I'm considering picking up a delay pedal (probably a Boss DD-3 or 6) but I was just wondering, will it add $100 worth of tone to my current rig? (I play a lot of instrumental rock like Satriani and Vai)
Hell yes. If I could have only one effects pedal it would be a delay. Some would say wah, but I go for delay. I have the DD-3 and it's everything I hoped it would be. I kind of wish I had sprung a little extra and went with the DD-6 but I can get pretty much every sound I need from the DD-3.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
I never thought that delay would be worthwhile until I actually bought one. It really is one of the best things you can do to your tone. It's not one of those things that you'll immediately find useful, but once you start using it, you realize how much it fills out your sound. Without a doubt worth the expense.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
once you get the right settings on your delay, you will never want to play without it. thats how i am atleast.
I always play with a 8ms to 10ms delay !!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
For that style of music it IS worth it. The boss ones are great, check out the Ibanez one too, it's pretty good and easy in use and also somewhat cheaper (not worse I must add).
n00bios the cornerstone of every nutricious meal
Its definatly worth it if your into instrumental and shred etc.
Its the second most important effect in my rig (after distortion ,duh)
Definatly..... The DD6 blew me away with the features it has.... Im glad i spent the extra $50... Tap tempo makes life a hell of alot easier
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Delay is one of the best effects that exist. BUt you could go with the Visual sound H20 or the pedal that damage control makes, I forget what it's called but they both do more than just delay. The visual sound does delay and chorus i think and the damage control does a ton of cool modulation/echo
If you're planning to use it quite a bit, yes.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ hahahhaa, obvious comment.

Yes, delay has tons of uses, and it will worth it.
The Boss one with tap tempo will help you out tons. you can harmonize with yourself, make your tone thicker etc.

or cover up sloppy playing like I do.
^It worsens slopply playing if anything.... it repeats your mistake a lot of times...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I know it's a generic response, but it's worth it if you feel you will use it. I've been wanting a delay for a while, but I wouldn't sue it a whole lot, so I haven't rushed out to get one just yet. If you feel you can justify it and you'd give it a lot of use and it'd improve the sound you want, then, get it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Why is delay so great? To make my sound fuller I just use some reverb. Delay gives more of an echo that I don't really see much use for except when you really want a piece to be echo-y.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
Why is delay so great? To make my sound fuller I just use some reverb. Delay gives more of an echo that I don't really see much use for except when you really want a piece to be echo-y.

I love it because you can make some really different sounds with it rather than the generic (but obviously still useful) reverb sound.
The Stuff!
Quote by mlogans91
Thanks so much guys, I'll definitly be picking up a delay soon. But now for the big question: DD-3, 6, or 20?

Well i'd say DD-6, but for an extra $20 bucks you could just get the 20.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by R_H_C_P
^It worsens slopply playing if anything.... it repeats your mistake a lot of times...

not for me

You set it so there is so much delay, that everything is repeated a billion times over a billion years (exaggeration for idiots), that why everything will be a mess.

Hah.