Page 1 of 2
hey there, i dont know if im the only one with this problem, but i go through pairs of strings pretty fast, not in a way you may think thoughhh

i wash my hands everytime befiore i play the guitar, but i guess my finger acid is really strong? my strings get dull and black very quickly, and starting to get pissssed now that i have been paying alot on strings cause i have been playing more, but im talking like month or less and the strings are bad....any help?
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
haha! finger acid i really doubt that your fingers leak battery acid so they eat through your strings

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
don't combine personal anal stimulation and guitar playing.

you make a good point and all, but i dont play with my thumb, so i think im good...anyone else want to take a whiff at this (get it) aha
Your playing more and your strings are wearing out quicker... Yer I have absolutely no idea what could cause that.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
to zwound, i use ernie ball..

and also whats fast fret?

i also should mention i do clean my strings, i think my fingers are just oily really bad and shold join the circus or something
I have the same problem. You've just got more acid in your sweat than an average human does.

There's really not much you can do about it, except wash your hands before you play and whipe the strings thoroughly after you play. No brand of wonderstrings is going to help you.

Unless, ofcourse, you're just using crappy strings that start sucking really fast anyway

P.S.: I've tried Fast Fret... Doesn't work for me, only greases the whole thing up. I hate it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
ya man, i hear ya...our fingers are wierd ahaha...

are enire balls considered shit strings?
no. they're my favourtite. they're super durable, and got realtively good tone.

hate d'addarios. icould go through 3 packs a day :S
Quote by zwound
no. they're my favourtite. they're super durable, and got realtively good tone.

hate d'addarios. icould go through 3 packs a day :S

Exactly the opposite for me.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I have problems with both d'addarios and EB's, Elixer strings tend to last much longer (I go through strings very fast, acid sweat) with me, although the high e to g string always rust earlier than the bass strings.

I recommend getting elixers, and buying little 1-string packages from another brand to switch out rusted strings, the elixer 4th through 6th strings will last for ages.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
There's a couple of things you can try here. Keep washing your hands before playing - that's a good start. I know for a fact that Fender makes stainless steel strings for guys like you with sweating problems. There must be other companies that do, also. I can't speak for the tone or what gauges they come in. If you're not interested in that, try a string made out of nickel. It's a naturally acid resistant metal. Another thing you can do is get a lintless rag, like an old tee shirt and some "rubbing alcohol" from the local pharmacy ( or for you Brits out there, "The Chemist") and douse the rag in a small area, and rub the strings, fretboard, and neck down real good. Don't do this near an open flame, or while smoking a cig or doobie. I suspect you are leaving residual acid on the strings and fretboard that is "making lunch" out of your strings. I don't sweat but still do that. It helps prolong the life and tone of the string by preventing dead skin, finger oils, and what not from getting caught in the string windings. Let us know how you make out.
Quote by GotRock?
There's a couple of things you can try here. Keep washing your hands before playing - that's a good start. I know for a fact that Fender makes stainless steel strings for guys like you with sweating problems. There must be other companies that do, also. I can't speak for the tone or what gauges they come in. If you're not interested in that, try a string made out of nickel. It's a naturally acid resistant metal. Another thing you can do is get a lintless rag, like an old tee shirt and some "rubbing alcohol" from the local pharmacy ( or for you Brits out there, "The Chemist") and douse the rag in a small area, and rub the strings, fretboard, and neck down real good. Don't do this near an open flame, or while smoking a cig or doobie. I suspect you are leaving residual acid on the strings and fretboard that is "making lunch" out of your strings. I don't sweat but still do that. It helps prolong the life and tone of the string by preventing dead skin, finger oils, and what not from getting caught in the string windings. Let us know how you make out.

Alcohol will dry your fretboard if it's rosewood. Avoid putting any kind of solvent on your fretboard.

The alcohol is fine for the strings though. I've noticed that it doesn't clean any better than a rag, but you can try it if you want.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Octavianus
I have problems with both d'addarios and EB's, Elixer strings tend to last much longer (I go through strings very fast, acid sweat) with me, although the high e to g string always rust earlier than the bass strings.

I recommend getting elixers, and buying little 1-string packages from another brand to switch out rusted strings, the elixer 4th through 6th strings will last for ages.

+1

I use the nanowebs 12-52. They last for centuries.
Quote by Resiliance
I have the same problem. You've just got more acid in your sweat than an average human does.

I've tried Fast Fret... Doesn't work for me, only greases the whole thing up. I hate it.

yeh i have that problem too, just put money aside evry month 4 strings its the only way to deal with it. and fast fret is greasy as hell and squeky
Get some DR coated strings. The coating on them might just help you out there.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I think it's the strings. When I was using Ernie Balls (i used super slinkies, 9-42), they would blacken up in a couple of hours. I have since switched to DRs, incredible strings. For the past couple months I've been using the lite-n-tites (9-42), and those are much better than the Ernie Balls. They still blackened up kinda quick. My last change of strings were the DR Extras, the coated/colored strings. My bro picked up two packs, a blue and silver one. I picked the silver one, I put them on at least 2-3 weeks ago. They're still shining like I just put them on last night. They're basically the perfect strings, just a little expensive ($10 a pack)
Dean Markley strings are the most durable I've ever had, ever. I am amazed. I dunno if they're just in Canada, I buy them at Long&McQuade.

This pair has lasted since end of November! Thats like.... 2 and a bit months. They're great. I don't know what they're coated with but they have a strange quality to them. They're slippery, but just enough to allow quick playing with no holdups.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Dean Markley strings are the most durable I've ever had, ever. I am amazed. I dunno if they're just in Canada, I buy them at Long&McQuade.

This pair has lasted since end of November! Thats like.... 2 and a bit months. They're great. I don't know what they're coated with but they have a strange quality to them. They're slippery, but just enough to allow quick playing with no holdups.
Are they the Blue Steels? I wanted to try those, been hearing lots of good things about them...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
are you dryin your hands right, cus if they are wet theyll make the strings rust
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
i'm so glad i don't have this problem, my string sets can last for years if i don't bother to change them...

but yea i knwo people with that kind of chemistry. strings turn black, sometimes they're pickup poles get all green and rusty too. hell. they're hats get kinda bleached out around the 'sweatband' part too..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
This is not a problem with strings, so disregard every post that says it is.

I've had the same problem all 5 years I've played guitar. My hands are always super sweaty and clammy, even when it is freezing cold. Withing a day or so of putting new strings on, they turn black (especially frets I play a lot), and it kills a lot of the brightness of the string. It doesn't cause the strings to break though, I hardly ever break a string.

I've tried washing my hands before I play, tried wiping the strings down, tried using dozens of string brands, nothing makes a difference. Using coated strings helps a little bit, but not much.

It's never been too much of a deal though, and I think it gives me a bit of a unique, smooth tone. Better get used to it, unless you're planning on getting a hand transplant.
It might be your strings. Ernie ball strings usually go dead in a matter of days for me.
Rory Gallagher has the same problem and he said somewhere that you should use light gauge strings because of it...cant remember the article though but it seems reasonable.

edit:I meant shouldn't but either way disregard this post.
Last edited by fendabenda at Feb 18, 2007,
I use light gauge strings anyway, but what is the reasoning behind that?
I had the same problem. I switched to Elixer Nanoweb coated strings and they last much longer! D'addario strings would get old in like a week or something, and elixers lasts a couple of month!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Jimmy94
This is not a problem with strings, so disregard every post that says it is.

I've had the same problem all 5 years I've played guitar. My hands are always super sweaty and clammy, even when it is freezing cold. Withing a day or so of putting new strings on, they turn black (especially frets I play a lot), and it kills a lot of the brightness of the string. It doesn't cause the strings to break though, I hardly ever break a string.

I've tried washing my hands before I play, tried wiping the strings down, tried using dozens of string brands, nothing makes a difference. Using coated strings helps a little bit, but not much.

It's never been too much of a deal though, and I think it gives me a bit of a unique, smooth tone. Better get used to it, unless you're planning on getting a hand transplant.

So explain to me why when I used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, they blackened up in a matter of hours (over the frets I played the most), whereas my DR Extras are still shining like I just put them on, through more playtime, and more overall time they've been out of the packaging? As I've said before, these have been on for over two weeks, and I've been playing quite a bit.
Quote by Jimmy94

Actually disregard what I said I misread the article and it says that he prefers heavier strings not because of his sweat problem but because of their richer sound.
Quote by SolidxSnake
So explain to me why when I used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, they blackened up in a matter of hours (over the frets I played the most), whereas my DR Extras are still shining like I just put them on, through more playtime, and more overall time they've been out of the packaging? As I've said before, these have been on for over two weeks, and I've been playing quite a bit.

Maybe you don't have this problem and EB strings suck ass?

Click.
The reason everyone is having different experiences with strings is because we are all different.

Everyone's sweat will be slightly different, the strings that react least to you are a reflection of this. For some EB's will last longest, for some the may last about a day. Just find the strings that work best for you.

Keep up the hand washing and cleaning your strings. You may find a set of strings which works for use and then stick with those but for now keep trying new ones I guess.
Quote by Jimmy94

Lighter gauges usually sound brighter, so the dirt and gunk buildup will act to cancel out the brightness.

As strings get thicker, more emphasis is put on the lower overtones.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Thank you all for all the posts, read everyone. And I came up with a conclusion to my problem...or what I think could help me out. Here it is.

Im gonna keep up with the washing hand's before playing guitar, and will wipe the guitar's with some sorta cleaner for string's I think I saw at Guitar Center. And also going to try some sort of a Nickel String of a different brand besides Ernie Ball, Cuase actually its all I ever used. Im learning more towards Elixir...But ya hopefully all doing will help me.

And maybe play with a fan blowing or something, but really thanks for all the help!
B-52 Bombers, and fast fret = cheap and my stings last round 2 months
My gear:
Ibanez jem555, rg320, rg170dx
Ashton gt100 amp
boss me50
Quote by brandenetc
Thank you all for all the posts, read everyone. And I came up with a conclusion to my problem...or what I think could help me out. Here it is.

Im gonna keep up with the washing hand's before playing guitar, and will wipe the guitar's with some sorta cleaner for string's I think I saw at Guitar Center. And also going to try some sort of a Nickel String of a different brand besides Ernie Ball, Cuase actually its all I ever used. Im learning more towards Elixir...But ya hopefully all doing will help me.

And maybe play with a fan blowing or something, but really thanks for all the help!

I'd recommend a pack of DR colored strings before the Elixirs. I believe they're cheaper than the Elixirs. I've never used Elixirs, so I don't know if their strings have the brightness the DRs have, and I don't know if they're as flexible (first time I used DRs, I was afraid I'd break the string from a bend).

If you're not a big fan of colored strings, grab some silver colored DRs, the wound strings look like a darker nylon wound string, the plain strings look the same as any other.
Quote by SolidxSnake

Because ernie ball's aren't very good anyway. They disentegrate after I play them for a few minutes. But all of my strings blacken after about two days, and I've tried DR's, D'Addrios, elixer's, ernie ball, GHS, blue steel, fender bullets, gibson special alloy, cleartone coated, Martin, dean markely, black diamond and snarling dogs... the list goes on and on. Tons of coated and non-coated strings.
I feel for any one with this issue a long time friend has the same problem and always has. Poor guy I make him wipe down any of my guitars, even if even noodles for a minute.

I am not sure about different sets of strings or if it helps he has played different sets from time to time, but 99% of the time uses Ernie balls . He goes though so many sets its probably cheaper. I do know he has to restring after every weekend gig no more than two nights and his strings are toast, black the first and dead by the second. He also has to clean his guitars frets and fret board a lot.

I do his setups for him and sometimes it freaking grosses me out how bad they get. I think he just stops cleaning the guitar if he knows hes gonna bring one in. Good thing I have known him for 30 years or I would charge him double rate (LOL)

I think this is a deal you will just have to adjust to and be kind to who ever sets your stuff up.
Page 1 of 2