well i inherited a guitar 7 years ago from my grandpa and i am just starting to learn now, my mum said that first i have to get lessons for half a year before i can play it, i agreed with her. problem is we went and got it checked out by my guitar teacher and he says that all the electrics in it are ancient and probably won't work he gave it a try anyways he was right the guitar made a horrible sound and he just unplugged it saying just keep it for sentemental value cause u can't replace any of the parts in it and it doesn't work. i was pretty sad but it doesn't matter i'm starting out with prolly the crappiest guitar out there a behringer v-tone guitar amp pack...a big stepdown from my grandpa's guitar o well if ya want to check out my other thread and have a lok at the guitar go to this url:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523192&highlight=inheritence

ok so yea just thought i would tell my story plz post whateva ur thinking i want to know what u think about my story and i appreciate u reading it i know it would of taken some time to read.

Thanks
Chris
Unscrew the bit at the back were all the wires are, It maybe one or two wires came unsolderd, just solder them back on.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Agreed. There is no reason why you can't replace the parts.
Thats a nice guitar(your grand fathers). To bad it won't work , well good luck with your guitar.
the behringer v-pack isnt good for even starting out.

as for the electronics, it's all bullshit. 1950's fenders still play. just remove pickguard, and the backplate, and post pics on UG, and u'll be helped.
At the end of the day you can take all the parts out and replace them if you want, why would there be any reason that you couldn't?
You can fix it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
It's definitely fixable, but if it requires replacing parts then I'd definitely hesitate. That's when you have to think if you're keeping it to play on or keeping it as a memento. And no one can really help you there.
Post pics of the wiring, could be some old decayin wiring.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
i don't want to sound negative but if the wiring is shot then there is a fair chance that the pickup windings are in a similar condition, also the switches and control knobs may need replacement.

get it checked out by an electrician.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i don't want to sound negative but if the wiring is shot then there is a fair chance that the pickup windings are in a similar condition, also the switches and control knobs may need replacement.

get it checked out by an electrician.

So? It's not like he can't buy new pick ups.
'^Juding by the pictures, the pickups aren't standard pick up sizes... Maybe mini-humbuckers or something would fit?
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
You make it sound like the guitar is over 400 years old ...when you say it can't be fixed.

Guitars havent been around THAT long...every guitar can still be fixed.

maybe it will get some new parts instead of the original..but still..it'll work. :p

most likely is a lose wire yeah......
Quote by Scorzerci
'^Juding by the pictures, the pickups aren't standard pick up sizes... Maybe mini-humbuckers or something would fit?

I'm sure if he really wants it to work out, he can find some on Ebay.
^ as a last resort they could always be re-wound of course.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
you can rewind the pups to vintage specs and replace all of the wiring and pots (keep the knobs) its not that hard and getting it playable should only cost a ouple hundred bucks at the most.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Dobzilla
So? It's not like he can't buy new pick ups.

i was merely pointing out that it could be more than just replacing a bit of wiring. obviously i know that he could buy new pickups.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I think it should be repairable.Maybe throw in some P-90 pups in it.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
i wouldnt replace the pups in a vintage guitar like that, id get them rewound if they need it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Whatever you do keep all the original stuff. Safely.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Does anyone know what the four buttons along the top are? I've seen those on a lot of vintage guitars.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
It won't be a hard job getting it to work again.

All you have to make sure is that you keep all the original parts in a safe place. I do this even when I'm replacing parts on junky guitars. You never know if youll need to for resale or just generally.

It'd be worth getting the guitar to work so that when you really get into playing you can keep your grandpa's memory alive.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Calum_Barrow
^ as a last resort they could always be re-wound of course.

i think having them rewound even though its the most troublesome solution is the way to go.

thats a quirky rare guitar so try and get it fixed in such a way that it retains its original character.

it CAN be repaired its just the guy you took it to is clearly a lazy sod....
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Yeah, just go through and try to replace the wiring and solder. Just how long did this just sit around and collect dust before you picked it up and took an interest in playing it?

Anyway, nice pedals. I'd kill for those, especially the MXR.
Music is a weapon. Use it wisely.

"So retire the ships, the final voyage was his ..."

Quote by kaktusnpoop (on Norma Jean)
I think they use Botch guitars tuned to drop Botch.