K guys. been in two bands that split up because of continuous arguments. most of the time the arguing was based on our songs, cos i was the song writer and after taking the time to craft IMO a fairly decent song, there would always be something they wanted to change bout it and before you know it, it was totally different, sharing no riffs or licks from the base design. so since i love writing songs and on my own i can sing, play guitar kinda good, play bass (obv not at the same time as playing guitar lol), play keyboard/piano really good, and computerize some drumming, i thought of being a solo artist. but as I'm only 14 does it seem a good idea or not?

Thanx in advance
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
Well, assume you get famous.

Take Teddy Geiger for example. All the teenage girls love him, and would willing have sex with him.

All the guys in forums like this hate him, whether he has talent or not.
i'm not sure why but i only took in about 50% of what you said. there were like 3 sentences there. and no, being a solo artist is generally assumed to be for people who can't play in a band, or are too arrogant.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
i'm not sure why but i only took in about 50% of what you said. there were like 3 sentences there. and no, being a solo artist is generally assumed to be for people who can't play in a band, or are too arrogant.

Quote by jhardcore
All the guys in forums like this hate him, whether he has talent or not.

Yeah but who cares about UG?
one man bands = hot shit

there seem to be a large number of one man black metal bands.

but don;t give up on bands completely, or you could find yourself without any friends.
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
It's a great way to get a creative output. I like being a solo artist more than being in my band actually, as there is noone to second guess your change in style or whatever you want to do.

Go ahead man. You'll feel better if you get a few acoustic shows or whatever.
Your 14 for ****s sake.

I find it difficult to take anyone under 16 seriously, when music is concerned.

My advice to you is to wait a couple of years so you, and your music ability to mature. You have your whole ****ing life ahead of you to decide whether you wanna be a "teenage solo artist".
most solo artists have like backup bands that play the music that they can't play cause obviously you cant play every instrument at the same time. so you should make the people who have to play the other instruments live part of your band, just tell them they have no creative control.
Depends on your age i guess. It seems like the younger the members are, the faster they fade away and are forgotten. 19 or 20 is a great age, but i think being 13 and 14 trying to make it big is a bad idea in certain cases. Unless you're Wolfie Van Halen
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I think perhaps you need to learn how to collaborate with other people and learn to accept their opinions and ideas.
oi bro jus tgo for it its worth a shot for sure. I'm 14 and I also write music and Im learning to sing so i know hwo you feel. I'm also the songwriter for the band but you shoudl find a band that appreciates coz I bet they sucjk anyway.
Quote by Pirate_Si
Your 14 for ****s sake.

My advice to you is to wait a couple of years so you, and your music ability to mature. You have your whole ****ing life ahead of you to decide whether you wanna be a "teenage solo artist".

agreed, chances are you're no mozart.
Quote by Pirate_Si
Your 14 for ****s sake.

I see your point. Why not just make songs for yourself and enjoy it?
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
and no, being a solo artist is generally assumed to be for people who can't play in a band, or are too arrogant.

That, my friend, was such an ignorant statement I can't even begin to believe you said it. Being a solo artist isn't about thinking the world of yourself, it's about being able to create music you want to make, without other people making it into their own song.

If you want to be a solo artist, go ahead, it'll be great fun, but you might want to have a band too, so you get more gigging experience and become tighter with other musicians. And now that you get to write your own songs with nobody else's input, you can work as a band to create music without becoming annoyed at the other members.
Oi give the kid a chance like your dissing some 14 year old kid over the net on a forum about guitars like come on? And my advice to you kid is not to take advice from anyone on these forums or on the net theyre mostly sad musicians who thought they were ognna make it but cant get over that they sucked. kepe it up and dont become one of them
sure write and record your own tracks and stuff but you probably won't make it very far at your age, just keep on playing and recording stuff for when your'e older
POST FINDER
get a backing band together, tell them u write the songs (lyrics and main rhythm etc) get some gigs and go from there.

i dont think its a very good idea though, why want be a solo artist as a teenager? im 17, no band, but im in no rush to try and record a demo or anythin. just take your time with this kinda thing. just cuz u get signed and release a record or stuff like that, doesnt mean uve made it. its ALOT of hard work. with a band , at least its spread across 3 or 4 ppl.
Quote by ktm_101
Oi give the kid a chance like your dissing some 14 year old kid over the net on a forum about guitars like come on? And my advice to you kid is not to take advice from anyone on these forums or on the net theyre mostly sad musicians who thought they were ognna make it but cant get over that they sucked. kepe it up and dont become one of them

Hey nice post man, you woke me up. I've only been spending like 30 mins max on guitar every day lately, and the rest on UG. I gotta start getting into guitar for hours again like I used to, THanks!
Same position as you dude. 15, experience in bands, bands disagreed with a lot my creative output...etc. I'm a singer/bassist/pianist, though can play guitar well, so I'm giving it a shot solo, and it feels great to have nothing holding you back. It's free experimentation. It's music for yourself. Go ahead and do it
At 14 you should just be learning everything you can about you instrument, you definatly should stick with a band but you and ppl your age arnt (by the sound of it) old enough and wise enough to work together.. just practice like mad and become the best if you work everyday on you playing by the time your 20 you could be amazingly good!! then you would have it easy!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx

You really have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
No, what untill you are atleast 18. Then clubs and managers will take you seriously. Get another band together and work on your sound. That's what I do.
if you have had sex already then i say....why not? although if you do it will be hard for you to break out of the pop star kid thing but if your making lots of money is it really a bad thing?
"Member of The Allman Brothers Band > Masturbation Club - PM TheHeartbreaker to Join"

v for vendetta kicked much ass!!!
agreed, chances are you're no mozart.

I play guitar. i wouldnt say i was mozart, im more of a beethoven.

I see your point. Why not just make songs for yourself and enjoy it?

i do have a fair few "songs" that ive made up. but they're without lyrics, im more of a music man, i leave the lyrics up to someone else. I dont have any beef with people doing there own stuff. i just wouldnt take it too seriously if i was only 14, i would at least wait til my balls of dropped. I mean, what the **** do 14 year olds have to write songs about? its not like they have actual problems.
I'm sixteen and play as a solo acoustic singer/songwriter mostly out of convenience more then anything else. There are plenty of musicians I could make a band with, but they don't really have the commitment for band or the time for a band, so I just play by myself, and it works fine.
Quote by ktm_101
oi bro jus tgo for it its worth a shot for sure. I'm 14 and I also write music and Im learning to sing so i know hwo you feel. I'm also the songwriter for the band but you shoudl find a band that appreciates coz I bet they sucjk anyway.

You are an arrogant jerk.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
yer dude, GOOD IDEA, Jajp001 is an amazing soloist and he's teen
HEY LOOK FREE BEER DUDES

NUMBAH 1 MEMBER OF BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD OWN CLUB Pm me to join

Member of the "I Hope MCR Are In a Plane Crash and There Are No Survivors" Club
PM sunnysayshi To Join

UG Profile
Quote by grantml02
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
+1
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx: