First and foremost, the pics dont do anything justice, but I only have a 3 mp camera so sorry for the semi poor pic quality.
So for my first electric guitar, I got this Excel Strat.

Eventually, after seeing all these custom guitars made out of squires and stuff on UG, I decided to modify mine some. So I ordered some stuff from GFS, sanded down the body (which to my suprise was alder), and stained it, and put it all back together.

But after a while I really started to hate the way it looked, so I decided I was gonna repaint it, and put new tuners on it, and modify the neck and headstock some. So I sanded it down, got some Dupont "Metal Specks" blue paint, and painted it.

U will notice the rebel flame decal I put on as well as a white pickup cover and tone knob. I also drilled in a quarter by the tremolo cause I saw it on EVH's guitar and I liked the way it looked. Now for the headstock.

I cut it to make more "sharper and metal" looking. Also my permanent marker logo.
Back of neck.

Some random stuff I wrote on the back plus the sharp top of the P in Peavey that broke off my amp just for looks.
I also scalloped the 21st and 22nd frets to see how scalloped frets feel.
The whole guitar.

Specs:
Excel Strat Copy
Alder Body
Maple Neck w/Rosewood fretboard

Hardware (All Black)
Tremolo: Wilkonson standard Strat Tremolo- Guitar Fetish
Tuners: Schaller-like Locking tuners- Ebay
Pickguard: 3-ply- Guitar Fetish
Pickup covers: 2 black, 1 white- Guitar Fetish
Knobs- 2 black, 1 white- Guitar Fetish
Nut- Graphtech Tremnut- Ebay

Electonics
SuperStrat wiring kit- Guitar Fetish
GFS hot stagger pickups (middle pickup dead thanks to me being stupid) - Guitar Fetish

Paint- Dupont Metal Specks
Clearcoat- My dad clear coated it at where he works (diesel mechanic) so I dont know.

What do yall think of the end result? I love it, it sounds great for classic and even for metal!?!? I would post sound clips up but I have dial-up so that isnt happening. Ask questions at will.
very nice i dont especially like the back of the headstock painted but i like the color
dude that looks ****ing gnarly
i love the colour, really profesionall, and the pickup selectors are cool too ( im assuming they are on/off for each pup right?)
but i think you could have spent a little more time on the logo
but whateever, great effort
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
i rebuilt my squire, it has a paintjob thats a mix of black, blue and some other specs in there, i put emgs on it, and scalloped the entire thing, noone i know that has seen it would have any idea it were a squire.
the switches are , In Phase/Out of phase/Off, but if you switch the bridge switch to "off" it kills the whole thing, so its also like a kill switch, which I like.
Last edited by rockr09 at Feb 18, 2007,
That paint is an awesome colour, don't know if i really like the mix of white and black bits though. Top effort.
That Looks Awesome, good job. Does anyone know what wood squiers are made from, because i re-painted my brothers squier a metallic silver, but the wood looked real, not like plywood.
it looks all good, apart from logo and the stupid writing at the back

i mean 'Metallica'

wdf.
I think you should have kept it natural, and not have written on it.
It looks good though.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
^yeh it looks like you let a todler lose one on the back of the neck and also whats with the peavey p thing thats odd. but its to your liking so you can like it.

but appart from that its f*cking awesome nice job!
I agree about the neck. Maybe take some very fine grit sand paper and kill two birds with one stone, get that ugly marker off the back, and make the neck a little slimmer. maybe use some rough grit first and then finish it down with some fine grit, but don't make it too slim or there could be potential problems.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Aside from the back of the neck and the coin by the bridge (I dont know what the trend with that is lately) it looks sweet. As long as you stay about 1/4th in. from the truss rod you should be fine with sanding.

edit: also if you do the neck also make the paint from the headstock more rounded. Like where the neck starts instead of a straight line.
Sick job dude. I painted one of my dirt bikes that same color! Anyway, it looks cool, but I dont like the writing on the neck. Maybe if it was either neatly written or had an awesome design on it it would look better, but it looks like you gave it to a 4 year old to scribble on. Also the quarter on the bridge. EVH had it there for a purpose, but I still think it looked like shit on that guitar.
O the marker is pretty much gone on the neck, dont know why I did it, but it has been rubbed off, and the quarter thing... I just liked the way it looked, dont know why though. Im not sanding down the neck, its already just a bit to thin for my liking, cause I got big hands.
Quote by rafarquhar
I think you should have kept it natural, and not have written on it.
It looks good though.

Trust me, it looked like crap when I had it natural. There are many things you can't see in that pic when it was natural.

O and to the guy who said the thing about Metallica being written on the neck.
How could you tell I had wroteit? I can't from the pic. But I agree, it was stupid and was rubbed/slightly sanded off.
Last edited by rockr09 at Feb 18, 2007,
seal the neck with tung oil and have it blue that would be cool. i still don't get the peavey p but hey its up to you
I like the paint... very classy.

Did you use sharpies for the back of the neck.... cause more than likely that stuff will rub off and just make your neck black/darker.
Hai UG!
I'm guessing you "borrowed" the quarter thing, and the writing on the back of the neck thing from EVH? some stuff only Eddie can pull off, lol. (nothing against the quarter tho, kinda cool. Eddie's used to serve a purpose tho)

Nice job though otherwise. Love the color, and the shape of the headstock. very nice.
Quote by appetite4gnr
I'm guessing you "borrowed" the quarter thing, and the writing on the back of the neck thing from EVH? some stuff only Eddie can pull off, lol. (nothing against the quarter tho, kinda cool. Eddie's used to serve a purpose tho)

Nice job though otherwise. Love the color, and the shape of the headstock. very nice.

Nope, just borrowed the quarter idea, plus since the marker rubbed off it made it look kinda vintage-ish.
Love it, except all the shit you wrote in permanent marker on the back of the neck, it really really ruins it. What were you thinking?