Hey guys, i'm the vocalist/lead guitarist for my band and do a lot of songwriting. None of the other members of my band are particularly motivated to write music or lyrics by themselves, but i try to keep them involved as much as possible when writing songs as a band. Unfortunately i pretty much end up writing the whole song myself, as no-one really contributes (I even tell the drummer what to do sometimes dammit!), and I really don't want to have this situation where I say "here's the song, here are your parts, learn them," because the main purpose of this band is to have fun (we'll only be together until we finish school in a couple years). Any tips on how to get the other guys more motivated/engaged?
I'm in the same situation as you

At first I was just writing song and "deliver" to them. Now I tend just to write the "main structure" (and the lyrics of course)...you know - just some basic chords and melody. Then we get all together sit around and with 2 acoustics write the rest of the song - based on my general idea
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
I'm in the same boat as your two, too. I do all the writing because "I'm good at it".

No I'm not.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I'm also stuck in the same boat as you guys. My band, especially my drummer, has a problem with the fact that when I write songs, I write the whole band. My drummer gets mad at me when I tell him the part I want him to play, because otherwise he'd being playing the generic rock beat with the dotted eighth, which doesn't always fit. But as far as songwriting goes, there's really nothing you can do except start writing really bad music. Maybe that will get them motivated, but I have been unable to get my band more involved in the songwriting process.
How often do you guys jam? I always find that's a way to pull creativity out of people, and if they refuse point blank to do any writing then it's either lack of confidence on their behalf or laziness...so it would be a good idea to find out which. The latter is certainly not desirable, the former can be remedied.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
I'm also stuck in the same boat as you guys. My band, especially my drummer, has a problem with the fact that when I write songs, I write the whole band. My drummer gets mad at me when I tell him the part I want him to play, because otherwise he'd being playing the generic rock beat with the dotted eighth, which doesn't always fit. But as far as songwriting goes, there's really nothing you can do except start writing really bad music. Maybe that will get them motivated, but I have been unable to get my band more involved in the songwriting process.

My drummer has a problem with telling me to write "crazily insane solo lead riffs that go RANANANRURURORORORURUR REEE REEEE REEE PINCH HARMONIC RERERLIERLERLEGNDSJK;GHSDUAGHJKDVGASHLGJKSDAHGSO;ANBVJSDFAGHERIGAS!!1"

It gets annoying some times. Especially since I can't write super duper fast crazy stuff, let alone play it after some one else writes it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I'm in the exact same situation.....

I write 100% of the music (even though the only instruments I own are guitar and a keyboard, I write bass too and just give the drummer a general idea of what's going on....) and the drummer and I both write the lyrics. My bassist is obsessed with Runescape at the moment (for those who don't know, a Warcraft-like online game) and spent our entire last practice on my computer. The keyboardist decides to sit around watching NASCAR intstead of practicing, the drummer won't let us practice at his house anymore, and that leaves me to do everything. I figure if the rest of the band doesn't like the music that I write, they can just write some themselves......

P.S. I wirte almost a mix of psychadellic and folk sounds, the bassist wants us to be Green Day, the drummer wants us to be Sum 41, and the keyboardist has no idea what's going on.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Ok. First, If you find that You are the only ONE making all the parts and You are getting No help, find a new band. It dont matter if they are your best friends, or you have known them sense birth, Dump them. In my band, we have a drummer, guitarist, bassist and a singer. Guess what. We make our own parts to what ever I(the singer) or the guitaist have. We build as we go, and If we get stuck we all work on it. You guys(girls) need to get with your bandmates and have a talk. If they are so lazy and dependent to have you carry them to gigs,which is the goal, tell them to be creative or find the damn door.
Me-You're a fucking retard
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Me-So you agree?
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
haha i'm in almost the same situation, My bassist writes the lyrics, i write lyrics but i keep them for my own solo singer/songwriter thing. And i write my vocal line, my guitar part, the bass part, and the guitar part, the drummer can write. We only have one original so far.

But i've been showing the people that cant write stuff, how to write stuff. So we'll see what happens. So far we've just been learning covers cuz I refuse to write everything.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!