Hi everyone,

I've been looking out for an amp+electric guitar combo to start with.
What I'd play primarily encompasses metal, but it's not limited to it:
Muse
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Alice in Chains
RatM
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Foo Fighters
GnR
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Opeth

Would an RG321MH + Roland Cube 15X (I can't stretch my budget to the 30X) be suitable for all that? From my reading it's a metal/shredding guitar, but is it suitable for stuff like Muse/APC/Pink Floyd/Led Zep too?

Also, I've got small hands-- is the neck on it a good fit for a beginner (who has never played before) who has relatively small hands?

Thanks!
It's got one of the tinnest necks on the market, so don't worry about your hands.

and versatility comes mainly from the amp you're using, and the cube is really versatile.
Orange Enthousiast.
Thats a very very nice package to get started with, but I presume it has a floating bridge which isnt good to start with. Get a Yamaha Pacifica and the Cube :-)

You can play anything on any guitar, it doesn't have to be genre specific. You can play death metal with a strat, or blues. You can play death metal on an Ibanez RG, but the blues isn't gonna sound too good. Ibanez aren't reknown for their tone, but they're good guitars for the price. Go with the Pacifica :-)
The RG321mh is an excellent guiat for the money, it can achieve a variety of sounds with its 5 way pickup selector. The only thing you should consider is whether you want a tremolo or not, if you prefer not, then the fixed bridge on the rg321mh is ideal as it holds its tuning pretty well. I would have thought the neck would be excellent for you as it's pretty thin.

I highly recommend this guitar.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

get the mini cube instead of the x15 cube. it's much more versatile, and amazingly loud for size (if not too loud for bedroom practice). plus it has like 10 more options and effects on it.

Tan
Ahh I thought he did mean the microcube.. Yamaha Pacifica + Roland Microcube = best starter gear you could get <£200
Quote by madmk
Ahh I thought he did mean the microcube.. Yamaha Pacifica + Roland Microcube = best starter gear you could get <£200

+1

and small hands would be no issue on any 6 string electric imho. ive got small hands, but the only guitar i cant play is a gibson/epi les paul. i dont feel comfortable with that.
With regards to the Pacifica VS Ibanez, I'm still leaning towards the Ibanez as I'll still primarily be playing metal, just not limited to it.

With the amp thing, can anyone else offer a view on Cube 15X VS Microcube? Since the Microcube is only 2 Watts, doesn't that mean the 15X is .. well, 7 times as powerful? What practical benefit is there from the extra features on the Microcube?

Thanks!
Quote by Raags
Since the Microcube is only 2 Watts, doesn't that mean the 15X is .. well, 7 times as powerful? What practical benefit is there from the extra features on the Microcube?

Thanks!

Not necessarily, but for what you're going to use the 15X for (ie bedroom practise) there is not much point getting a loud amp, the 2W microcube is plenty enough to piss my roommate and the rooms around me when I turn it up passed a quarter

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by madmk
Thats a very very nice package to get started with, but I presume it has a floating bridge which isnt good to start with. Get a Yamaha Pacifica and the Cube :-)

You can play anything on any guitar, it doesn't have to be genre specific. You can play death metal with a strat, or blues. You can play death metal on an Ibanez RG, but the blues isn't gonna sound too good. Ibanez aren't reknown for their tone, but they're good guitars for the price. Go with the Pacifica :-)

It has a fixed bridge, which means no problem