dressing will make it play and sound the same as an $800 guitar at 1/3 of the price).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Welsh Guitar

It uses EL34 for power tubes and 12AX7 for preamp tubes; it just doesn't say it there on mf.

All tube
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Low end amps dont make EMGs sound muddy. Trust me. I own both.

In my experience, they do. I siuppose there are instances where this is not true. But i still think passive pickups would be a better choice, unless he buys a tube amp.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

+

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blonde-Blues-Junior-Guitar-Amp?sku=480491

=

Good guitar and amp for a good price. The cleans will be amazing, ligher distortion will be great for blues and some classic rock stuff, and a overdrive pedal can boost it to metal or simply a distortion pedal even. The HSS strat is a awsome guitar, Very versitile with the humbucker in the bridge.
Ok I think I know what I'm getting. I like the good reviews these two got and I love the finish as well. the only question I have is why are they much different in price? what's so good about one that the other doesn't have?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SAS36FMTG-Electric-Guitar?sku=517961

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-SZ720FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519986

Thanks
Better pickups, better quality hardware, etc. For that price range, you should definitely check out Schecters. Not only do they have (IMO) better looks, they have better pickups
(SD > Duncan Designed anyday) and most hardware (TonePros bridge > Gibraltar III). These were on the models I was looking at anyway.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Key thing to remember for beginners: Amp > Guitar

try the peavey valveking 112 or 212.

for metal guitar, check out ibanez.
METALLICA.
I have the valveking 112, its a fantastic amp for cleans and classic rock/blues type distortion, but unless you like scooped mids its distortion wont cut it for metal, easily solved with a pedal.
I started on a $99 Squier Bullet with no amp. Really, you can start out playing for a very small amount of money. You don't need a pro rig to learn. If I were you, I'd buy a beginner guitar for now, and decide on some more expensive equipment when you learn some more about guitars and the equipment that goes along with them. But, hey, that's just me.

If you have the cash, why not, I suppose. I don't really have any other advice at the moment. You seem to be in a good way getting advice on equipment and such. So, whatever you decide, cheers!

For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by gardon
Ok I think I know what I'm getting. I like the good reviews these two got and I love the finish as well. the only question I have is why are they much different in price? what's so good about one that the other doesn't have?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SAS36FMTG-Electric-Guitar?sku=517961

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-SZ720FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519986

Thanks

Seriously, check out the Washburn X50PRO. It's like the SZ but with PROPER Seymour Duncan pickups AND coil tapping! Very versatile.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X50PRO-Quilted-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=515402
If you really want gear that will last you a LONG time:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258

You could easily not have to buy anything else in your playing career with this gear, but I suggest you aim for around $500 if you're just starting out, with gear like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

even this will last you a long time, I have the roland cube and my guitar isn't much more expensive than the one I gave you.

The second group is more versatile, the more expensive one is almost strictly metal and hard rock.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 18, 2007,
Quick question. One of my buddies has a Peavey guitar. Something like a Peavey Raptor. He said he bought it for around 200 or so, and is willing to sell me it for half that.

Is that a good deal? If the amp is the most important part could I just buy that and get the guitar at a discount?

One thing I don't like about the guitar is that the strings are too high off the fretboard, but I'm sure this can be fixed.

what do you guys think? (btw I think I'll go with the roland cube just because I'm starting out and I can always upgrade later
a peavey raptor is an ok beginner guitar, but it wont last you very long if you are serious

its nowhere even close to the range that you have been looking at

and btw, it sells for 150 normally, you should try to get it for $75
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Raptor-Plus-EXP-Guitar?sku=511355
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
I'm definitely serious, so at least I know that it is out of the question.

I don't know what to do now. There's so many options. I'd hate to buy something like a cube and a lower-priced ibanez, only to want something better a few months down the road. Then I'd have wasted my money when I could have just bought the higher-end stuff in the first place.
Page 1 of 2